• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
The nute lockout is slowly sorting itself out as the wood sandings break down.
Plants are looking a bit better every day, i hit them with chilli focus, rhizotonic (to encourage root growth), seasol and ph balanced water at 6.
Probably need to feed them again as its been raining two days straight now.

Work computers are $hit at the moment and will not allow access to pohbucket hence no pics. :(

The nute lockout is slowly sorting itself out as the wood sandings break down.
Plants are looking a bit better every day, i hit them with chilli focus, rhizotonic (to encourage root growth), seasol and ph balanced water at 6.
Probably need to feed them again as its been raining two days straight now.
Here's some photos of what I'm looking forward to:

kIV9h.jpg

Largest and second Datil pod

tiwqO.jpg

Largest two Fatalii pods

Work computers are $hit at the moment and will not allow access to pohbucket hence no pics. :(
Are you able to view any of the photos posted here?

Yes i can view pics but can't access PB OR thp OR other forums, i am on my phone now.
Not to fear our IT guy is coming the sarvo, he will leave intact if he fixes it. :lol:

Yes i can view pics but can't access PB OR thp OR other forums, i am on my phone now.
Not to fear our IT guy is coming the sarvo, he will leave intact if he fixes it. :lol:

I can show you a million ways to get around it ;). If it's just a linux "firewall", it's easy as piss. If they have something more enterprise grade it just a little harder but not impossible.
Sound like just asking the admin to allow it is easier in your case tho :P

Kidnap the computer and leave a ransom note saying it will remain unharmed once it is agreed that ALL sites will be unlocked on it's return. Just make sure you demand ALL sites so it can't be traced back to you..... ;)

I'm pretty sure I know what is causing my leaf drop now.... it's gotta be bloody Eco-Oil! (Well, either that or it's a mighty big coincidence it's only happening to plants--chilli and other--that I have used it on.)

Although effective, the stuff leaves a permanent sticky/oily coating on the leaves which I think is suffocating them. I've tried washing it off too--even with soapy water--but to no avail. Reckon degreaser would harm my plants? :lol:

The affected plants don't seem to be shooting any new growth either so I'm wondering if the coating on the stems is also preventing that. :mad:

Poor planties.... :(

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

On some better news.... starting to see pods on some of my overwinters.

Hot Summer (with Aji Lemon in the background):

IMG_6555.jpg

Naga Jolokia Purple (parent pod of cross-pollination with Hot Summer--not really exciting, but anyway):

IMG_6553.jpg

Kung Pao (strangely much fatter than the pods it was producing last season):

IMG_6554.jpg

Oh yeah, scored from Coles today too....

IMG_6559.jpg

$1 each on end of range clearance. :D

Also got a 5L pressure sprayer for $5 and those hand trigger sprayer bottle thingies for like 25c each.... can never have enough of them!

I'm pretty sure I know what is causing my leaf drop now.... it's gotta be bloody Eco-Oil! (Well, either that or it's a mighty big coincidence it's only happening to plants--chilli and other--that I have used it on.)

Although effective, the stuff leaves a permanent sticky/oily coating on the leaves which I think is suffocating them. I've tried washing it off too--even with soapy water--but to no avail. Reckon degreaser would harm my plants? :lol:

The affected plants don't seem to be shooting any new growth either so I'm wondering if the coating on the stems is also preventing that. :mad:

Poor planties.... :(

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg
Oh no!
You see, I did this (link to another forum) http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13817562&postcount=183
Now the plants are in the buckets under a tree way down the back yard, I haven't had to look after them or water them for two weeks. They seem to be better off without me being involved :D
The only thing that worries me is pests, I got a bit worried about aphids and haven't seen anyone sell neem here in Perth. I was going to get that eco oil stuff tomorow as that's the closest thing I've seen to neem, as there has been a couple of ahpids and there were heap of ants and aphids in the mulched garden bed last year.
Sorry for linking to another forum, but you can see that's where it all started for me in January this year. Also you can see how epic milk man is into chillies, his whole entire front yard is raised garden beds with chillies, and unseen in the photo is between the footpath and the street is the pots containing bhuts. http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12770732&postcount=160

Ant rid. Comes in a liquid form that you place on the ant tracks.
They eat it and carry it back to the nest, not sure about toxicity to dogs though. Maybe you could just use it where he cannot get to it.

