• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Who's got Jalapenos, and are they corking?

When do you usually pick your jalapenos

• Total voters
How's everyone's jalapenos doing? Jalapenos are quite hard to get right now with the salmonella scare so I'm really glad I'm growing lots this year. So far I haven't got any huge pods but I was pickin' off flowers and pods until the end of June. I do however have some starting to get corking on them.

Here's a pod with some nice corking. I'll have to check what type it is later.

Here's some more pods

I've had Jalapenos with corking like that but they went in my belly. I'm growing Jalapeno Grande, Jalapeno, and Jalapeno Jumbo. Only the Jalapeno Grande are fruiting at the moment.

23072008274.jpg

23072008273.jpg

Really a nice bunch of jalapeno, Potawie! I have only 1 plant of Jalapeno that is quite full of pods for the second time, but no corking at all :(
Im quite sure that my kind of jalapeno (jalapeno piccante from Stuard in Italy http://www.stuard.it/) haven't this nice characteristic but also have a noticeable heat, at least more then most jalapeno have :)

The chileman explains it well

It is a process where the pepper skin contains lots of little cracks. If you weren't expecting it you may mistake it for a damaged pepper and throw it out, but it is actually just an indication that the pepper is ripe to eat. In Mexico, peppers with corking are more valued than those without. thechileman also likes corking.
http://thechileman.org/jalapeno_rules.php

I need to leave jalapenos the plants longer like RB and let them get red but this time of year I have to pick the at the first sign of corking because of the summer heat. Half corking half smooth jalapenos from my last harvest.
IMG_0567.jpg

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Starting to get a lot more corking with my latest batch of jalapenos.:lol:

Hahaha...
roflmao!.gif

I'd thought of Photoshopping some corks into some jalas, but that's just great.

Some of those look a little over-corked.;)

I love how rainbowberry laments that "OH, only one plant is fruiting at the moment" and then she flashes a picture of a plant about to disintegrate under the weight of the pods on it...

My little jalapenos are coming along, but they are all black. The purple jalapenos have provided several pods so far.

I have picked a few here and there that have corked, but as for my whole harvest they are not quit there yet. They should be by next weekend or before, I'm reaching that 70 day mark since planting.

Back