• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which pepper to grow in TX

the peppers can be grown in the ground also

even if you are in texas they only know how to do one thing and
they do not need to be in a "pot"

Just depends on what part of Texas! I have the options of 1) pots, 2) raised bed, or 3) solid rock. :)

Well this has been a great read for me as I've had trouble with the heat here as most times it does not cool below 86 F in the last place we lived. Think we'll get luckyer as cools down at nights here for 6 months of the year.

sorry about the late reply everyone!!

i ended getting

1 butch t
1 scorp fat tail
1 bhut
1 savina hab
1 choc hab
1 douglah

i got them transplanted into 5g pots and promix soil.... but they haven't grown much at all with all the wind/rain we've had here lately!!!

9rt5xh.jpg

well just thought i'd update the thread!! the plants ARE FINALLY GROWING PEPPERS!! AJ, you were right in that I wouldn't see anything during Aug/Sep. I just started seeing peppers about middle - end of last month (damn this tx heat)...

I am however a little fearful that I cross pollinated my plants because I have 5 different varieties of peppers and they are all right next to each other. The other thing I noticed is on one of my Butch T Scorpion's, I have a pepper starting to show color.... BUT ITS BROWN!! haha Again I think this might be cross pollinated from my Choc. Hab? Or from my Douglah? :(

Is there anything I can do at this point? I'll try to upload pics later tonight

The peppers can't cross with each other while growing. Crosses are found when you plant the seeds from a pepper that is growing now. If the pollen from one flower mixes with the pollen in another flower and that flower produces a pod then the seeds will more than likely be a cross of each pepper plant. Hope I explained that good enough.

It's entirely possible that the "brown" on the Butch T turns to red. Or, is it possible you mixed up the plant labels?

Hello everyone!

So I decided to start growing peppers (the hotter the better). However in my research, it seems that ghost peppers maybe won't work so well in Dallas TX weather? So, then I found the Butch T scorpion seemed to work better in higher heats, is this correct? I just want to verify that and also maybe see what other pepper varieties would work well here?

I want something extremely hot (ghost or Trinidad variety) and then I was also thinking some habanero varieties.... I DO feel comfortable enough growing (in pots outside) or possibly indoors.

Also, I want them to be the right flavor...I do really like the flavor of habanero, how is the flavor of scorpion? I'm really not that picky, but don't think I would like it if it's somewhat sweet or bitter... Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can place an order at THSC very soon and begin!! :)

:welcome: I am in Dallas Also-

Martin

The peppers can't cross with each other while growing. Crosses are found when you plant the seeds from a pepper that is growing now. If the pollen from one flower mixes with the pollen in another flower and that flower produces a pod then the seeds will more than likely be a cross of each pepper plant. Hope I explained that good enough.

It's entirely possible that the "brown" on the Butch T turns to red. Or, is it possible you mixed up the plant labels?

Great explanation thank you!! So if that does occur where the seeds get crossed, will that affect the heat potency any? I'm assuming NOT since the heat is mostly or all in the pepper itself?

My Scorpion's got a bunch now!! Can't wait until they start getting some color! I'm wondering how much do birds go after the peppers after they start to color?

Great explanation thank you!! So if that does occur where the seeds get crossed, will that affect the heat potency any? I'm assuming NOT since the heat is mostly or all in the pepper itself?

My Scorpion's got a bunch now!! Can't wait until they start getting some color! I'm wondering how much do birds go after the peppers after they start to color?

Once peppers cross, just like any breed cross, you never *quite* know what you'll get until a new strain is stabilized.

Some birds love them some red peppers, IME. However, I can't quite figure out when they eat them and when they don't. Mostly, they leave mine alone. Just once or twice a year I've found them nibbling, mainly on smaller varieties.

Once peppers cross, just like any breed cross, you never *quite* know what you'll get until a new strain is stabilized.

Some birds love them some red peppers, IME. However, I can't quite figure out when they eat them and when they don't. Mostly, they leave mine alone. Just once or twice a year I've found them nibbling, mainly on smaller varieties.

Well I'm not concerned about the seeds because I'm not going to keep seeds... what I'm concerned about is the heat would change on the pepper itself because of the cross?

Thanks for the help again! :D

Well I'm not concerned about the seeds because I'm not going to keep seeds... what I'm concerned about is the heat would change on the pepper itself because of the cross?

Thanks for the help again! :D

bg,

As Patrick mentioned, the fruit you're currently growing on your plants is true to whatever you planted. This is to say that whatever the characteristics of the seeds you planted were, that's what you're going to get. So if the original plant/seed you have growing is supposed to be a, let's say, Trinidad Scorpion, then if you have good seed/plant sources, it will be. The physical characteristics (including taste and heat levels) of your peppers are tied to the plant itself, and cross-pollination has no bearing on *those* peppers. If you aren't saving seeds from your fruit, then you have nothing to worry about in the way of unknown cross-breeding.

However, if you received plants or seed that wasn't true (I believe you got at least some of your plants from AJ, so I have a great deal of faith that they are what they say they are), then you may have a cross of some kind, but you *can't* have cross-bred fruit from "first-generation" plants in your yard.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

bg,

As Patrick mentioned, the fruit you're currently growing on your plants is true to whatever you planted. This is to say that whatever the characteristics of the seeds you planted were, that's what you're going to get. So if the original plant/seed you have growing is supposed to be a, let's say, Trinidad Scorpion, then if you have good seed/plant sources, it will be. The physical characteristics (including taste and heat levels) of your peppers are tied to the plant itself, and cross-pollination has no bearing on *those* peppers. If you aren't saving seeds from your fruit, then you have nothing to worry about in the way of unknown cross-breeding.

However, if you received plants or seed that wasn't true (I believe you got at least some of your plants from AJ, so I have a great deal of faith that they are what they say they are), then you may have a cross of some kind, but you *can't* have cross-bred fruit from "first-generation" plants in your yard.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

Yes thank you! exactly what I wanted to hear haha...

I got 6 plants...all from AJ... Douglah, 2 x BT Scor, Choc Hab, Sav Hab, Bhut

So far... the red savina hab and 1 of the BT scorpions are growing the most peppers.

Yes thank you! exactly what I wanted to hear haha...

I got 6 plants...all from AJ... Douglah, 2 x BT Scor, Choc Hab, Sav Hab, Bhut

So far... the red savina hab and 1 of the BT scorpions are growing the most peppers.

Well some bad news... I woke up this morning to find that my Douglah plant was on the ground and 1 of my BT's got split / broken in the main stem. I guess we had alot of wind last night or this morning.

I went ahead and taped up the messed up stem and tied it back together...its basically my main plant stem is cracked in half at the bottom of the plant. Hopefully it will recover!

if i found that i would use black electrical tape to mend where it broke
:crazy:
if you ain't got any of that use duct tape

good growing
please show some more pictures

Back