• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Who's boring into my peppers?

3 Aji Fantasies have fallen off in the past 24 hours- still very green & small. Upon inspection, all have little holes at the top. Uncool. I had another pepper a couple of weeks ago that it happened to as well. It ripened & upon dissection, I didn't see anything inside & ate the pepper. I'm sure it's something easy to identify. Last year (different house & garden), I had problems with squash borers doing this to my squash & cucumbers but there were more holes & they did damage the vegetables quite a bit. Want to make sure I deal with this problem if I can before it gets out of hand.

Thanks.
20150531_141226_zpsyynxkp0y.jpg

I was going to wait until Wednesday to post this in my glog but here's what I found boring into my peppers. Found about 5 out of 50. Peppers had small holes just like yours until I cut them open and found this.

Yellowfin2na said:
I was going to wait until Wednesday to post this in my glog but here's what I found boring into my peppers. Found about 5 out of 50. Peppers had small holes just like yours until I cut them open and found this.

Booo!!!! Know what it is? I should've mentioned my holes don't seem to go all the way through & there's nothing inside. Strange that the pods dropped off. That plant is HEAVILY loaded with pods but the ones that fell are small ones.

Thanks. I wish you the best of luck.

Yellowfin2na said:

Possible tomato fruitworm. They bore into tomatoes and peppers and eat out the insides

Scorched said:
Possible tomato fruitworm. They bore into tomatoes and peppers and eat out the insides
very ironic , i found one in a premature brazilian ghost pepper that i noticed that wasn't getting any bigger . opened it up and walla ! same damn little caterpillar !    all this rain this year may bring lots of this sh!t !    :onfire:

This is what I got in my flower bed.
04Iokl2.jpg

I think it's what you got I eats similar holes in stufff I'm glad they are eating flower plants instead of my vegetables.
I highly recommend companion plants in your yard I have impatients gerainiomes snapdragons and other stuff I don't really treat them either and let the bugs attack those plants in the opposite corner of the yard and my vegetables on other side have been pretty much bug free except when the sprinklers started working one night I was out of town drenched some hab plants washed away neem oil and I lost two plants treat weekly with neem.
Those bugs are hard to get rid of mayb keep that plant as bait and hope it don't spread to other if it's real bad I wouldn't waste money on neem there is a chance it's just done

That's bud worm bro.
Safer brand caterpillar spray has BT and it will kill them only and is organic.
Those things decimate cannabis crops here.
I spray weekly during flowering.
They also eat the leaves on Geraniums.

Proud Marine Dad said:
That's bud worm bro.
Safer brand caterpillar spray has BT and it will kill them only and is organic.
Those things decimate cannabis crops here.
I spray weekly during flowering.
They also eat the leaves on Geraniums.

You spray weekly even into flowering? I ask because I plan to do my first outdoor grow this year and have the safer BT, but was only planning on hitting it right as it transitions into flower. I didn't think/know it could be used in flower. Is there a limit to how far in you will spray or do you spray weekly until harvest?

edit: sorry for the thread high-jack

mrgrowguy said:

You spray weekly even into flowering? I ask because I plan to do my first outdoor grow this year and have the safer BT, but was only planning on hitting it right as it transitions into flower. I didn't think/know it could be used in flower. Is there a limit to how far in you will spray or do you spray weekly until harvest?

edit: sorry for the thread high-jack
I believe the bottle says up until the day of harvest but I stop it a few days before. It is a bacterium not a poison so it doesn't do anything to the taste of the bud.

Back