Ant rid. Comes in a liquid form that you place on the ant tracks.
They eat it and carry it back to the nest, not sure about toxicity to dogs though. Maybe you could just use it where he cannot get to it.

I'm heading off to bunnings tomorrow to pick up a few supplies, will take a look and see if they have any there. will do some research on it before i buy though, my little puppy somehow manages to get into everything. :crazy: :lol:

Oh no!
You see, I did this (link to another forum) http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13817562&postcount=183
Now the plants are in the buckets under a tree way down the back yard, I haven't had to look after them or water them for two weeks. They seem to be better off without me being involved :D
The only thing that worries me is pests, I got a bit worried about aphids and haven't seen anyone sell neem here in Perth. I was going to get that eco oil stuff tomorow as that's the closest thing I've seen to neem, as there has been a couple of ahpids and there were heap of ants and aphids in the mulched garden bed last year.
Don't do it! Eco-oil may be effective at killing pests--I spotted a few aphids myself a couple months back, smashed 'em with Eco-oil a couple times, and haven't seen any since--but it's just not worth it. I feel like I saved my plants from being killed by pests only so I could have the privilege of killing them myself.... :lol: (Yes, I have to laugh or I'll cry!)

At this point in time, I'm seriously thinking natural predators may just be the way to go. Especially after doing some further research and discovering that even solutions like soap--natural or otherwise--may also leave a film behind which can impair the plants ability to "breath" and transpire. (Just to add, for argument's sake, I did not get this information from any official study or anything but rather from a forum dedicated to growing, uh, "other" plants. I do believe though that some of these guys REALLY know what's good for their plants... ;))

I've pretty much put off trying natural predators due to the cost of 'em, but now looking back at how much I have spent on different sprays, etc, and how much effort I have put into using them, I think it might be time I bite the bullet and give 'em a burl.....

Sorry for linking to another forum, but you can see that's where it all started for me in January this year. Also you can see how epic milk man is into chillies, his whole entire front yard is raised garden beds with chillies, and unseen in the photo is between the footpath and the street is the pots containing bhuts. http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=12770732&postcount=160
MaD_MaN.... :cool:

Don't do it! Eco-oil may be effective at killing pests--I spotted a few aphids myself a couple months back, smashed 'em with Eco-oil a couple times, and haven't seen any since--but it's just not worth it. I feel like I saved my plants from being killed by pests only so I could have the privilege of killing them myself.... :lol: (Yes, I have to laugh or I'll cry!)

At this point in time, I'm seriously thinking natural predators may just be the way to go. Especially after doing some further research and discovering that even solutions like soap--natural or otherwise--may also leave a film behind which can impair the plants ability to "breath" and transpire. (Just to add, for argument's sake, I did not get this information from any official study or anything but rather from a forum dedicated to growing, uh, "other" plants. I do believe though that some of these guys REALLY know what's good for their plants... ;))

I've pretty much put off trying natural predators due to the cost of 'em, but now looking back at how much I have spent on different sprays, etc, and how much effort I have put into using them, I think it might be time I bite the bullet and give 'em a burl.....

MaD_MaN.... :cool:

Eco-Neem (Same maker as eco-oil) has an vegetable oil emulsion in it (at least the older stuff did the newer stuff seems more concentrated) to help it spread and stick to plants.

I never had an issue with it suffocating the plants. However the higher temperatures lately coupled with the eco-oil (which appears to have a similar emulsion base) on the leaves could have a lot to do with the issues you are having gas (especially as they are not getting any respite at night either with the temps staying up around 24-25).

The older neem bottle I had clearly stated to avoid spraying when the temperatures are going to exceed 28-30 degrees.

Maybe wait for a cooler period in the day/night (and a slightly cooler time to spray like the last couple of days where the temps only nudged 26-27 and fell to 22 at night ... freezing :rofl: )

Dunno I am sure you know all this anyway.

On my good news front I have just got a purple flash and Birdseye HTM sprout last night (25 days after putting them down :mouthonfire: )

I just planted some of my seeds that have germinated using the paper towel and plastic bag trick.

