• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which pepper to grow in TX

MY 1ST BUTCH T SCORPION RIPE??

Is this ready to pick? It still has a little green and yellow/orange...should I pick NOW or wait until it's almost all fireball red? I want them to be at peak heat potency or at least almost peak

img4021yu.jpg

img4022b.jpg

img4024e.jpg

img4025n.jpg

if you got the plant from me, it must have been crossed...the pods don't look like even a scorpion...and if you did get it from me, I will give your money back...

either way, from what I have read, the peak heat of the pods is when they first start turning their ripe color...after that, some of the capsaicin is used in production of sugar which makes the pods a little sweeter...I wish I could find that article again...was written by a female PhD out west somewhere I think..

We all must have the same boat... the best pepper to grow in C Fl. is ones grown under a shade cloth. I still had good set on some that weren't beat down by the sun. the heat didn't help, but the sun was way too much this year. I never had these problems before. So next year I will have some cloth over the beds exposed through out the day. I also had to cut down a big Oak which recently died, and it provided a break from the 1-5 PM beatdown.

if you got the plant from me, it must have been crossed...the pods don't look like even a scorpion...and if you did get it from me, I will give your money back...

either way, from what I have read, the peak heat of the pods is when they first start turning their ripe color...after that, some of the capsaicin is used in production of sugar which makes the pods a little sweeter...I wish I could find that article again...was written by a female PhD out west somewhere I think..

Hmm, yea I did get them from you. It's weird because the other peppers on the plant look like scorpions. For some reason this pepper looks different than the others on the plant. I guess I could take a pic of the whole plant and the different peppers on it.

So, since most of the pepper has turned it's already peaked it sounds like?

thanks

I believe in any super hot ya gotta let it ripen as long as possible to let it mellow. I'm sure your excited, but you would never taste a difference in heat... but the others flavors will be much better to compliment the heat... my .02

Oh...ok...that's cool...it may be a pod with very few seeds....or maybe none...wonder what the cap glands look like...

hey, when you pick it, slice it in two and take a pic please...

and mellow is a good thing SS... :)

Oh...ok...that's cool...it may be a pod with very few seeds....or maybe none...wonder what the cap glands look like...

hey, when you pick it, slice it in two and take a pic please...

and mellow is a good thing SS... :)

well...i took a small cut out of and i got a STRONG habanero smell as soon as I cut it lol... It taste and smell like a hab :(

But like i said... all the other peppers on the same plant look like scorp. Any ideas? I will post up pics of the plant. I can also take a pic of the inside of that 1 pepper

it looks hot!!!!

and it is just a few seeds...it didn't get much pollen...

if the other pods on the plant look like scorpions, then this is one too, just no tail and a weird shape...

it looks hot!!!!

and it is just a few seeds...it didn't get much pollen...

if the other pods on the plant look like scorpions, then this is one too, just no tail and a weird shape...

Well... I tried some more this evening lol... and I took a little bite and it was really HOT!! WAY hotter than the orange habs I'm used to. But...I've never had a savina hab, so I'm not sure if it is a savina or a scorp.

Do scorpions smell / taste like a hab?? Because it smells/taste just like one

Do scorpions smell / taste like a hab?? Because it smells/taste just like one

very similar IMO...others may have a different opinion...and by the way...for what it's worth, I really think the Red Savina is just a Caribbean Red that was grown out under a certain set of circumstances..we all know how much the LC testing changes for different samples of the same variety...

Devastating news here. I had a nice healthy choc congo hab plant with two + pods beginning to shape up nicely... then my two pups knocked the plant over while playing. The pot was shattered and all but one main stem was broken off.

I re-pot the one stemmed plant into a slightly larger pot (all I had available) so I'm sure it's going to spend its energy growing roots for awhile and end any chance of a harvest soon.
It appears to be recovering nicely.

Question 1: should I feed high nitrogen for root growth or is it worth trying to get it to produce fruit (low nitrogen diet)?

With the broken stems, I put them in water for a day then turned three of them into cuttings for next years harvest. They have been pruned of most leaves and all pods (my two main pods were culled) and I put them in smaller pots. So far I am optimistic that two of the three cuttings may survive. After 3 days the remaining leaves on two of them look fairly healthy but on the third cutting it appears to be continually water deprived and withering. I read that some plants can completely lose all foliage before taking root so I will leave it for another week and see how it fairs.

Everywhere I read it states that all cuttings need to be kept moist but I know these plants are prone to root rot so....

