• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Why Does Dry Spice Lose It's Heat When Mixed With Franks Red Hot?

Greetings,

So I bought some very hot chili powder with the hope that it would make Franks Red Hot - much hotter, but it seems that mixing the chili powder with Franks, kills the heat of the dry spice.

To clarify - the chili powder is indeed hot when I just put a little on a spoon and eat it, but it's not really making Franks any hotter.
Yes this is for Buffalo Wings - does the butter also impact the heat of the dry spice?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can use honey instead of butter - butter kinda gives the sauce a flavor but more over it is the viscosity to help it stick. The honey would also sweeten anything too tangy as well especially from store bought vinegar sauces

Send me an SASE and I'll send you some powder... has some Bhut in it, but also other hot peppers. its good.

If you want to send a SASBE I'll toss in an oz of scotch bonnet powder.

Just do me a favor and pay it forward one day. This community has been a huge help to me, and I am happy to help others.

So I bought the ghost pepper powder, which was incredibly hot when I just tasted it dry - so I was very happy with the heat level, but I am having the same problem - the ghost pepper heat is killed by the Franks and butter. You wouldn't know that there was anything added. What the hell is happening?

Freewheeler said:
So I bought the ghost pepper powder, which was incredibly hot when I just tasted it dry - so I was very happy with the heat level, but I am having the same problem - the ghost pepper heat is killed by the Franks and butter. You wouldn't know that there was anything added. What the hell is happening?
How much did you add? 

Freewheeler said:

Well considering my mouth was burning and I coughed a bit with just a few grains of the powder when I tried it dry - I added a teaspoon of powder to the Franks and butter.
How much Frank's and butter? I like to add the powder to the butter warm it then add Frank's. I use a tablespoon of powder. When I do 3 sauces I do one with our Thai Blend, One with Scotch Bonnet and another with Ghost...all 3 have their own taste and elevated heat. 

Freewheeler said:

Well considering my mouth was burning and I coughed a bit with just a few grains of the powder when I tried it dry - I added a teaspoon of powder to the Franks and butter.

One teaspoon likely won't compensate for all that tang from the Franks.  Go teaspoon at a time till you start to feel it.  JHP tip on adding the powder to the warm butter and then adding the Franks is also a good one.  

The Hot Pepper said:
I don't see why you didn't just add more before asking here again... just add more problem solved.

Well considering that my mouth was on fire with a few grains of ghost pepper powder, it made sense that a teaspoon will be quite sufficient. Even the bottle warns to just use a very small amount because a little goes a long way. Based on the recommendations here, it sounded like a small dash of the ghost pepper powder would light the Franks/butter on fire with great heat.

I understand that adding more will bring more heat - but isn't that the point of these types of products - to add incredible heat with very little needed. I have to add a whole bottle of ghost pepper powder now to get the result I want? It's no different than the generic chili powder found at your local grocer.

Freewheeler said:

Well considering that my mouth was on fire with a few grains of ghost pepper powder, it made sense that a teaspoon will be quite sufficient. Even the bottle warns to just use a very small amount because a little goes a long way. Based on the recommendations here, it sounded like a small dash of the ghost pepper powder would light the Franks/butter on fire with great heat.

I understand that adding more will bring more heat - but isn't that the point of these types of products - to add incredible heat with very little needed. I have to add a whole bottle of ghost pepper powder now to get the result I want? It's no different than the generic chili powder found at your local grocer.
its about dilution, think of it this way, the grains are all spread out throughout the sauce, the best way to add heat is by doing what people here have suggested, after the wing is sauced dash a little of the ghost powder on them. It won't change the flavor profile and will add more heat. Chili powder from the grocery store isnt even meant for heat, its purely flavor, unless youre getting it confused with red pepper powder.

ablizno said:
its about dilution, think of it this way, the grains are all spread out throughout the sauce, the best way to add heat is by doing what people here have suggested, after the wing is sauced dash a little of the ghost powder on them. It won't change the flavor profile and will add more heat. Chili powder from the grocery store isnt even meant for heat, its purely flavor, unless youre getting it confused with red pepper powder.

I will try that next time as opposed to mixing the powder in with the Franks/butter first. 

Thanks

Back