• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Who here eats whole superhots?

I was actually surprised the last times I ate one by how much my tolerance has increased.

I think most of us can attribute that to hanging around this place :D

For years I was content growing jalapenos, habs and cayanne in the garden....my grow list this year has those at the bottom of the list and quite a few supers at the top of the list.

I don't really enjoy eating whole super hots and I don't think I've eaten more than a sliver or two by itself but I use them in cooking all the time. A diced up Bhut on just about any meal kicks it up a few notches and I really don't have to deal with stomach cramps since I eat them with food.

I hear ya mate. Cayenne used to be one of my favorite peppers. Down here we use it in everything. It's cheap, and wildly abundant. I still love the flavor, but I can't get my heat fix with it anymore. I found that Habaneros made for a good substitute, but that's not quite filling the void like it used to. For lunch I had a couple pieces of pizza smothered with a sample pack of Joyner's Golden Habanero. Good heat and flavor, but I had to use so much powder that it tasted overwhelmingly like habanero.

Superhots still burn the ever loving daylight out of me. I think I've got a ways to go until I will eat one whole.

I really need to work on trying to create a hot cayenne variety! Habaneros are a very strong flavor. If you can grow some 7 pots, you can make some powder out of them and mix a little in the cayenne powder (that will give a good kick and not destroy the flavor). Think my cayenne x Primo cross is infertile this year.

During the growing season I eat a couple a week. My tolerance is extremely high. I actively enjoy eating habs but the super hots are a different story. As the heat reaches peak I typically regret the decision and question why I made the decision to eat the pepper in the first place. As long as my stomach is reasonably full at the time I don't feel at all ill. When the pain subsides I have a nice endorphin rush going. After a few days I repeat.

Obviously some super hots are hotter than others. Also some are larger than others. If I eat a 7 Pot Brown, TSMB, etc. I'm unable to roll with the experience nearly as smoothly as say a smallish bhut and as such usually wait longer before popping another super.

As insane as watching one of those "How Too" videos on eating one...Sorry , don't ever have the extra time for that one...

I've eaten a few whole ones, this year I tried a Infinity, Yellow T.S., a red Brain Strain, and some others. I did deseed them as I wanted to keep the seeds. I think this cuts some of the heat, one of the main reasons I will or would eat one would see just how bad they are and if they could be used to burn a certain person that I can't stand being around. I have to put up with him twice a year for a week at times and if it wasn't for the peppers I would most likely choke the hell out of him at some point. It such a stress reliever watching him eat a super hot with me and then watching all the pain and discomfort he goes through just trying to show how much of a bad ass he is, I think its the only time he eats any hot peppers. He's the only person I do this to, of course I probably suffer more than he does, but have learned how to tolerate most of it now with some of them, least wise while he is looking at me, but the physical after effects like stomach pain, pounding heart and throat burn can really hurt at times and the fact that I'm not in the best of health has my doctor concerned, but I get a lot of pleasure watching him squirm and cry like a baby after eating one, its worth every bit of pain I might go through.
Most of the time I just use small amounts for cooking or turn them into hot sauces and powders, I enjoy them much better that way than raw.

I've eaten a few whole ones, this year I tried a Infinity, Yellow T.S., a red Brain Strain, and some others. I did deseed them as I wanted to keep the seeds. I think this cuts some of the heat, one of the main reasons I will or would eat one would see just how bad they are and if they could be used to burn a certain person that I can't stand being around. I have to put up with him twice a year for a week at times and if it wasn't for the peppers I would most likely choke the hell out of him at some point. It such a stress reliever watching him eat a super hot with me and then watching all the pain and discomfort he goes through just trying to show how much of a bad ass he is, I think its the only time he eats any hot peppers. He's the only person I do this to, of course I probably suffer more than he does, but have learned how to tolerate most of it now with some of them, least wise while he is looking at me, but the physical after effects like stomach pain, pounding heart and throat burn can really hurt at times and the fact that I'm not in the best of health has my doctor concerned, but I get a lot of pleasure watching him squirm and cry like a baby after eating one, its worth every bit of pain I might go through.
Most of the time I just use small amounts for cooking or turn them into hot sauces and powders, I enjoy them much better that way than raw.

You are scary. :shh: Remind me to be nice to you... You aren't one of those people that has a "list" are you?

tumblr_m9305koV1U1qb973jo1_500.jpg

I am more than satisfied with super hot powder, a little goes a long way in my book. I have put my fingers on my eyes after cleaning peppers for seed ( by accident of course ) and thats plenty if not more pain than I need.

I've eaten a few Butch Ts and Jay's Peach Ghost Scorps. For me the worst part was the cramps an hour or two later. IMO that was much worse than the actual burn. Only the first time I ate a Butch did I get anything like a "rush", but the moment when the pain ends...is exquisite. I liken it to the moment at around 2am when you've been throwing up all night thanks to the flu, and you suddenly don't feel like vomiting anymore. That moment when you feel better than you've ever felt before, simply because you aren't in pain.

Sampling a slice is more than enough for me to judge heat and have fun with some adrenaline rush.
I've also realized that growing a few superhot plants is more than enough to cover my cooking needs for a while, mixing with milder stuff...

Cya

Datil

I eat them with a meal, Only tried the Orange habanero once, Really hate the pain on the tong, but after its gone, its a good sensation, lol

I try at least some of everything in my garden. A small piece is enough to get the flavor profile with only some minor pain. Where the peppers really shine is the flavor they impart to my salsas and sauces.

The tales in this thread are great!

I've only eaten one. It was a tiny Dorset Naga that had ripened at the height of our summer last year. Here's the bullet point version:
  • Eat pepper laughing that it's too small to really hurt
  • Mention to my wife that it's really not that bad but it tastes great!
  • Come to the realization that something has gone terribly terribly wrong with my decision making process and I tell my wife that maybe she should think twice about being married to someone as dumb as me
  • Pace back and forth across the house at a frantic pace while clutching my stomach for 5 mins
  • Collapse into bed for 20mins, refusing to move or even consider putting anything else in my stomach for the rest of my life.
  • Start calculating the cost of a permanent IV by which I can be fed for the rest of my life .
  • Boom! Everything back to normal after 30mins of awful, awful, stupidity induced pain
The funny thing is...no ass burn! I think my exit hole has a better tolerance than my entrance.

Back