• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wind and Pot Plants

I took some overwintered plants outside for a few rays yesterday, but there was inconsistent gusts of wind that managed to topple over a few of the plants. This is due to being grown inside a grow tent, they are now quite tall and top heavy, so any strong gust of wind is likely to tip them over.

Short of placing heavy rocks in the container on the top of the soil, anyone else got suggestions?

Water them heavily while they are outside and that will make the container much heavier and less likely to topple over. Also pack them together so they help each other.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Water them heavily while they are outside and that will make the container much heavier and less likely to topple over. Also pack them together so they help each other.

Put the plants out today, they were watered the day before, and had about 2 litres of water at the bottom where there is a small reservoir in each pot. Two plants still managed to fall over.

Any other suggestions?

This plants a real b*st*rd to keep upright when it's windy. The other pots have bricks on. But this one I've had to move down by the house where it's more sheltered. Unfortunately it's where the sick bay for plants is.

01082008303.jpg

RB, can you put some hooks into the wall/ground where you want to put it?

I would then either lash it just below the top of the pot to the wall, or run a couple of lines over the top of the pot to ground stakes, say 3 BIG tent pegs spaced equally around the pot??
__x__
_xOx_

ring sting said:
RB, can you put some hooks into the wall/ground where you want to put it?

I would then either lash it just below the top of the pot to the wall, or run a couple of lines over the top of the pot to ground stakes, say 3 BIG tent pegs spaced equally around the pot??
__x__
_xOx_

I started mixing a heavier soil this year to keep my plants from blowing over. Its amazing how much sandy topsoil weighs

RB, ty.

The suggestion wasn't so much to repot but to put the entire pot in a slightly larger, deeper empty pot that has some weight in the bottom.

RS

Skyjerk said:
Your subject line could be very easily interpreted as referring to marijuana :)
Haha, I thought the same thing and was like, WOW, someone must be in a real lax country and definitely not in the insane and stupid marijuana criminalization place were in :lol:

Skyjerk said:
Your subject line could be very easily interpreted as referring to marijuana :)

I thought the same thing :lol: & thought hey heres a question for IGG :lol:

but serious now, you could place the containers close to each other to help prevent them from tipping over or tie the main stem to something, place them up against a wall (but this kinda depends on where the wind is coming from & where this wall is etc.. if it'll work or not)

or make something where you can place those containers in where it'll be more stable, more or less like another container/cage.
it could be something as simple as 2x4's lengthwise at a certain height with some more 2x4's cut at 45 degress (that goes outwards like 1'-2' each side) nailed to the lenghtwise boards to stablize the makeshift cage.
& use this whenever ya want to place the plants outside, but I'd still think you'll need to stake the plant inside its own container.

RB - cool plant, what type is it ?

I just thought of another thing you could do. granted you'd still need to stake the plant inside its own container.
but if you have some extra containers of the same size that the plants are in, you could screw/bolt the spare containers to a pallet/OSB sheeting/2x6 boards nail together in a square or not your choice.
then just place the planted containers inside the spare empty containers that are screwed/bolted to something. the containers shouldnt tip over then.

Supporting the plant *and* the container is a good idea. Right now, if a strong gust of wind hits the plant, it tips the entire thing over and prevents the stem from snapping.

If you secure only the container, the stem may not absorb the stress and may indeed snap off.

What you need is something that is called a "Strain Relief" in many industries. A simple loop of soft material that will "catch" the plant if it's blown more than a couple of inches in either direction. If you place these strain reliefs every two feet or so, it'll prevent the container and the plant from tipping.

Cheese cloth works well for me. I sometimes push a 2" x 2" into the ground on each side to tie them off to.

Good luck to you!

ring sting said:
RB, ty.

The suggestion wasn't so much to repot but to put the entire pot in a slightly larger, deeper empty pot that has some weight in the bottom.

RS

Sorry RS, I see that now I've read it again. I tried this with another plant and it worked, I shoved a load of bricks in a china pot and put the plant pot in it (obviously with plant too). The chilli plant in the picture just looks so out of proportion in that pot, I think the pot's just over 12 inches wide and 12 inches deep.

I've had an idea. I was thinking of buying some small but heavy concrete tiles, and somehow attaching the base of the pot to the tile.

I just have to come up with a solution where the attachment is temporary, so I can still unattach the pot from the base and move around if necessary.

Any ideas at all?

Haha, ok, I admit I clicked on false advert...

1. nice

2. RB is shorter than me, bonus.

3. what was the question?

MiLK_MaN said:
I've had an idea. I was thinking of buying some small but heavy concrete tiles, and somehow attaching the base of the pot to the tile.

I just have to come up with a solution where the attachment is temporary, so I can still unattach the pot from the base and move around if necessary.

Any ideas at all?

If you want the pot to be permanently attached to the concrete tile, use 2 part epoxy...depending on the type pot you are using...

If you want the pot to be removable from the tile, take a piece of 1/4-5/16" plywood or some other sturdy material cut to the size of the tile you choose, drill a few holes in the plywood and bottom of the container, attach the container to the plywood with some countersunk fasteners with a washer/nut on the inside of the pot, then put some "brackets" on the plywood that will "cup" around the edges of the tile...if you wanted to get fancy, you could make an arched slot in the plywood the width of a chosen fastener, drill a hole the size of the fastener head, seat the fastener in the cement tile and then you could have a "twist lock system"

QuadShotz said:
Haha, ok, I admit I clicked on false advert...

1. nice

2. RB is shorter than me, bonus.

3. what was the question?

hehe Quad leave R.B alone that plant/Tree needs dealing with first..surprised you hadn't thought of string R.B..What plant/tree is it ? :)

Back