• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Wild Game or Fish

If this exists the super search feature failed to direct me...

I would love everyone to post plates of food from something they caught or killed hunting.

First up....ugly plate but a southern classic, fried venison and onions...I like to put pepper powder in the breading.

Some fish taken on a Spearfishing trip to Eden, NSW last year.

Left row,  top down - Red Morwong, Grey Morwong,  Extremely large Grey Morwong, Trumpeter. Right row, top down - Luderick, Banded Morwong, Red Morwong, Pike, Trumpeter.
20140323_160133_1.jpg

Top, Left to right - Moray eel, Silver Drummer, Silver Drummer, Black Drummer. Bottom, Left to right - Grey Morwong, Trumpeter, Black Drummer, Red Mullet (Goat fish).
20140322_151542_1.jpg

SR.

Thanks guys, they were two separate days catch.

The Moray eels are extremely aggressive and territorial. We had one attacking us one time as we were cleaning our fish on the rocks in very shallow water. At first we thought it was hungry, so we gave it some fish. Then it popped its head up and bit my friend. Then it popped up in front of me. I waited for its head to dissappear back into the rocks, grabbed its body, and threw it as far out to sea as I could.  :rofl:

They have plenty of teeth, and are a PITA to handle. 

SR.

Shorerider said:

The Moray eels are extremely aggressive and territorial. We had one attacking us one time as we were cleaning our fish on the rocks in very shallow water. At first we thought it was hungry, so we gave it some fish. Then it popped its head up and bit my friend. Then it popped up in front of me. I waited for its head to dissappear back into the rocks, grabbed its body, and threw it as far out to sea as I could.  :rofl:

SR.

I was gonna ask if you speared the Moray in self defense or for a meal. 

Shorerider said:

SR.
I have pictures some where of a few massive ones from my travels...

Here is a crappy picture but this one was about 4 foot, Indian ocean in Indo

1929280_1045007489816_5850242_n.jpg

1929280_1045007529817_7597944_n.jpg

Rairdog said:

I was gonna ask if you speared the Moray in self defense or for a meal. 
I wouldn't spear anything I wasn't going to eat unless my life depended on it. The Moray was actually taken for my Dad, who enjoys eating them. I have eaten them before and it tastes quite good.

I've seen them much bigger than the one in the photo, possibly 6-8 feet long. I only take the odd one, and no more than one per trip. They are prolific in the area I spear them in, and are definitely not rare. 

Both those catches were 6-7 hours on the water which just goes to show just how selective I am. I could have easily tripled my catch, legally, with much smaller fish but I refuse to do so.

Nice pics JHP, how deep were you?

SR.

Shorerider said:
I wouldn't spear anything I wasn't going to eat unless my life depended on it. The Moray was actually taken for my Dad, who enjoys eating them. I have eaten them before and it tastes quite good.

I've seen them much bigger than the one in the photo, possibly 6-8 feet long. I only take the odd one, and no more than one per trip. They are prolific in the area I spear them in, and are definitely not rare. 

Both those catches were 6-7 hours on the water which just goes to show just how selective I am. I could have easily tripled my catch, legally, with much smaller fish but I refuse to do so.

Nice pics JHP, how deep were you?

SR.
Only 10 - 15 feet, was snorkeling...seeing all the clams was the amazing part!

1929280_1045008369838_4891645_n.jpg

oh and star fish

1929280_1045007889826_4768945_n.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Only 10 - 15 feet, was snorkeling...seeing all the clams was the amazing part!

1929280_1045008369838_4891645_n.jpg

oh and star fish

1929280_1045007889826_4768945_n.jpg

Very nice mate, I have seen similar giant Clams while snorkeling/freediving on the Great Barrier Reef. Although yours are much more colorful. 

SR.

Shorerider said:

Left row,  top down - Red Morwong, Grey Morwong,  Extremely large Grey Morwong, Trumpeter. Right row, top down - Luderick, Banded Morwong, Red Morwong, Pike, Trumpeter.
20140323_160133_1.jpg

Top, Left to right - Moray eel, Silver Drummer, Silver Drummer, Black Drummer. Bottom, Left to right - Grey Morwong, Trumpeter, Black Drummer, Red Mullet (Goat fish).
20140322_151542_1.jpg

SR.

Shorerider said:

SR.
Wow, great catch mate.  I haven't had silver drummer for years.  Pics of resulting cook ups mandatory! 

Ashen said:
You killin me with the Siesta Key stuff Grant, best beach I have ever been to.  Seafood is crazy good down there too,  some of the best Tuna I have had was at Marina Jack  in sarasota. 

Here's where dinner would come from on the way home ...

Back in the day, the lady could just sell shrimp at the bridge parking lot ...

Now the city of health folks would shut her down inside of an hour ...

11156262_10206172572016412_5470313565070660434_n.jpg

Growing up on Siesta was privileged, for sure.

Back