Question 2: Should I be keeping the soil mix constantly moist or should I be letting it go slightly dry between moistening? I am tending to think I let it slightly dry to get the roots to search but I don't want to water deprive it at this early vulnerable stage. Will I be ok to keep it continually moist?

I moved all plants indoors last night due to the wind advisory and the lower night time temps.

Devastating news here. I had a nice healthy choc congo hab plant with two + pods beginning to shape up nicely... then my two pups knocked the plant over while playing. The pot was shattered and all but one main stem was broken off.

I re-pot the one stemmed plant into a slightly larger pot (all I had available) so I'm sure it's going to spend its energy growing roots for awhile and end any chance of a harvest soon.
It appears to be recovering nicely.

Question 1: should I feed high nitrogen for root growth or is it worth trying to get it to produce fruit (low nitrogen diet)?

With the broken stems, I put them in water for a day then turned three of them into cuttings for next years harvest. They have been pruned of most leaves and all pods (my two main pods were culled) and I put them in smaller pots. So far I am optimistic that two of the three cuttings may survive. After 3 days the remaining leaves on two of them look fairly healthy but on the third cutting it appears to be continually water deprived and withering. I read that some plants can completely lose all foliage before taking root so I will leave it for another week and see how it fairs.

Everywhere I read it states that all cuttings need to be kept moist but I know these plants are prone to root rot so....

Question 2: Should I be keeping the soil mix constantly moist or should I be letting it go slightly dry between moistening? I am tending to think I let it slightly dry to get the roots to search but I don't want to water deprive it at this early vulnerable stage. Will I be ok to keep it continually moist?

I moved all plants indoors last night due to the wind advisory and the lower night time temps.

I'm interested to hear advice about the cuttings as well, as I've had poor luck getting mine going without using cutting hormones that are less than clear about using on food products.

And I hear ya on the night temps. We're flirting with too cold here last night and tonight. Hopefully dodge one more bullet and get another few weeks, at least.

And I hear ya on the night temps. We're flirting with too cold here last night and tonight. Hopefully dodge one more bullet and get another few weeks, at least.

+1 over here in North Louisiana. The freeze could hit tomorrow, or it could wait until Thanksgiving, or even the middle of December, but the change is definitely in the air...

I have 100+ plants sagging and bent with the weight of green pods. So this is what it's like to be a farmer....

now they are saying tonight is the first freeze of the season...geez...that is a month early...record summer...almost record winter last year...wonder what our winter will be like this year...they are saying it will be dry but I don't remember what the weather people are saying about the overall winter...

looks like I will have bunches of green pods to deal with...but that's life...there's always next year...

I ended up putting everything inside the garage yesterday when the wind started to kick up into the 40s. Ended up just leaving them in there for tonight because of the low temps tonight :\ can't we just get a break this year? AJ, anyway to take the strongest of the different types and get them into the garage tonight?

-J

now they are saying tonight is the first freeze of the season...geez...that is a month early...record summer...almost record winter last year...wonder what our winter will be like this year...they are saying it will be dry but I don't remember what the weather people are saying about the overall winter...

looks like I will have bunches of green pods to deal with...but that's life...there's always next year...

G'luck, AJ and Torno.

Maybe it won't be as bad as they think. Looks like just north of freezing here, but low enough to scorch anything I leave out. I brought in all I could and stripped all the pods from the rest. We'll see if a banana does the job half decent.

Last I heard, it was dry till Spring. So if my house doesn't burn down by then (the last round was uncomfortably close), I'll plant more peppers. :)

This has to be the shortest Fall I can remember, after the shortest Spring. Seriously, WTF? Five weeks of Spring and now it's been 36 days since the last 100 degree day. If it freezes, are you kidding me? 36 days between triple digits and freezing?

This has to be the shortest Fall I can remember, after the shortest Spring. Seriously, WTF? Five weeks of Spring and now it's been 36 days since the last 100 degree day. If it freezes, are you kidding me? 36 days between triple digits and freezing?

Right. What a honking giant bag of frustration!

I'm thinking we are going to need a new strategy with these 36-day growing seasons. Either:

a) Someone develops extremely quick-maturing varieties, or
b) We build grow houses with climate-controlled conditions like that huge thing in the Caribbean, effectively extending the season to 365 days, or
c) Maybe a super-thick shredded wood mulch layer with some type of drip irrigation for turbo-evaporative-cooling?

Probably this subject deserves its own thread, because I don't think we can expect "normal" summers anymore...

Here in North Louisiana we dodged one more bullet when the arctic air passed through last night. Absolute lowest measurement I can find is 42ºF.

Back