• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Who thinks food network is right?

They just said that 10,000,000 scoville unit sauce will strip paint. It was on the " meat and potato" show, and it wasn't just someone said it they had it in text as if it was factual.

With the Naga Viper, the media loved to use the 'strip paint' headline. Whether it was just for emphasis, or they actually believed it, I am not sure.
Capsaicin won't strip paint <<< Link
To sum up the article, Capsaicin does not have the chemical properties to strip paint. What we experience is our immune system's reaction to the chemical, and not any real burn. Therefore, Capsaicin can not strip paint.

With the Naga Viper, the media loved to use the 'strip paint' headline. Whether it was just for emphasis, or they actually believed it, I am not sure.
Capsaicin won't strip paint <<< Link
To sum up the article, Capsaicin does not have the chemical properties to strip paint. What we experience is our immune system's reaction to the chemical, and not any real burn. Therefore, Capsaicin can not strip paint.

I didn't think so capsaicin irritates the nerve ends which causes the burning sensation and explains why people build up a tolerance to the burn.
And those the make sauces would love it if capsaicin have a measurable acidic value, because it would save headaches adjusting the ph to a acidic safe range.

Ya know not wanting to be a smart ass here but water will strip paint in a high power pressure hose

Water under pressure is amazing - it was used at Chernobyl to "grind" concrete away.

Add some nice sauce, and the possibilities are endless ;)

On the serious side, as an ex-journalist, you need to catch the reader/viewer with something, and the "X will strip paint" angle is as good as any.

Back