• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Why I Fell in Love with THP....

I have been here for a long time and I have seen so many things. I do not think this site is going downhill in any way. People come and go both good people and trolls. It is just like life. There is an overwhelming amount of generosity and giving that goes on here. Many of you may not see it because a lot of the people who give do not want recognition. Or maybe a lot of the people who get don't appreciate it enough to take the time to thanks them. Every time I see a thread about someone's pet dying, someone being hurt, someone's family member in the hospital, or even your Farewell Thread Matt, it shows how much people care. I mean how many posts are there wishing you a safe deployment? I would also like to wish you well there and thank you for your service. My point is, there are FAR more good people here than not. Far more good going on here than not. The problem is that that doesn't get noticed as much as soon fool spamming gimme this or buy that from me threads. The simple arguments have gone on as long as there has been a forum and you really can't stop it. Its human nature. THP and its administrators have given us the tools to take control of OUR forum and police it ourselves with the use of pms the ignore button, and the report button. Next time you (any of you) feel the need to engage in a verbal battle that no one else really wants to hear, just hit the report or ignore button instead. Peace, Peppers, and Love.

It happens in the growing section and seed vendor section. In the cooking areas it's just fun banter. I have an idea. Relieve some of that growing stress, pop by the cooking section and show us your cooking skills with your pepper harvest. ;)

Growing = stress
Cooking = stress relief

World Peace!

It happens in the growing section and seed vendor section. In the cooking areas it's just fun banter. I have an idea. Relieve some of that growing stress, pop by the cooking section and show us your cooking skills with your pepper harvest. ;)

Growing = stress
Cooking = stress relief

World Peace!

You forgot to mention that all the posters in the cooking forums are also a bunch of :drunk:

Good topic. A few weeks back I posted something in the vendors area - I guess a vendor feedback version of Scovie's ettiquite topic - and naturally some folks tried to douche that up too. But, as SL so perfectly put it, I just called them out & told them the topic wasn't about THEM.

It seems like that's one of the biggest issues - its not so much trolling as it is attention whoring - LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!!! SEND ME FREE PEPPERS SEND ME FREE HOT SAUCE LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!

Some of the requests I've received asking for sauce to review on (someone's) YouTube channel (where they have 2 followers) are amazing - I posted one here because is was so staggeringly rude. I've actually been threatened by people that if I don't send them free sauce they'll post a video slamming my product.

But as THP & JayT said - those are the extreme minority. I've also received very polite requests and have sent "free" sauce out to numerous folks here. There are a lot more polite and civilized members than there are tools - unfortunately the tools are generally louder & more memorable.

Like any community you can't wait for the police to take out the trash every time - be proactive and use the report & ignore features. Help the mods help us.

I love that THP is growing - more diversity, more fun, funny & interesting people - but like any microcosm of society there will be a % of people who just don't get it and won't hear anyone's advice. So hell with those people. Report/Ignore.
:woohoo:

MGOLD86 - Best wishes for a safe & speedy tour, & get me your APO as soon as you've got it, brother.

Scott
LDHS

Growing = stress
Cooking = stress relief

World Peace!

I often wonder this... What the heck do all these growers EAT?

Don't we grow FOOD?

Back to minding my own business....

Nice post Matt.

This is the best pepper growing/eating/cooking/drunken nonsense site on the web. Period. Every person who ever asks me about my pepper growing passion I give them the link here. It isn't the site though it's the people on it. I too have noticed a lot of new folks and most of them are here for genuine reasons. The population has grown and I think the boss and crew are doing their best. We need to keep them informed of the idiots and the beggars. That's part of keeping this place number one.

If you see someone stepping out of line find a positive way to let them know. We all know how hard it can be to communicate on the web. You can't read a persons face and there is no inflection in the written word. Make sure your intent is obvious. As silly as it sounds sometimes the emoticons are the only way to let someone know you're joking or being sarcastic or having a little fun at their expense. Use them, that's why they were created. THP has more than most forums too.

I haven't been around as much as usual this year and haven't met all of the new folks yet. I will. If anyone has any questions or concerns or needs a little advice give me a shout. And don't worry about the youtube glory hounds. Once they realize they can't get their free "look at me ain't I crazy" ammo they'll leave.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. Enjoy the show.

I've been lurking here for a month or two, but this thread has made me actually create an account. If what you describe is what this community aspires to, I have no doubt that it has been and will be an amazing community, and is one that I would want to become involved with and become a part of too.
I have a few pepper plants that I've grown indoors, and am addicted to spice, but I've got a lot to learn yet. I haven't made any sauces, ferments, pickles, nor even grown outdoors yet (well, not successfully). Next season I'm planning on trying in earnest to actually grow some large plants and get a big harvest by growing outdoors so I can do the rest of it (sauces etc), but I'm sure I'll need help. It's nice to know how helpful this community was for you, it gives me a lot more hope for my own success. :)

I've been lurking here for a month or two, but this thread has made me actually create an account. If what you describe is what this community aspires to, I have no doubt that it has been and will be an amazing community, and is one that I would want to become involved with and become a part of too.
I have a few pepper plants that I've grown indoors, and am addicted to spice, but I've got a lot to learn yet. I haven't made any sauces, ferments, pickles, nor even grown outdoors yet (well, not successfully). Next season I'm planning on trying in earnest to actually grow some large plants and get a big harvest by growing outdoors so I can do the rest of it (sauces etc), but I'm sure I'll need help. It's nice to know how helpful this community was for you, it gives me a lot more hope for my own success. :)

:welcome:

Great topic Matt! TBH I really only joined cuz the hubby told me too. As of right now I have been a member for a year and I am on here all the time as a matter of fact I have more posts then the hubby whose been here almost two years :) granted most of my posts are in the fun zone but you know what? It can be a good release for a Stay at Home Mom. I have entered a few TD's. I am sure you remember a battle between us that was rather entertaining. I have never been into spicy stuff as people read all the time I love sweets. To my surprise I actually like a few peppers, sauces and powders. A discovery I made this weekend is I like things that start with Aji. However I still will not eat Aji tuna. I do agree some people and things get out of hand but usually I try to laugh it off or report/ignore if its bad enough. Anywho I am now addicted to THP. There's no intervention or therapy for this addiction either. :beer:

Can't wait for you to return. You'll have to enter a TD after you are back so we can have another battle :lol:

I LOVE THP!!!!!
The Betterhalf

This is a great topic! I'm new to this site, and I really like what I have seen so far. The people here are great and generous, and the love for peppers is infectious! Even though I have never grown any spicy peppers before, I am very knowledgeable in the science of plants themselves. I might have missed this, but is there a hydroponic specific subsection on this website?

Either way, I'm trying to contribute what I can to the community and I'm really excited for the future of this forum!

I just found this thread. This site is like everyday life, no matter how much you try to surround yourself with positive, like-minded people there are bound to be negatives coming in contact at some point. Just like I have found through my life.....I have many friends, but some I would not want in the same room together because, well life is life and views are views.

Once again, Matt, thanks for your service to the country.

I just found this thread. This site is like everyday life, no matter how much you try to surround yourself with positive, like-minded people there are bound to be negatives coming in contact at some point. Just like I have found through my life.....I have many friends, but some I would not want in the same room together because, well life is life and views are views.

Once again, Matt, thanks for your service to the country.

and unlike in real life, the "ignore" button works great. :) Luckily, in real life, theres only a few people I choose to not associate with and very rarely have to encounter. There are a few IRL people I don't care for but must deal with occasionally, but I keep it to a minimum and move on to more enjoyable tasks like......posting on THP!

Back