• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Have @ least a couple dozen pods set on my rocopica plant. Really looking forward to trying these- going to need a bunch they sure are tiny
rocopica.jpg

Digging up this thread again, I had a 'Most prolific chacoense' (bought it off pepperlover a while back, doesn't seem to be there anymore?) tucked away in a nondescript spot. Honestly I forgot about it, holy hell did it get big. It was so slow last year I wasn't expecting anything. Normally I cut plants back when I bring them inside, but since it has so many unripe pods I'm just going to wait and see.

mhw4zt0.jpg

oYnmIlx.jpg

Also the flowers are itty bitty.

w28pbrZ.jpg

synclinorium said:
Digging up this thread again, I had a 'Most prolific chacoense' (bought it off pepperlover a while back, doesn't seem to be there anymore?) tucked away in a nondescript spot. Honestly I forgot about it, holy hell did it get big. It was so slow last year I wasn't expecting anything. Normally I cut plants back when I bring them inside, but since it has so many unripe pods I'm just going to wait and see.

mhw4zt0.jpg

oYnmIlx.jpg

Also the flowers are itty bitty.

w28pbrZ.jpg

Nice looking plant!

I grew that one 4 or 5 years ago. It is some sort of hybrid. True C.chacoense have yellow anthers.

This year was really hard on me, I lost three of the wilds that I got to pop they sprouted, but that was it they just sat there and finally few over and dried up despite every thing I did, I did how ever grow 3 C. eximiums 4 praetermissiums 1 C. chacoense and 2 wild tepins one of which came from the lower Arizona / Mexico border many years ago. Oh yes I was able to over winter and regrow my C. galapagoense, I'm over wintering it again and saving the seeds.
I did get a few seeds of C. tovari I'm hoping to get them to grow this next season I really would like to try grow C. Lanceolatum and some others, but I have to find more seeds of them as they were the ones that died on me.
One of the Praets that did the best was Judy's Blue Mystery that she was offering a while ago I like it much better taste wise than the other Praetermissum that I have and the flowers are much darker purple. The eximiums that I grew are like wilds little weeds with tiny blue flowers with yellow / green / tan markings in the center. the pods are very tiny also, but still bigger than the C. galapanoense. I'm over wintering them this year as they are still blooming and making pods.  My camera crapped out on me so I'm looking for a bigger and better camera, one that won't use up a ton of batteries and still take great photos.

I've taken an interest in wild peppers for several reasons. I put seeds of each one you mentioned in rockwool tonight, except for c. tovarii. I had Judy's Blue Mystery a few years ago and didn't realize what I had. Gave them to someone as an "extra" in a seed exchange. Germinated one seed of Judy's Wild Tepins a month ago and lost it trying to transfer it to a small container. I have a Chiltepin and Pequin with pods! Wilds are fascinating.  Received a c. rhomboideum from Smokemaster - hoping to bonsai a cutting. Read a little about Paul Bosland and the lanceolatum last night.  I am relatively new to peppers (5-6 yrs) and have a lot to learn about wilds as my interest moves toward the highly allocated and scarce varieties.

HuN3ecHm.jpg

Hi all this year I will be trying to grow C. tovarii again last year I had terrible luck growing this and C lanceolatum which is another one I will try growing again for a second time, I was sent 3 C. chacoense varieties so they're on my list.  I have been growing one off and on for a few years and really like them, I'm growing Judy's Blue also along with a couple of other praetermissums, I also will be growing more Galapagoense again as I'm low on seeds and last years grow got down to one plant that I have been over wintering, I had just to much rain in early spring so the young ones got drowned out.
I will also be growing C. eximium, I really like this one also hell I like them all as they are fun to grow and I enjoy giving out seeds to others that are interested in growing them, so here's to good luck this year I'll be getting a good cam also so I will be posting pictures as soon as they start growing.  

I've been looking for the more original shaped Rocopica which was thought to be a natural cross of cardenasii x rocoto or was it the other way around which I got from Joepepperhead at Rocoto.com which looks like he no longer gives out any seed.
Anyway The pods were much smaller compared to some and more round with a nice flavor which I think would make a great sauce if a person had enough plants like a few hundred of them.
Has a true C. cardenasii been found yet?? I know that there was some cardenasii that turned out to be eximiums I would love a few seeds of it, but I think it will take some one going down to Peru and finding a true cardenasii. Also I think there is one that Nigel talked about that was a new discovery, but I just can't remember what its name was.
Another one I would really like to grow is C. flexuosum maybe I can beg a few seeds of some HINT HINT.  Anyway I think it will be a fun season.

George

wildseed57 said:
I've been looking for the more original shaped Rocopica which was thought to be a natural cross of cardenasii x rocoto or was it the other way around which I got from Joepepperhead at Rocoto.com which looks like he no longer gives out any seed.
Anyway The pods were much smaller compared to some and more round with a nice flavor which I think would make a great sauce if a person had enough plants like a few hundred of them.
Has a true C. cardenasii been found yet?? I know that there was some cardenasii that turned out to be eximiums I would love a few seeds of it, but I think it will take some one going down to Peru and finding a true cardenasii. Also I think there is one that Nigel talked about that was a new discovery, but I just can't remember what its name was.
Another one I would really like to grow is C. flexuosum maybe I can beg a few seeds of some HINT HINT.  Anyway I think it will be a fun season.

George
I have a couple hundred rocopica seeds from the plant pictured above if you need any drop me a PM.

Back