• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken Grow 2012

Looks like I'm getting a late start again this year...Should be setting seeds to sprout in the next few days....Anyway, here's the order I made from Beth this morning. It's not really my complete grow list, because I'm planting lots of saved seeds (from my 2011 Grow and from trades with my THP friends) for the first time this year. Also, I don't know that I will plant everything from this order, but I am excited about some of the new varieties:

Peppermania%205Jan2012.jpg

Absent from the above list but going in the ground this year:
Trinidad Scorpion
Congo Trinidad
True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Thai Chile (Garden Bird Seed variety)
Nambe Pueblo
Birgit's Locoto

Several bird types from THP friends, including, but not limited to (because I can't remember them all right now):
Texas Chiltepin
Prik Ki Nue
Siling Labuyo
Cumari do Para

Edited 1/9/2012 to add the following:

Last minute order from Hippy, plus some other trades I had forgotten about:
Yellow 7 Pot
Douglah
Malagueta
Pusa Jwala

A few pod shots this Sunday morning—Yellow 7 Pot, seed from Hippy:

yellow7.jpg

The rest of the Yellow 7s, seeds from Romy6. The lone Hippy plant is in the upper left:

yellow7all.jpg

Bonda ma Jacques, seeds from Spicegeist:

bonda.jpg

Aji Cristal, seeds from RedtailForester:

ajicristal.jpg

Caribbean Red Habanero, 3rd year overwinter:

crh.jpg

Aji Amarillo, overwinter. I think I may actually get a ripe one of these this year:

ajiamarillo3.jpg

Aji Amarillo, current season planting:

ajiamarillo.jpg

Aji Amarillo. These plants look cool to me. The leaves are huge:

ajiamarillo2.jpg

Full view of windchicken-certified vegetable beds with 6 Aji Amarillo plants (front) and 6 Aji Umba plants (back):

garden.jpg

Coral Reef, seeds from wayright:

coralreef.jpg

very nice garden and your plants becoming gigantic evryday :dance: :dance: :dance:

Baking Inferno Garden Update, today, June 26, 2012 (Forecast says 102ºF, with a cloudless sky and no wind).

Zapotec Jalapeño. This is the perfect point of Jalapeño ripeness for me—maximum heat and flavor, but still crunchy and juicy:

zapotec1.jpg

Another Zapotec shot for armac. Rodney, the seeds in these red pods are for you, my Brother in the Valley:

zapotec2.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo. However many plants of these you are growing, it cannot possibly be enough:

chilhuacle.jpg

These chiles are for my sister-in-law Luz, a culinary-school-trained master chef from Monterey, Old Mexico. She gets pissed if I forget to grow Poblano:

poblano.jpg

My new buddy Charlie. Sorry about the blurry shots, but he is never still for the camera:

charlie1.jpg

Charlie loves the water hose. I am told this is typical for labs:

charlie2.jpg

Charlie and Tippi, our Cairn Terrier. Tippi has been the badass of the yard for years. Maybe she can maintain her position...Only time will tell:

charlie4.jpg

Both dogs are cool. Charlie looks like a yard dog that used to be around a Halliburton camp in Florida many years ago.

What kind is Charlie.....full lab?

Have not grown jalapenos in a while. Are they decent heat?

those jalapenos will be awesome for stuffings :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Thanks! Sounds like a plan to me... :drooling:

Both dogs are cool. Charlie looks like a yard dog that used to be around a Halliburton camp in Florida many years ago.

What kind is Charlie.....full lab?

Have not grown jalapenos in a while. Are they decent heat?

Thanks, Rodney! He looks like full lab to me, but I can't be sure...Someone just dumped him off at our company yard. So, yeah, he was almost an oil camp yard dog like the one you mentioned, except I brought him home.

I've not yet tried one of these Zapotecs that was fully "up to steam," just little immature ones from root-bound container plants—Those were about average heat for Jalapeño. The flesh was quite thick, crunchy, and juicy—There was a little puddle of chile juice in the stem end of one of the pods I tried...Anyway, I expect that the fully-corked, fully-developed pods from in-ground plants, like the one in the photo above, will have substantially more heat. I'll report back on that later.

Thanks Pinoy! I'm trying to work up my nerve. The last time I tried one of those it kicked my butt... :mouthonfire:

This post is for armac:

My co-workers and I tried out several "corky" pods of the Zapotec Jalapeño, along with a couple Pink Brandywine tomatoes at lunch today (a.k.a. "dinner" in DeSoto Parish).

I found the Zapotec to be toward the milder end of the Jalapeño range, with a very nice sweetness. It tastes a whole lot better than it sounds, actually quite pleasing: Beer tasters would call it "balanced." Notice in the photo how meaty the insides are. The void space is almost nonexistent.

The Brandywine was rather tasty as well. I'm pretty sure I even detected a little winey-ness....

peppers%26tomatoes.jpg

Very nice. Such an indepth review from a refined pallette, you make the oilfield proud......

Send Charlie in an overnight box, I will make a home for him:-)

Very nice. Such an indepth review from a refined pallette, you make the oilfield proud......

Send Charlie in an overnight box, I will make a home for him:-)

Thanks Rodney! The Zapotec has turned out to be real popular with my family. The oilfield guys, on the other hand, are digging Smiter's Piquins—Yeah Baby those are some spicy chiles! (more on that later) For me, of the two Oaxacan varieties I got from Beth, I'm really digging the Chilhuacle Rojo—excellent medium-heat, flavorful chewiness, with just the right back-sweetness—almost like a spicy Fruit Roll-Up. It will probably be a "must grow" for me from now on.

Probably the older dogs would love for me to box Charlie up and ship him off—He's constantly bugging them to play, and they just want to sit around and chill....

Sounds promising, Gary! Good luck with that Scorpion :P

Thanks Stefan! I never ate the Scorpion in the photo—When I picked it I found a bug hole. But yesterday I picked another one about that same size and sliced it in half lengthwise—The capsaicin layer on the inside of the pod was very thick. I chopped up one of the halves into my morning grits-with-olive-oil yesterday, and had the other half today. Maybe I'm just too old for these extreme superhots, or maybe I should go down to 1/4 or 1/3 of a pod, because they are just destroying my stomach. Even 4 hours later today I was experiencing a rather unpleasant stomach burn...The flavor and aroma, however, are excellent.

Keep the pod coming gary, love the scorps also

Thanks, Firditra! It's funny, this year my Scorpions are in containers, while last year they were in the ground. But this year the plants are way more productive. I think maybe it's because they are getting much better care on my patio at home, where I can give them more attention. Also, last year the weather was very hot and dry, while this year it has been cooler and rainier.

I have so limited space, so container is my best friend, container also make me have more varieties to grow then on land. It will have less yield indeed, but less water used also.

PS: I'm trying your bark tree method on the container, so far so good, less pest and less watering even on 35c weather.

Thanks for trying the wood chips...I always forget to mention that they help in containers as well.

Here's a few pod shots from this evening—

Yellow 7 Pot, seeds from Hippy:

yellow7.jpg

Bonda ma Jacques, seeds from SpiceGeist:

bonda.jpg

Brito's Peach, seeds from Chris:

britos.jpg

Aji Umba, seeds from Peppermania:

umba.jpg

Guampinha de Veado overwinter, seeds from Peppermania:

guampinha.jpg

Thanks, Jamie! You got it dude!

You're probably right about that Pinoy! The superhots are definitely spanking me this year! I will let you know how bad it made me cry...

Gary

Back