• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken Grow 2012

Looks like I'm getting a late start again this year...Should be setting seeds to sprout in the next few days....Anyway, here's the order I made from Beth this morning. It's not really my complete grow list, because I'm planting lots of saved seeds (from my 2011 Grow and from trades with my THP friends) for the first time this year. Also, I don't know that I will plant everything from this order, but I am excited about some of the new varieties:

Peppermania%205Jan2012.jpg

Absent from the above list but going in the ground this year:
Trinidad Scorpion
Congo Trinidad
True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Thai Chile (Garden Bird Seed variety)
Nambe Pueblo
Birgit's Locoto

Several bird types from THP friends, including, but not limited to (because I can't remember them all right now):
Texas Chiltepin
Prik Ki Nue
Siling Labuyo
Cumari do Para

Edited 1/9/2012 to add the following:

Last minute order from Hippy, plus some other trades I had forgotten about:
Yellow 7 Pot
Douglah
Malagueta
Pusa Jwala

Beignets rock for sure...especially with some sure-nuff cafe au lait...

Brian is South Louisiana grower. Look in the glog list for Brian2112. His grandma is tending a row of Scorpions for him behind her house. Check out the swampy area with the Spanish moss-draped oak trees out back—How's that for a baby Scorpion?:

IMG_0526.jpg

You need to move further south. We can watch each other's garden when the other gets busy.....cool plants man.

That's a pretty awesome Scorpion in the photo above!

how much beer will you leave at the garden for the weeder?
All Gary's crop is in pots, Rodney. There's always kidnapping for ransom! Bwahahahaha!!!
Don't take my babies, please—Okay guys, it's a weed-pulling kegger! I am only halfway kidding, because there is a forest of trash growth down there as I type this...
That's a pretty awesome Scorpion in the photo above!
Love the Granny scorpion Gary! Cool looking swamp too.
Thanks, guys, but Brian2112, our South Louisiana comrade-in-gardening, is the grower of that lovely plant. I predict that Brian will be Louisiana's answer to Alabama Jack. :cool:

Don't take my babies—Okay guys, it's a weed-pulling kegger! I am only halfway kidding, because there is a forest of trash growth down there as I type this...

Hmmm...how long is the drive from Austin to Shreveport? This pesky job that feeds my family is always in the way!

Okay, first plant-out of 2012 was yesterday, May 21. Definitely a new record for lateness for me. These 6 plants are Aji Umba, an amazingly vigorous C. chinense from Suriname, on the Caribbean coast of South America:

AjiUmba.jpg

The container babies awaiting plant-out at the big garden are beginning to bear fruit. Zapotec Jalapeño:

Zapotec.jpg

California Wonder:

CalWonder.jpg

Hmmm...how long is the drive from Austin to Shreveport? This pesky job that feeds my family is always in the way!
:P I was supposed to be retired by the time I got to this age, doing whatever the hell I wanted to do...What happened to that?
The ground certainly looks more fertile there, than it does here.

Very nice sir
Thanks, Rodney! The soil here is quite nice, but it does need some help. What you see is the result of three years of amending and mulching with hardwood chips. I'm in uncharted waters here, because by now the hardwood should be producing nitrogen instead of taking it up, so I don't really know how much fertilizer to use, if any. I let some weeds come up on these rows to see how green they would get...and it looked like maybe they could have used a little N. I'll be watching these plants very closely...

Gary

Looking guuud! Even with your 'late' start, you are sure to rocket along if those Zapotecs are an indicator.

I've got several of your Congo Trinidad up and running, some in containers, some in the ground, some to other gardeners locally. NW Wx has not been primo, but not as bad as last year. The Congo seedlings grew strong, so we have a shot here! Everyone is really enthused about trying to grow this pepper. I'll be sure to post an 'end of the season' report featuring the Boise Congos.

Your earlier post about stubborn germination for the Guampinha de Veado rang true with me also. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I did get 3 nice specimens out of about 20 seeds. Can't wait to see if I can get some of those little beauties to pod up.

I'm able to try container planting this year and they are doing way better than in-ground, even as I experiment with soil mixes.

Also, thanks for your recco for Peppermania. I've enjoyed everything from Beth--I have some really nice looking Zapotecs and Chilhaucle Rojo, as well as some mystery plants all very good stuff.... :cool:

Siliman,

If you have the time, we'd love to see you update in the Peppermania Mystery Seed thread, too!

We're having fun with it...

Thanks, Grass...I've got plenty of Zapotec, though—12 healthy plants of it. I believe it's meatfreak that needs seeds.

Have a great weekend!

Gary

I would like too grow the variety next season yeah, there's no rush and it's too late for this season. Got enough going right now as it is :) We can trade some at the end of the season :dance:

Back