• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite What's your favorite Burger joint?

roper2008 said:
In-N-Out Burger, but I don't live in California anymore.  Haven't found anything good here.

You have 2 choices.

Go north to the land of yankees and White Manna in Hackensack NJ or head south to Hotlanta and Vortex. Better yet, Holman & Finch.

I grew up in Western Mass:

http://whitehut.com/

It's been there since 1939 and if it had a menu it'd be very simple: burgers, hotdogs, fries, shakes, It was actually kind of a local scandal when they added dogs, but the dogs are pretty good. They fry em first and then finish on the grill. If you get aburger there- get it with cheese and their fried onions.

I was excited a month or so ago about NYC's Shake Shack coming to Austin but now ever body I have talked to that has eaten at both Shake Shack and In-N-Out, the consensus is INO kills Shake Shack. And of those same folks its unanimous, 5 Guys gets the finger.

Hey TB, give it  SS a shot, you never know.  Yeah, although I would eat at five guys every day of the week before McDs or BurgerKing, it is hardly good.

The five guys here is pretty good, they have a toppings bar that is exceptional, you can get whatever you want, and the fries are great and they give you a SoFlo Shitton of them.  My only issue is that they insist on cooking each burger to well done.

Oh Really?... because at the 5 guys i go to they actually leave a little pink. :clap:   I guess it really does depend on the quality of the service at a location.

Scoville DeVille said:
Yeah! I have only been to one 5 Guys ever. It was in Zephyrhills Florida, and it was fantastic. Not even in the same class as mcDs and Burger Sling. If there was a 5 Guys within 100 miles from me, I would hit it up 20-30 times a week.
I'm with you, Scovie! The only time I get to 5 Guys is when we go to North Myrtle on vacation :-(...Maybe that's why she wants to move there  :think:

I hear North Myrtle is a pretty cool place. Now it just got even cooler!

Heck, maybe I want to move there. LOL

Most memorable Burger, ok;,

Well to start there used to be a place in Tacoma, don't know if it's still there or not, called The Rams Old Place. It was a little pub and for $5.00 (1977 prices) you could get a 1/2 pound burger with all the trimmings, big load of Steak Fries cooked perfectly and a Beer. 

Next there was a place in Chattanooga when I was stationed there, we loved called Backyard Burgers. Nice fat burgers on toasted buns, meat hanging out the sides. Crisp and tender fries. Good eating!

​
Of course with my wife coming from just North of Atlanta, The Vortex Bar and Grill, Big fat burgers and some of the most outrageous toppings ever. Last time I was there I had​
the Big Bad Voodoo Patty with Chipotle Cream Cheese, Bacon and a Sweet and Spicy Green pepper Jelly. The waiter just about messed himself when I pulled out some Ghost Pepper sauce and spiced it up a bit more. Deffentaly a gotta try place if your ever in the Atlanta area.

Down here in Florida, our Five Guys is great. They ask how you want your burger and yep, more fries than your ever going to want to finish. I've even gone in there with a couple of buddies just for a fry pigout :)

EDIT:
 Oh yeah, and if your ever in Atlanta, it might not be the best burger you've ever had but if your going to a Braves game it's Tradition to go to The Varsity, "What'll ya have?"  and if your ever in Decatur, GA you can get one of the Original Luther Burgers served on a Krispy Kream Doughnut ;)

Oh yeah... I totally forgot about Backyard Burgers... their burgers were fantastic... but they just werent big enough!!! :hell:
As far as memorable burgers go... the burger joint  we hit up on Haight-Ashbury in San Fran, "Burger Urge," was out of this world... i forgot to include that one on my original list...

On a side note... places that advertised great burgers but were kinda meh include "Hugh Jass Burgers"

So i just got this in the mail, so pumped, a whole booked dedicated to BURGERS, in the state i live in. The author spent a year travelling Australia (also the world) eating burgers, approx. 1000, and put together this book.

Can't wait to work my way through them

DSC00204.JPG

Outstanding Boom!

There's a similar book here in the states called Hamburger America by George Motz.

He went around the country chasing the burger demon.

Good stuff.

Sorry I'm late to the topic...so, it seems the gist is that Scovie likes dicks. 

Noted. 

:rofl: 

We have a small small chain (like 3-4 restaurants) of "Sam's Superburgers" - they have a bacon double cheeseburger that's flippin outstanding. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Sorry I'm late to the topic...so, it seems the gist is that Scovie likes dicks. 

Noted. 

:rofl:

We have a small small chain (like 3-4 restaurants) of "Sam's Superburgers" - they have a bacon double cheeseburger that's flippin outstanding. 

http://samssuperburgers.com/

Thats my kind of joint!

Gimme' a single cheese, no bacon, mustard and pickles only por favor.

Looks like they do frozen crinkle cuts but thats okay. 

I prefer O'rings anyhow.

texas blues said:

http://samssuperburgers.com/

Thats my kind of joint!

Gimme' a single cheese, no bacon, mustard and pickles only por favor.

Looks like they do frozen crinkle cuts but thats okay. 

I prefer O'rings anyhow.

That's the one!  Grease factor of 11, and while the fries are indeed frozen, the bacon is double thick cut and they don't skimp on it neither. 

There are better burgers in the bay area, but for those you gotta sit down and get a menu and stuff like that. Not Sam's - waddle on up to the window, then shove it right through your burger hole. 
Oh, it's also been there like 70 years. The owner is the original owner's grandson. 

I had my first 5 Guys burger yesterday, better than the typical fast food burger but nothing really stood out to me. They didn't ask how I wanted the meat done,  just took my order and slapped it on the grill.

This is the place I want to try next, it's local, make sure you go to the menu:

http://bspotburgers.com/

Dick's--Spokane Wa.
Mostly for the "Buy The Bagfull" and greasy fries made hourly from raw potatoes.
Basic food---burger on a bun and a load of fries, but as a former party animal who previously spent most of my spare cash (as a young and single seeker-of-the-buzz) on "diversions", it was lead in the belly before Raman noodles came to the country in cheap little packages.

Now of course, anyone who can turn out a monster Bacon, Mushroom, Swiss burger that isn't raw in the burger or bacon portion gets a ding.

Back