• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which pepper to grow in TX

Hello everyone!

So I decided to start growing peppers (the hotter the better). However in my research, it seems that ghost peppers maybe won't work so well in Dallas TX weather? So, then I found the Butch T scorpion seemed to work better in higher heats, is this correct? I just want to verify that and also maybe see what other pepper varieties would work well here?

I want something extremely hot (ghost or Trinidad variety) and then I was also thinking some habanero varieties.... I DO feel comfortable enough growing (in pots outside) or possibly indoors.

Also, I want them to be the right flavor...I do really like the flavor of habanero, how is the flavor of scorpion? I'm really not that picky, but don't think I would like it if it's somewhat sweet or bitter... Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can place an order at THSC very soon and begin!! :)

Ballgum, Welcome to the forum, but why must you only grow one pepper? At least 3. Even though the varieties might not be from Texas, Texas wants them anyway! Sorry Lyle. Bhut's will do fine at DFW. Thanks PepperJam!

Good Luck

Mike

You'd be a lucky feller to go buy plants from Alabama Jack. He can steer you toward some tasty hot pods and likely give you some great growing advice.

If you start from seeds now, you might miss some of the prime Texas growing weather, from what I gather. You could still do the seed starts, but it sure would be satisfying to see some plants up and running with a head start.

You're lucky to have those fellas (AJ and Capsidadburn) for 'neighbors', I'm thinkin.... :cool:

You'd be a lucky feller to go buy plants from Alabama Jack. He can steer you toward some tasty hot pods and likely give you some great growing advice.

If you start from seeds now, you might miss some of the prime Texas growing weather, from what I gather. You could still do the seed starts, but it sure would be satisfying to see some plants up and running with a head start.

You're lucky to have those fellas (AJ and Capsidadburn) for 'neighbors', I'm thinkin.... :cool:

hey thats a great idea!! but how much cost difference seeds vs buying plants? i found AJ's contact info....i guess i'll call him tomorrow to see what he thinks! :)

yea i was planning on doing multiples...just didn't want to try to grow peppers that wouldnt grow here

If you haven't grown any of the hotter chinense varieties here in north Texas, don't be impatient....you will lose (from what I understand everyone else does too so dont' fret) July and August production...as the hottest part of the summer approaches, the first thing you will notice that the flowers are still producing pollen but no pod set...that's because the pollen has become sterile (don't know the actual mechanism) because of the night time heat staying above 80F...then the flowers will totally stop producing pollen and all this time you will be getting flower drop...then the plants will almost stop flowering and they will stay this way until the September cool down comes...once the nights start to cool in september, you will start seeing flower production....then you will see pollen production, then you will see pod set...I don't get a major harvest until the last week of November or first week of December...

Losing July/August is a double edged sword...you lose all the fruit from that production time but the plants keep on growing and get pretty large...sometimes eclipsing 6' tall depending on the variety...but if you are patient and give the plants what they tell you they want, you will have some massive late season harvests...

the orange habanero is an exception to that rule...they produce massive quantities all summer long...

And, by the way....Welcome from Fort Worth....

If you haven't grown any of the hotter chinense varieties here in north Texas, don't be impatient....you will lose (from what I understand everyone else does too so dont' fret) July and August production...as the hottest part of the summer approaches, the first thing you will notice that the flowers are still producing pollen but no pod set...that's because the pollen has become sterile (don't know the actual mechanism) because of the night time heat staying above 80F...then the flowers will totally stop producing pollen and all this time you will be getting flower drop...then the plants will almost stop flowering and they will stay this way until the September cool down comes...once the nights start to cool in september, you will start seeing flower production....then you will see pollen production, then you will see pod set...I don't get a major harvest until the last week of November or first week of December...

Losing July/August is a double edged sword...you lose all the fruit from that production time but the plants keep on growing and get pretty large...sometimes eclipsing 6' tall depending on the variety...but if you are patient and give the plants what they tell you they want, you will have some massive late season harvests...

the orange habanero is an exception to that rule...they produce massive quantities all summer long...

And, by the way....Welcome from Fort Worth....

Hey thanks for the reply AJ... (I was the one that called you btw). I called because I wanted to see what you had for sale. Do you sale seeds/plants also, or just peppers?

I'm not new to growing really, and potentially could bring the plants in during months when they can't be outside (potentially getting a light setup).

When you say I'd lost July/August, I assume you're talking about if I were to start my sprouts now? What if I were to buy plants (to skip the germination/sprout stage)? Would I still miss flowering beofre the summer hot months?

Are all habanero variety stable in summer, or just the orange you mentioned?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm a newb on pepper growing!! :)

And thanks for the welcome! Maybe we'll meet sometime

Ballgum, Aj means any plant in the hot Texas summer will reduce to a crawl and stop producing until it cools down. It does not matter when the plant started. Although an earlier start probably toughens up the plant for the heatwave. The temps the plants can not tolerate are anything above the mid 90's. We sometimes have month long days over a 100 degrees.

Mike

Do you sale seeds/plants also, or just peppers?

yes...got a bunch of plants ready to sell and transplant now...

When you say I'd lost July/August, I assume you're talking about if I were to start my sprouts now? What if I were to buy plants (to skip the germination/sprout stage)? Would I still miss flowering beofre the summer hot months?

makes no difference, they are just like tomatos in the heat...if you start seeds now, they won't be ready to transplant to small containers for at least 8 more weeks, then another 4-6 weeks in the small containers before they are ready to plant out...so that puts you in the middle of July before plantout...way too late for them to produce this year...

Are all habanero variety stable in summer, or just the orange you mentioned?

don't know about "all habanero varieties"...but I do know that Trinidad Congos (large red habanero type) and Black Congo (chocolate hab type) stop producing...

Thanks for that! Last year the "split season" frustrated the heck outta me. I will definitely include some orange habanero in my grow list next year.

Congratulations on your garden, by the way. I've been following it since last year...a great inspiration to me!

Welcome to the boards, and good luck! AJ has nailed it. If you start growing a large number of varieties, you'll find (as AJ has mentioned with the orange habs) that *some* varieties will produce lightly through the hell months, but not many. Get 'em in the ground (or pots) now! :)

yes...got a bunch of plants ready to sell and transplant now...

makes no difference, they are just like tomatos in the heat...if you start seeds now, they won't be ready to transplant to small containers for at least 8 more weeks, then another 4-6 weeks in the small containers before they are ready to plant out...so that puts you in the middle of July before plantout...way too late for them to produce this year...

don't know about "all habanero varieties"...but I do know that Trinidad Congos (large red habanero type) and Black Congo (chocolate hab type) stop producing...

AJ, do you have some time to talk today? i would like to talk to you for a minute and get some plants and /or seeds maybe this weekend from you if you have some time? is the phone number on the flier correct?

This turned out to be rather informative for me lol. Thanks AJ for the clear cut information. I myself was curious if the heat stopped overall growth along with production. Glad to hear the beasts dont go into a complete shutdown lol. I need to look into getting some orange habaneros for next season :)

yo, ball dude,

the peppers can be grown in the ground also

even if you are in texas they only know how to do one thing and
they do not need to be in a "pot"

maybe some of them smart pots like aj is testing

hey, it is only money

Back