• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Australia is great! :D

Fatalii - taken just this morning:

IMG_7628.jpg

Still flowering and producing too but bloody possums keep snapping up the baby pods. Damn things have stripped the plant of leaves too:

IMG_7629.jpg

Stupid things got into a mature pod the other night... should've been mad when I saw bits of it spat out around the place but pissed myself laughing instead.

Also had a surprise waiting for me this morning... first one up for next season:

IMG_7631.jpg

Aji Amarillo x Yellow T Scorp F2. Looks like it may be a helmet-head though.

(And somebody remind me to use a permanent marker next time, won't ya? That sh*t better not be toxic... it keeps running down the plant tags!)

Shortest day today? I could've sworn we have already passed that! For about a week now it's felt like the days have started getting little longer again.... :confused:
Nice work gas!!
Well you could be excused for thinking they are getting longer as the sun is actually setting a little later at night but rising a little later as well. From tomorrow the days get longer starting with later sunsets initially followed by earlier sunrise

Does that make sense?? :/ :D

Artline 70 Performance Markers (us sparky`s swear by them) never runs or fades.

artline-70-permanent-marker-bullet-tip-1-5mm.jpg

Me toms know the suns coming back, spotted these this morning. :dance:

blackprince17.jpg

blackprince18.jpg

Mezo.

Sweet, Mezo! What variety are they?

I would love to grow some tomatoes (amongst other stuff) but it's just not worth it where I am with all the pests around. I even went as far to order and start a handful of great sounding varieties a couple years back but ended up neglecting them in favour of my chillies when the going got tough.

EDIT:

Will definitely consider one of them markers too. ;)

I've had a few you beaut markers in my time... don't know what possessed me to use the one I did.

Nice work gas!!
Well you could be excused for thinking they are getting longer as the sun is actually setting a little later at night but rising a little later as well. From tomorrow the days get longer starting with later sunsets initially followed by earlier sunrise

Does that make sense?? :/ :D

Cheers bro!

Yeah, it's the later evenings I've been noticing....

They are Black Prince, never grown them before.

Apparently (according to Conor who sent me the seeds) originate from Siberia. and Conor spent his backpacking days in QLD & thought if they grew in Siberia they should do well here, his plants in Canada grew to 12ft in height (ive seen his pics).

bl_black_prince5.jpg

black-prince.jpg

Mezo.

Can you buy the seeds here mezo for those toms?? Look like they could be a good present for the family in new Zealand who are always looking for nice tomato varieties . What do they taste like ??

Mmmm.... black/purple tomatoes!

Got my hands on some Purple Russians once from the markets... tasty as! Bought a Black Russian plant from Bunnings too a couple years ago and managed to see a tom or two from it before it died on me.

One of the varieties I was talking about that I started a couple years back was Purple Calabash. It's a shame it didn't survive long... was really looking forward to it.

Do you manage to kill everything you grow Gas?

What do they taste like ??

Dunno trips they only peeked at me this morning, them pics were examples i grabbed of Google.

It does say,,,

However, it's popularity has grown so much in Russia that there is now a company in Volograd that is producing an extract of the Black Prince called "Black Prince Tomato Oil." The Black Prince tomato is said to have considerable health benefits beyond the presence of lycopene.

Mezo.

I got a bunch of tomato seeds a year ago. I deliberately went for some of the varieties that weren't red, so green striped or dark ones.

I got some vines going but the same thing happened where I neglected them in favour of the chillies. Then I moved to `bad garden house` and didn't do them at all for a season.

I'm not really a fan of raw tomatoes at all but my kids eat them so might do some this summer, have a crack some homemade chilli ketchup.

The site I got them from www.edenseeds.com.au has a lot of varieties.

I got a bunch of tomato seeds a year ago. I deliberately went for some of the varieties that weren't red, so green striped or dark ones.

I got some vines going but the same thing happened where I neglected them in favour of the chillies. Then I moved to `bad garden house` and didn't do them at all for a season.

I'm not really a fan of raw tomatoes at all but my kids eat them so might do some this summer, have a crack some homemade chilli ketchup.

The site I got them from www.edenseeds.com.au has a lot of varieties.

Eden Seeds/Select Organics is where I got my tom seeds too. How did you go for germ rates? My toms did pretty good but I also got some chillies and they didn't do too well at all! I never even managed germ at all with a few of them.

I went for the "different" sorta varieties too. Spewin' I never saw anything from any of them.

It is if you whack it with a hammer. :rofl:

black-blue-thumbs-00.jpg

Mezo.

Mezo, you funny bastard... :rofl:

Same as you, good with tomatoes, average with chillies. But back then I was just chucking everything in dirt. Didn't soak or use heat mat or anything. Some were fine but with two varieties I had nothing.

Same as you, good with tomatoes, average with chillies. But back then I was just chucking everything in dirt. Didn't soak or use heat mat or anything. Some were fine but with two varieties I had nothing.

Soaking, heat mats... magic wands.... I bet it still wouldn't have made a difference. Did all that and they were still bad.

(But then again, I am notorious for killing everything I grow! :lol:)

Winter Scorps. :D

IMG_7635.jpg

IMG_7637.jpg

IMG_7638.jpg

Now that fruitfly appear to have P.O'd for the Winter, hopefully I'll get a chance to munch on some of 'em! Didn't get to eat one last season....

Winter Choc Bhut and Cheiro White:

IMG_7660.jpg

Some funky cool Aji Amarillo x Yellow Scorp pods I found on one of the F1's:

IMG_7662.jpg

And since I haven't used chemicals for a while, good guys have been reappearing!

IMG_7655.jpg

:dance:

Well seems were looking at mantis pics, here`s a couple i took whilst living in Kiwianna, friendly little fellow he was.

DSCN3445.jpg

DSCN3447.jpg

DSCN3443.jpg

DSCN3446.jpg

I know what your thinking, lucky shot eh Mez.

Here`s a fly sitting on my Kangaroo paw in Perth.

flyonpaws3.jpg

flyonpaws2.jpg

And a pretty flower or two in Perth.

BlueFlowers.jpg

DSCN7069.jpg

All taken on a 5MP non SLR camera, that im still using to do my pics on my glogs with.

Mezo.

Yes, very nice shots mezo! :cool:

(Crazy mantis things look like aliens!)

You get the last laugh, Trips... summer pods are hotter than winter pods. ;)

Back