food Who's cooking what for the holidays?

What ya'll got planned for cooking over Christmas and New Years? Who's doing the cooking?

For me and mrs. blues, we'll be having tamales I made for the occasion of Christmas eve. I might foo foo them up with some chipotle adobo sauce and melted goat cheese. For Christmas day, turkey and/or ham is just too much food for just the two of us, and mrs. blues wants dry aged beef tenderloin on the grill. I picked that up today along with some red king crab legs. Au gratin pots and steamed broccoli w/cheese sauce for the sides. Apple pie for dessert. For eve after Christmas I'm 'thankin'......shrimp springrolls. I'll be doing all of the cooking as usual. mrs. blues doesn't bring the heat on her yum yums but the sauce and chile's will be flyin' on mine.

What say ya'll?

I made a bunch of TB inspired smoked salmon for the holidays but its already gone:( Now I'll be travelling for the holidays and relying on fast food and family for my eats. Its outta my hands now but I'll still bring mt own heat

I'm doing an epic pot of my fantastic chili with all the toppings for Christmas Eve. I'll be starting it tomorrow cause it has to cook 6 hours and then sit one day before eating.

Christmas morning will be country ham, biscuits, eggs, gravy, juices, and coffee.

Christmas dinner will be fondue. Chicken, steak, shrimp, scallops to be fried in peanut oil with multiple homemade dipping sauces. Toasty bread for dipping in traditional swiss cheese fondue.....and cookies and fruit to be dipped in the dessert chocolate fondue.

I've had enough turkey for a while...;)

Oh yeah i will also be cooking A LOT of MEAT. Inside a warm and moist environment of course.

Other than that, mmmmmm GIVE ME MORE TEQUILA AND A GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD!

Novacastrian said:
I am cooking my liver. Well not really cooking rather pickling, either way should be fun!

Why did I know you were going to say that?

paulky_2000 said:
I'm doing an epic pot of my fantastic chili with all the toppings for Christmas Eve. I'll be starting it tomorrow cause it has to cook 6 hours and then sit one day before eating.

Christmas morning will be country ham, biscuits, eggs, gravy, juices, and coffee.

Christmas dinner will be fondue. Chicken, steak, shrimp, scallops to be fried in peanut oil with multiple homemade dipping sauces. Toasty bread for dipping in traditional swiss cheese fondue.....and cookies and fruit to be dipped in the dessert chocolate fondue.

I've had enough turkey for a while...;)

mrs. blues and I love fondue! Dude...you gotta' post pics of that! I smell a WIN already! I'm guessing 'Retta is involved.......:lol:

You dirty rotten good cookin bastard! I hate you you scummy bastard. orr yeah meerry xmas you top dog!

Novacastrian said:
You dirty rotten good cookin bastard! I hate you you scummy bastard. orr yeah meerry xmas you top dog!

Apparently a fellow gypsy liar...I'd cook for you anytime......All the best to you sir you damned Aussie sewed up ... God bless you and that boy of yours! Happy Holidays!!

I am doing the cooking, all done on the smoker. Prime Rib beef, bake sweet pot. Aspargus(yes on the smoker),Indian fry bread, famous bread pudding and butter rum sauce. Just for two. (still have some turkey in freezer. from turkey day)
Dan

Nice to hear someone else is making fry bread! Grandkids always want it. Due to our expected storm all the out of towners have been told to stay home until weather is not blizzard so party has decreased to those living in same town. I'm still going to cook the ham and turkey and freeze the leftovers for later. Thinking lots of jalapenos, enchiladas, anything with some heat to offset all the cold outside. Plus fudge, cookies, etc.

texas blues said:
mrs. blues and I love fondue! Dude...you gotta' post pics of that! I smell a WIN already! I'm guessing 'Retta is involved.......:lol:

Oh my......fondue at our house is always a huge event! I will break out the camera for sure! Retta will be here for chili....but I believe she'll be having Christmas dinner with her daughter, Jeni. I was invited, but I, too, have other plans. We're "cooking" fondue for my grandmother and the at her house. She's very excited.

Novacastrian said:
WHats thisd about retta ! i demand blurred pics!!

whaddy'a wanna see?:lol:

NavyBall2006-1.jpg

That's my Retta!!

cimg0046x.jpg
I am cooking beef, Gammon and turkey, With the turkey in baking tray
1/4 bottle marsala
1/4 bottle white wine
chick stock 1/4 pint
onions white 1
carrots 2 rough choped
celery
bay leaf
1 turkey stuffed with sausage meat special stuffing covered in sweetcure bacon
on trestle and in dish on stove 10 mins to boil cover in foil really well in oven 200 deg for two hours. take foil off turn oven up and glaze put back in for 20 mins done
roast pots, swede carrot mash,peas,parsnips,and cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon, reduce gravy mmmmmmmmm
And for afters american choc cheese cake, sticky toffee pudding and cheese and biccys, followed by copious amounts of alcohol.. that sound ok tb??

OOOOOOOOOKAY....

You asked....so here it comes!

This is Christmas Eve's dinner........CHILI!!! Simple, yet so complex!

The ingredients: 2lb. 80/20, 1lb. mild, 1lb. hot sausage, 4 pks chili seasoning, 2 cans each of diced and crushed tomato, garlic, few cans of beer, several onions, S&P, Sazon Goya....(hot sauce and habs come later!)

100_0768.jpg

Brown and finely chop all the meat..

100_0770.jpg

till it looks like this:

100_0771.jpg

Sweat the onions and garlic. Add the seasoning packs and a beer. Steam for another 2 minutes. Add the remainder of the ingredients (tomatoes, goya, MORE beer!). This is what it looks like:

100_0772.jpg

to be continued....

One more teaser...

100_0773.jpg

This has to simmer for 6 hours...sit in the fridge for 12-18 hours...and then re-heated to be it's best. ;) So, it should be ZEN by Christmas Eve!

Add some Daves, diced onion, some shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream....
Hungry.gif

Beautiful.gif

Back