• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why do you grow chilli peppers?

First post ~

erm i grow them cause the fruits of the labor are intense (Bhut Jolokia) >__<

Edit: ninja'ed by siling_labuyo

I grow them to new flavours fresh that are otherwise unavailable. I've only seen Capsicum Annuum varieties in the shops thus far.

I also make my own hot sauces. The nasty after taste in some of the store bought sauces put me off paying for pricey sauces. Now I have enough hot sauce to last a long time.

I decided to grow my own peppers because I could never find "hot peppers" at the local grocer and I also wanted a larger selection than was available. I then stumbled accross this website and it opened a whole new world of similarly minded people with a love of peppers and varieties I had never even heard of. What a great experience! :woohoo:

For me it started at GardenWeb in 2009, only grew jalapeno's before that. Someone sent me
some Bhut Jolokia seeds. Of course I was bragging that I had the hottest pepper in the world.
After that I keep reading post of all the different hot peppers and became intrigued, even though
my tolerance is not that high, I love the looks of all the various hot peppers. I can eat them in
powder form. I then discovered The Hot Pepper Forum in 2010, lots of good reading, and a lot
of generous members sharing seeds. My inventory has grown a lot. I can't seem to stop growing
them. I'm addicted.

hmmm good replies

I was kind of hoping someone would say "yeah I suck at growing chillies too. It's really hard!" :rolleyes:
I suck at growing chillies, so it's a challenge.

There you go. I'm serious too, got heaps of tomato and herb plants doing well, all my chilli plants are pretty sick and have problems though.

Yes, the challenge of getting them to grow is definitely an attraction for me too. However, the challenge of dealing with pests is NOT.

Oh how I long for my biggest challenge to be just getting my plants to grow and be healthy so gardening could be fun again! :lol:

Cuz when i dedicated a nice space for toms for the wifey, she never picked them... year after year, since i only like tomatoes in pico or spaghetti, I figured i could expand. I don't know why I always have... all started with an innocent Fatali, moons ago...

Because I've always considered myself a chili-head, the growing of peppers isn't reliant on the market ;) , & I saw some bloke in Australia's YouTube uploads ;)

I really dont know why I grow them, but I do. I dont eat alot of what I grow anymore, mostly gets seeded and dried into powders. I use the powders slowly throughout the year on jerky and what not. The seeds I sell/give away, depends on my mood. Some pods I give away cause I enjoy the pain of seeing others as they eat them (maybe thats sadistic???)

I love to cook and I love to use good ingredients. Here in Australia the supermarkets use whatever is the cheapest method to make and sell fruit and Veg. Example they spray Tomatoes with something to turn them red, so really all you can buy is Tomatoes that are under ripe. Theres only one shop I've had Tomatoes here that aren't tasteless. The options of what chillies you can buy here are way less then America (IMO, never been there). Over here the only Chillies you will ever find are Jalapenos, Asian birds eye, and some green and red chillies that are like a birds eye only longer and not as hot, and Ball chilli. (If anyone in Sydney knows of a place that sells different chillies by all means correct me :lol: )

Honestly if I could buy good produce I probably would not have bothered with growing plants. So I decided That I would start to growing Chillies for the first time this year. I'm starting to find I enjoy it. I have found that I may have a green thumb, and I plan to grow more than just chillies. I've got a number of Tomato plants that are doing very well, one already has fruit on it. I have a Capsicum that is doing well, and I plan to start some more plants this year.

In the end what I've realized just the last week is I need to produce enough stock so that I can make enough sauces, puree, etc, so that I can use all year round.

The options of what chillies you can buy here are way less then America (IMO, never been there). Over here the only Chillies you will ever find are Jalapenos, Asian birds eye, and some green and red chillies that are like a birds eye only longer and not as hot, and Ball chilli. (If anyone in Sydney knows of a place that sells different chillies by all means correct me :lol: )
You have found Ball chillies?? Up here in Brissy we are limited to "red", "green", Birds Eye and the rare green Jalapeno at Woolies.

Check out weekend markets and stuff--you can sometimes score at them. There's this bloke at my local markets that grows and sells Pimentos de Padron. I also get some nice Thai chillies from time to time, and I've seen orange and red Habs.... that sort of stuff. Haven't been in aaaages but was getting some really nice Jalapenos at one stage from the organic markets too.

Can't grow pot legally so might as well grow chillies. Only kidding I am bored at work so thought IDE write something

hmmmm just because you aren't paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't watching you Lance :shocked: :scared:

I actually saw some orange habaneros at coles once. Did a double take, couldn't believe it! They were very pale orange and getting old though. Haven't seen Jalapenos for a long time.

I grow chilles because I love them.

They are one of the more exciting, fruit-bearing plants IMHO. Aside from dirt, water, and @ 15-20 pots, they don't cost much or take up too much room depending on the variety.

They are one of the more exciting, fruit-bearing plants IMHO. Aside from dirt, water, and @ 15-20 pots, they don't cost much or take up too much room depending on the variety.
Try 300+ pots over here! :lol: (The math... 100+ plants... two incremental pot ups and final size pots.)

And depending on how you start your seeds, don't forget the cost of electricity! Heat pads, grow lights, etc. (And not forgetting the cost to buy such equipment either)

And then there's the cost of fertilizer, bug sprays, etc.

Personally, I myself don't consider growing chillies a cheap hobby... ;) :lol:

Personally, I myself don't consider growing chillies a cheap hobby... ;) :lol:
You like a lot of us are addicted and it is a big hobby, but as a small hobby it can be inexpensive. I remember those days and as the gardens get settled and the pots get reused I am getting back to it. Electric is the only cost that won't ever slowly go down after a lot of use and recycling.

Back