• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2014

Got some sheet pots in from Grower Supply a couple days ago. I got this type so I could pull out the individual containers and replace them if need be, and they fit perfectly in my 11" x 22" Permanest Trays. Anybody in NW Louisiana need a couple of these? If I keep growing the same size garden every season these sheets should last me around 12 years:

unboxing1.jpg

These are the only C. chinense I'm growing this year: The NagaBrain, now in its F3 generation, is the happy accident of Florida THP mentor and all-around good guy romy6; seeds for the F2 Chocolate NagaBrain are from the talented and skillful Florida grower Tmudder; Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the F3 generation, is the creation of the THP breeding wizard Spicegeist; Both 7 Pot Yellow and Naga Morich are from THSC seed; Dystopia is a project of North Texas grower joemomma; and Madame Jeanette comes courtesy of the incredibly generous Netherlands grower Meatfreak :

tray%201.jpg

The pubescens experience is life changing! As if picking varieties for your season isn't difficult enough. I ended up giving most of my space to the novelty superhots,and also to my yearly favorites,but pubescens have gained a solid foothold. I can see them filling up 70% of my future grows. The texture,flavor,heat,flowers,leaves,yadda yadda,etc...etc....etc.. Amazing plant and as you stated,not a shabby history to ponder either.

Pr0digal_son said:
The pubescens experience is life changing! As if picking varieties for your season isn't difficult enough. I ended up giving most of my space to the novelty superhots,and also to my yearly favorites,but pubescens have gained a solid foothold. I can see them filling up 70% of my future grows. The texture,flavor,heat,flowers,leaves,yadda yadda,etc...etc....etc.. Amazing plant and as you stated,not a shabby history to ponder either.
My first year growing them, and many others I have going this year. They certainly grab ones heart, just watching them grow. Probably THEE most beautiful plant I have ever grown that has a purpose. AND I haven't even tasted one yet! And yes the history is simply amazing. I can say this we're all keeping that legacy going AND passing it on as well.

A dedicated thread would be good since there are several people growing it Gary.

Thanks for the history.  I only remembered that it grew on the Andes moutain sides.  Dewitt mentions that it originated in Bolivia, while Jean Andrews say's it (Rocoto) was introduced after the conquest.  I believe the fair argument which Dewitt poses, is wheather the early pod evidence was either collected wild species, "tolerated weeds" ,or actual cultivated domestication.

The climate control room might need the cool foggy mountain side app button!

Have a great day Gary!

Mike

That's great to see the encouragement with folks growing the Manzanos and Rocotos. I have to admit they're not the easiest to maintain but if the plants are good producers it'll be  worth the wait. Some people end up shaving the pubes.......from the growlists...... :lol:
I usually add a new variety when possible. I prefer the Yellow and Orange varieties (Perrins) which are more known to the Mexican and Guatemalen regions. They taste great, right amount of heat for the whole family and they're perfect for stuffing sice most of them will sit flat on the grill or in the roasting pan.

Hey Gary by the way the NagaBrains F2 and the Bonda/7 's are up and running. Although it's been a slow go in the cooler "dungeon", my plant out is still over 10 weeks away. ...can't wait !

Pr0digal_son said:

Hallelujah, I have seen the light, and my life will never be the same! I'm down to my last Manzano, and I can't imagine ever living without them! Now that I've eaten enough of them to have a pretty good idea what the C. pubescens experience is all about, I think for me it's the texture and juiciness of the thick flesh, combined with the indescribable flavor and the nice kick…There's just nothing else like it. It's like biting into a real ripe, juicy peach, and the juice just squirts everywhere...

I doubt if there's time for me to bring Manzano to fruit all the way from seeds this year, but I will probably start some plants later on in the season, so they can hopefully produce next season. I do, however, have 4 real nice little plants of Cabe Gendot (C. pubescens from Indonesia)…They have given me several real nice red Rocoto-type pods so far. I've already got the spot picked out where I will build their bed: 4-5 hours of morning full sun, then filtered light the remainder of the day….