I got pretty good results. :dance:
2/3 Bih Jolokia
3/4 Aji Lemon
4/4 TS butch T
2/3 Large yellow 7 pod
1 Asian birdseye (I have more just using to fill the 12 slot trays if needed)

Only thing that hasn't worked so far is the choc bhut Jolokia, but we have had some cooler weather here so it just may need afew more days. Had alot of rain in the last week, I'm hoping my plants don't become over watered because of it. I have them under a tree which I think greatly reduces the amount of water they get from rain.

Damn Gas, I'm glad I bought Neem oil, instead of Eco oil. I tried a Yates soap spray at one point with bad results.

Shadow Chilli, I used to mix borax with honey and give it to the ants. Not sure if it is safe for animals.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4471409_fight-ants-borax.html

Eco-Neem (Same maker as eco-oil) has an vegetable oil emulsion in it (at least the older stuff did the newer stuff seems more concentrated) to help it spread and stick to plants.

I never had an issue with it suffocating the plants. However the higher temperatures lately coupled with the eco-oil (which appears to have a similar emulsion base) on the leaves could have a lot to do with the issues you are having gas (especially as they are not getting any respite at night either with the temps staying up around 24-25).

The older neem bottle I had clearly stated to avoid spraying when the temperatures are going to exceed 28-30 degrees.

Maybe wait for a cooler period in the day/night (and a slightly cooler time to spray like the last couple of days where the temps only nudged 26-27 and fell to 22 at night ... freezing :rofl: )

Dunno I am sure you know all this anyway.

On my good news front I have just got a purple flash and Birdseye HTM sprout last night (25 days after putting them down :mouthonfire: )
Yeah, I always only spray when the temps are cooler. ;)

I think the trouble is, Eco-Oil leaves a permanent thick coating--I mean, that shit is visible--so regardless of what the temps are when you spray, it's still there when the temps rise. In most cases it has been weeks, even a month or more, and several rinses since I used the stuff and I can still see it on the leaves....

That being said, I used to use the Eco-Oil* too and never had any troubles with it. But after this experience with Eco-Oil, I think in future I'll be extremely hesitant to use any oil whatsoever....

*Oops, I meant Eco-Neem!

Damn Gas, I'm glad I bought Neem oil, instead of Eco oil.
I am too. Especially as I think I may have suggested Eco-Oil to you at one stage.... :oops:

I just planted some of my seeds that have germinated using the paper towel and plastic bag trick.

I got pretty good results. :dance:
2/3 Bih Jolokia
3/4 Aji Lemon
4/4 TS butch T
2/3 Large yellow 7 pod
1 Asian birdseye (I have more just using to fill the 12 slot trays if needed)

Only thing that hasn't worked so far is the choc bhut Jolokia, but we have had some cooler weather here so it just may need afew more days. Had alot of rain in the last week, I'm hoping my plants don't become over watered because of it. I have them under a tree which I think greatly reduces the amount of water they get from rain.
Awesome to hear. :cool:

Yeah, sometimes certain varieties can take awhile. If you still see nothing from the Choc Bhuts in a week or two and are super keen on growing them, give me a yell and I can send you some more. Only thing is, the only Choc Bhut seeds I have left are saved from open-pollinated pods I grew last season and as all my Bhuts were grown within very close proximity to each other, no guarantees they will grow true..... ;)

I only used half the seeds you gave me. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. At first I had my seeds up on top of my shelf, close to the ceiling to get the warmer air. temp was about 25C/77F. But by Tuesday it became clear that the temp had dropped to 20C/68F, which is too low for germination (in my un-expert opinion). I moved the seeds on top of my foxtel box, I don't know the exact temp their at but I don't see it being over 30C/86F. Problem is some parts are warmer then others and the choc bhuts may have been on a colder area, I know the TS's were on a warm spot so will the choc bhuts there.

Thanks for the seeds Gas, you have been a great help. :D I don't think I will be doing more seeds this season This was in part a test for next season, and still is. All I have to do is get them to grow now. :lol:

EDIT: Just went up the yard to find something has attacked my Serrano's! :mad: I had the plant that was looking awesome, growing well, now something has decided to eat whole leaves off it. :shocked: I will get some pictures when/if the damn rain stops.

Back