• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
i thought you lived in the middle of nowhere, Where'd ya get pizza from LOL.
Never heard of pizza capers in Perth.
Eagle boys and pizzahut used to do a chilli pizza here with jalapenos, but even though I live central to perth there's no one of those around me, so impossible to get a chilli pizza anymore.'
Luckily I'm prepared though and grow my own chillies hey?

i thought you lived in the middle of nowhere, Where'd ya get pizza from LOL.
Never heard of pizza capers in Perth.
Eagle boys and pizzahut used to do a chilli pizza here with jalapenos, but even though I live central to perth there's no one of those around me, so impossible to get a chilli pizza anymore.'
Luckily I'm prepared though and grow my own chillies hey?

No Pizza joints near me, my mate Danny brought it down to the farm this arvo from Vegas.

They have a real good heat to them, the shop said there not selling very well "only the chilli head`s come in to buy them" :party:

Mezo.

Yeah, Pablo, I don't get the paper towel thing. I tried it a long time ago (for some non-pepper seeds) and all I ended up with was a bunch of mold and rotten seeds. Maybe we're doing it wrong?

As far as mold and jiffy's goes, it happens sometimes but as far as I can tell, it doesn't affect my babies so I just leave it be. More unsightly than anything else.

That's an idea too, Trips... using boiling water to expand jiffys and kill sh*t. I've never thought of that one before.

Interesting, moo. When you say "strong" and "short", what are you talking? And what, do you just fish 'em out of the peroxide and plonk 'em straight into the chamomile or do you rinse them first? (Rinsing sounds like too much effort for me.... :lol:)

I haven't had Pizza Capers in aaaages, Meez. Don't know what they're like now, but they used to pile on way too much topping for my liking. (Not something one usually complains about, eh? :lol:)

Well they wont be around for much longer (few weeks) only chilliheads are buying them so once they have used up the stock its end of it sadly.

There is also a hot sauce in a bottle you can buy (we tried it last night) im guessing its one of our members selling it to Pizza Capers & they label it up under there name, not a bad sauce (hab based) hits the back of your throat.

The BS on the bottle says "we asked our local chillihead sauce maker to make us a super hot one"

So yep, had a bit of a ring stinger last night, Bhut toasted burger sandwich for brekkie, an Inferno for lunch & the evening meal had this hot sauce all over it, i had to run to the dunny twice nearly crapped in me daks lads.

Mezo.

Yeah, Pablo, I don't get the paper towel thing. I tried it a long time ago (for some non-pepper seeds) and all I ended up with was a bunch of mold and rotten seeds. Maybe we're doing it wrong?

Interesting, moo. When you say "strong" and "short", what are you talking? And what, do you just fish 'em out of the peroxide and plonk 'em straight into the chamomile or do you rinse them first? (Rinsing sounds like too much effort for me.... :lol:)

I make up the tea and the H2O2 and fill two identical ice cube trays with each solution. The trays are numbered and I write a list so I know what varieties are what. Then I tap a few seeds into the H2O2 tray and by the time I've finished doing that, (3 rows of 9, so 27 different varieties at a time) the first ones have been in there long enough, about 5 minutes. I then fish out the seeds with a pair of tweezers and put them straight into the chamomile tea ice cube tray. It sounds really fiddly but with a broad pair of tweezers and practice its quick and simple, you don't have to fish around for them, don't even have to look. It only takes me ten minutes from start to finish. They stay in the half strength chamomile tea for 24hrs. I then tweezer them into little soil pots in a sealed tub and leave on a heat mat. Always get my first sprout within a week, and after two weeks if they haven't sprouted they won't.

If I get a stubborn or an old variety I double the strength of the H2O2 and leave them in it for 10-15 minutes, before going into the tea. Most don't need that though.

The one time I did the paper towel in plastic sandwich bags, I had a lot of varieties that didn't sprout and also a lot that got black mould. I figured the mould was from my handling them. Also there probably wasn't enough air in the bags. With a soak first and a dome with air and moisture the rates would probably be higher.

Wow... is it just me or does Bunnings just keep getting sh*tter and sh*tter? Went in today to try and track down some Debco SRM and couldn't even find a single Debco product! And to add insult to injury, looks like they have discontinued Triple Boost too. First the short plant tags went (I don't want the long-ass pieces of sh*t--they restrict my babies from getting close enough to my light), then the good jiffys, then the more-bang-for-your-buck perlite, now this crap??

Hey moo, is this what you are talking about?

IMG_7621.jpg

I've always done the ice cube tray thing... sans double dip, of course. Funny, never thought of using tweezers though but makes sense x1000.... :lol:

^ That's exactly what I did last year when double soaking seeds, (and used tweezers as well ).

Yeah bunnings is crap, I had to call around last year to find any debco products, most didn't have them. I think only 4 stores in the whole of perth NOR carried their SRM. And as far as potting mix only some had their pot mate only, and others only had their organic mix only.

