• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Where has AJ been, I'll tell ya'

Mike, I'd have to check again but it seems to me that grinding it less time is the hottest after 3 minutes will be fairly mild. I'll look it up.

what you see in the pics outside is about 1/4 of the yard and the plants inside are demanding my time...I am thinking about hiring someone to help me transplant....
Coincidence ? There is a certain member here that is moving your way next month, from the big dry gulch, that could be looking for a new job ;)

Mike, I'd have to check again but it seems to me that grinding it less time is the hottest after 3 minutes will be fairly mild. I'll look it up.

Pepperlover,

I checked a couple of sites to make sure my memory wasn't failing me. At least in this instance, it hasn't. :eek:

For less-hot horseradish add the vinegar 1-2 minutes after processing, for more-hot wait up to 6-8 minutes. You will not taste much of the vinegar.
and
The sharp and piquant flavor and the penetrating smell of horseradish become apparent when the root is grated or ground. This is because the root contains highly volatile oils which are released by enzyme activity when the root cells are crushed. In processed horseradish, vinegar stops this reaction and stabilizes the flavor. So the degree of heat is determined by when the vinegar is added to the fresh horseradish. For milder horseradish, the vinegar is added immediately.

Mike

Coincidence ? There is a certain member here that is moving your way next month, from the big dry gulch, that could be looking for a new job ;)

giggling here at you LD...did you notice the date stamp on my post you responded to?...was April 2010...but, with that being said...if TB will hurry up and "come on down", I could certainly use the help around the first of March...

***giggin you here***

The ground finally thawed enough to dig up a plant - that thing was huge and I don't have a clue how deep the roots go - I almost needed a back-hoe to get it out! It's every bit of six inches wide, surely enough to make a half-gallon.

I scraped the edges of a couple of roots, cut them into smaller pieces and tossed them into a food processor. No fumes, burning or watering of the eyes or nose. Let it sit for seven minutes before adding the vinegar. Mixed that up in the FP and still nothing unusual - until I took the lid off. It took me three tries to scrape it all out! My eyes stung, even though I was producing lots of tears, my nose burned, I would start to get dizzy!

But does it taste great! No way will I smother a pork chop with it but I can't wait to add it to a tenderloin sandwich.

Mike

Back