Devv said:
My first year growing them, and many others I have going this year. They certainly grab ones heart, just watching them grow. Probably THEE most beautiful plant I have ever grown that has a purpose. AND I haven't even tasted one yet! And yes the history is simply amazing. I can say this we're all keeping that legacy going AND passing it on as well.

I hear ya dude… :cool: This is going to be a good year for pubescens!

capsidadburn said:
A dedicated thread would be good since there are several people growing it Gary.

Thanks for the history.  I only remembered that it grew on the Andes moutain sides.  Dewitt mentions that it originated in Bolivia, while Jean Andrews say's it (Rocoto) was introduced after the conquest.  I believe the fair argument which Dewitt poses, is wheather the early pod evidence was either collected wild species, "tolerated weeds" ,or actual cultivated domestication.

The climate control room might need the cool foggy mountain side app button!

Have a great day Gary!

Mike

All that history is real compelling to me, Mike…I did read that part in DeWitt's book, about whether the pubescens archetype is extinct now or whether it has undergone so much cultivation that the connection to the current wilds is impossible to establish…Something to ponder, for sure. I'm not genetics guy, but it seems to me like there would be some kind of fingerprint remaining in the genome….

PIC 1 said:
That's great to see the encouragement with folks growing the Manzanos and Rocotos. I have to admit they're not the easiest to maintain but if the plants are good producers it'll be  worth the wait. Some people end up shaving the pubes.......from the growlists...... :lol:
I usually add a new variety when possible. I prefer the Yellow and Orange varieties (Perrins) which are more known to the Mexican and Guatemalen regions. They taste great, right amount of heat for the whole family and they're perfect for stuffing sice most of them will sit flat on the grill or in the roasting pan.

Hey Gary by the way the NagaBrains F2 and the Bonda/7 's are up and running. Although it's been a slow go in the cooler "dungeon", my plant out is still over 10 weeks away. ...can't wait !

I've only had Cabe Gendot and the Manzano, but if those were the only pubescens in the world, I would be real happy.

That's so cool, Greg! It looks like the F3 NagaBrain grow is going to be something to see, especially considering the heavy hitters who are on board!

maximumcapsicum said:
Man. Now I want to grow monzanos. This place is dangerous.

Lol, Adam….That is SO true!

I know I'm at least 2-4 months behind most everyone here. I sowed my first 2 germ trays (C. chinense) on January 4, and they all sprouted on time, but never really grew beyond the cotyledon stage—maybe it was too cold in my grow room due to the unusually cold winter, maybe the soil mix was weak—Probably it was some of both. At any rate, last weekend my babies seem to have finally hit their stride. I will pot-up everything over the next couple of days. My original plant-out date ("dirt day") was set for April 1—It looks like that's not going to happen, but at least everything will be in the ground before the end of April:

lightstand1.jpg

Babies are looking good G .

As for the pubes. They seem very susceptible to temp changes and bugs. Gonna be tough for us to grow em in the south . I have a manzano and rocoto growing that i have had to top twice due to leaf curl. Might just set them in the shade and see what happens  :pray:

Nice looking plants Gary. My second year growing manzanos, 1st year I stared to late and lost them to frost. This year I have 2 and hoping to ow one. Does the taste of the Cabe Gendot have a similar taste.

romy6 said:
 Babies are looking good G .

As for the pubes. They seem very susceptible to temp changes and bugs. Gonna be tough for us to grow em in the south . I have a manzano and rocoto growing that i have had to top twice due to leaf curl. Might just set them in the shade and see what happens  :pray:

Thanks Jamie! And thanks for sharing your experience with growing Manzano…I'm going to put my 4 Cabe Gendot plants in the ground, but in a spot where they only get morning sun…Finger crossed…Good luck with your pubes! It's worth a try, the way I see it.

Scarecrw said:
Nice looking plants Gary. My second year growing manzanos, 1st year I stared to late and lost them to frost. This year I have 2 and hoping to ow one. Does the taste of the Cabe Gendot have a similar taste.

Thanks Jeff! Good luck with Manzano…I'll be watching your grow. Yes, Cabe Gendot is very similar to Manzano, especially with the juiciness…I think they're probably the same as Rocoto, except they're "native" to Indonesia.

Back