For plant labels I cut up old seasol and soil wetter containers into strips and label with permanent marker. Perm marker labeling doesn't last out in the weather, but OK for seedlings, then I switch to the tall pencil markers for mature plants.

Had a few seeds rot in the coir after 2 weeks now, but I put that down to crap seeds, as any decent seed sprouted quick. And I think that's the heart of the matter, good seed will sprout without all the pre soaking, the ones that rotted or went moldy last year did it even after all the soaking.

Have you bought anything from batphone before, Trips? Curious to know what the p&h will be. Oh well, I guess I'll found out... keen to give Micro-Sil a burl this season and I'm guessing the only place I'll get it is from batphone!

EDIT:

Hey, damn... QLD Stockists. (Still not holding my breath on finding Micro-Sil though....)

This is how I do it. Two of those trays, then the list and small pots are numbered so everything is reusable. Then write with permanent marker on plastic knives for their first pot up.

edbike005.jpg

I've noticed the trend in bunnings as well. Every product they stock has been steadily changing to the cheaper crappier version that breaks easily so you have to get another. Because they've forced most of their opposition out of business they really don't care. Most people will follow the advertising like cows to the milking shed.

Yeah, f*ck Bunnings. I'm gonna start supporting independent nurseries and garden/landscape supply stores... even if I have to pay more.

Wesfarmers/Bunnings, Woolworths/Masters... it's all the same crap--nothing more really than a different name. I still want to support the little guys. How rare are nurseries these days?? I find it sad as hell that most have been forced out of business but yet I've been throwing money at the responsible party!

(On the flipside: at least Bunnings has a bit of competition now....)

I realise they are the same but on the gold coast there is very little choice anyway. When I first moved over from new Zealand I was shocked at the general lack of garden centres and nursaries I have got used to my limitations now but you are right its not good;

Aye, I guess we have no other choice than to get used to the limitations (not to mention the cheaper prices). Sadly, it never used to be this way though. When I was a kid, there used to be nurseries everywhere! One by one they slowly started disappearing and just saw another localish one die not so long ago. :(

In all honesty, I have yet to step foot in a Masters (I only found out about them when you mentioned them last night :lol:) but I will bet my bottom clam that it's the same garbage (product pushing over demand).

Apparently there is one 10km from me... might check it out today... not holding my breath though.

Aye, I guess we have no other choice than to get used to the limitations (not to mention the cheaper prices). Sadly, it never used to be this way though. When I was a kid, there used to be nurseries everywhere! One by one they slowly started disappearing and just saw another localish one die not so long ago. :(

In all honesty, I have yet to step foot in a Masters (I only found out about them when you mentioned them last night :lol:) but I will bet my bottom clam that it's the same garbage (product pushing over demand).

Apparently there is one 10km from me... might check it out today... not holding my breath though.

I got told they are much more professional then bunnings although that really doesn't mean too much!! :D

I got told they are much more professional then bunnings although that really doesn't mean too much!! :D

Hmmm... would explain why the Bunnings range was looking far more "structured" than usual when I went in yesterday (at least in the garden department). Nice new packaging/bags and everything on some of the stuff (maybe pushed by Bunnings?)

Unfortunately, by the looks of things, they are working towards a Scotts/Osmocote, Searles and Hortico dominant range. Even Yates looks like it may be getting the boot.

I know, I know... Bunnings are notorious for day-to-day and store-to-store inconsistency... but something about the looks of this... I dunno, it just felt different... definitely structured.

We shall see, eh?

Hmmm... would explain why the Bunnings range was looking far more "structured" than usual when I went in yesterday (at least in the garden department). Nice new packaging/bags and everything on some of the stuff (maybe pushed by Bunnings?)

Unfortunately, by the looks of things, they are working towards a Scotts/Osmocote, Searles and Hortico dominant range. Even Yates looks like it may be getting the boot.

I know, I know... Bunnings are notorious for day-to-day and store-to-store inconsistency... but something about the looks of this... I dunno, it just felt different... definitely structured.

We shall see, eh?

Yeah. There is a huge new bunnings being built near me (apparently the biggest bunnings store ever built 22,000Sqm of floor space) it should be finished in a few weeks/months I think. I hope they don't start limiting what products they have because I was hoping the new store might mean more range??

Let me know what you think of masters Gas. If it is any good I might take a look at the local one

Will do, Trips. Just about to head off now....

I wouldn't be holding my breath on the new Bunnings store... not if Bunnings are indeed following the same "product structuring" trend as the two big supermarkets--funnily enough, one owned by Wesfarmers hmmmmm. There seems to be less and less variety/choice in the two supermarkets these days and just bigger spaces for the stuff they do carry!

Hopefully I'm wrong!

Back