• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Would you f'in believe... spider mite now?? :rofl: (yes, I laugh or I would cry!)

Found my kumquat tree and curry leaf tree crawling with the bastages.

Not overly concerned at this point... like aphids, they usually make a brief appearance around Autumn/Winter here. But F me... I've never seen this many. :scared:

Not overly concerned at this point... like aphids, they usually make a brief appearance around Autumn/Winter here. But F me... I've never seen this many. :scared:

Kidding me right Gas? today i nuked them for the fourth time in two weeks. !!

My plats are getting eaten alive? so i looked under the leaves & there were hundreds of the little sods, so i made up 8liters of spray & concentrated on only the undersides of all the plants leaves, i may have lost a few plants already to them but ive grown a few so not so concerned if i loose a few plats here & there.

Its all out war right now & im glad i got a 5 liter one, im going to need it.

Mezo.

OK... after hearing that, maybe I am a bit concerned now. I guess our great Winter--except for the last week of rain--comes with a price... great conditions for bloody spider mite! (and aphids)

What are you hittin' yours with? I've just gone the good old neem oil for now laced with some Silica feed for the plants. They say it strengthens cell walls thus making it harder for sap sucking bastages to get their grubby mouths in--so I thought I would experiment with it this season. I'm not expecting a miracle cure or anything and I'm guessing it will take time before it starts doing anything. More than anything, I'm just curious to see if it is at least a semi-effective means of pest control or not.

Hi people, I'm new to THP. Great to see some fellow Perth folk on here.

And some Ex Perth people like me. :P

Yeah Gas i nuked them with white oil, it works well but its hard to get under the leaves so,,,i cut all the leaves off. :party:

haircut2.jpg

haircut1.jpg

Still got a lot of work ahead though, they are on the young plants as well, but at least of removed the main "farm"

Mezo.

Grow update for the upcoming season:

I think I've got over 130 seedlings now, with plans for another 40 or 50. Set up some cheapo stands in the 2.8m x 1.4m tent in the garage, and have a rotation policy of moving the plants around between the levels to get some even light distribution.

Here are the best performers so far, I think they are all Chinense

IMG_20120703_101013.jpg

The entire 3 stands

IMG_20120703_101022.jpg

I also decided to go buy some "Gobble Guts" aka Trumpet Pitcher Plants, to see if they can help alleviate any bugs in the tent. Seems like they love the new environment (20C and 80% humidity) as there are 4 new big Pitchers that have come up since repotting

IMG_20120703_094406.jpg

Simple answer is you cant, like on most forums.

Set yourself up a Photobucket account & download the app, take the pic & link it in your post.

Mezo.

Looking good everyone. I have some new babies sprouting at the mo. Been a dream to germinate them but a bunch are seed helmet heads and still waiting on fataliis and primos to pop. Milkman how are those jalapeno HTMs coming along???

I reckon i lost 50+ seedlings to helmet head this year, what i did find was starting them in Jiffy`s i lost only half as much.
I think the Jiffy`s keep the helmet moist & the friction of the peat helps drag the helmet off.

Mezo.

Yeah mine are always in jiffy's mezo. I think it is a combo of seed variations, moisture and planting depth .
They are all in the exact same conditions and all jiffys have 2 seeds in them. Even those in the same jiffy some have helmets some don't.
I am hoping the drops of water I put on them every day will soften them enough to save most of them

Yeah mine are always in jiffy's mezo. I think it is a combo of seed variations, moisture and planting depth .
They are all in the exact same conditions and all jiffys have 2 seeds in them. Even those in the same jiffy some have helmets some don't.
I am hoping the drops of water I put on them every day will soften them enough to save most of them

Yeah i tried the drips of water thing myself but it didn't work, but that was when it was real hot back in late summer & perhaps now (winter) it would work?

Mezo.

I had 43 plants germ out of 50. Planted in jiffy pots. Growing on a heat mat under a grow light. About 5 had helmet head. I found if you squeeze the helmet along the seem they just pull off. All 5 have bounced back. I have just transplanted my plants into larger pots as they are on there second set of true leaves. This is my first time growing chillies. I think I started them a bit too early but I just couldn't wait any longer!

I will post some photos when I figure out how.

http://s1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh554/lavatung/?action=view&current=fdb972a4.jpg

fdb972a4.jpg

Yay I figured it! Meet my babies, Douglah, Fatalii, Trinidad scorpion, Moruga scorpion, Birds eye, Bhut jolokia, capsicum & some random seeds from some dude. He called them ghost peppers but the germed heaps quicker than my bhuts so we'll have to wait and see what they are.

Looking good megamoo. When did you start yours?

Yay I figured it! Meet my babies, Douglah, Fatalii, Trinidad scorpion, Moruga scorpion, Birds eye, Bhut jolokia, capsicum & some random seeds from some dude. He called them ghost peppers but the germed heaps quicker than my bhuts so we'll have to wait and see what they are.

Looking good megamoo. When did you start yours?

I started them more than a month ago but I've been messing around with my lighting setup and I overfed them, AND the temps have been much colder inside than I have hoped so they are growing really slow but steady. With my ideal setup they'd be twice the size easily but I'm not worried. Just sowed another 27 varieties a few days ago :P

Is it white or transparent. Some types have varigated leaves. If you can't see any signs of bugs underneath the leaves its also possible that droplets of water have sat there on the leaves and the lights have caused a burn. It does look to me as some kind of bug problem.

edit: Do you have a fan on or near them? They need air circulation around the leaves.

They are transparent. I don't think it's bugs because the box is in my bedroom & I am real careful not to wet the leaves but... I don't have a fan. My light is just a propergation light so I didn't think it would get too hot. What if I opened the door a little to allow air flow. I have a small vent in the bottom of the box.

It is just the random "ghost peppers" that have these marks.

I reckon i lost 50+ seedlings to helmet head this year, what i did find was starting them in Jiffy`s i lost only half as much.
I think the Jiffy`s keep the helmet moist & the friction of the peat helps drag the helmet off.

Mezo.
Yeah, more chance of 'helmet head' in a potting or seed raising mix than jiffys or coir. In SRM the seedling can pop up between some wood chips and not lose the seed cap while theres more moisture and friction in jiffy peat or coir.
One of the reasons why I switched to coir, way less stuck seed caps them now.
You still get the odd one though, and in a jiffy or in a tray still have to play around with it and risk losing that seedling.
In coir and in a small individual pot, just wet the seed cap, cover that pot in gladwrap, secure with a rubber band and wait. If it's still there in two days, give it another spray. Gladwrap keeps the moisture in, without that, spraying has never worked for me, dries out too quick in the sun or lights.
If it's a jiffy I suppose you could put it in a clear tupperware container with lid?

edit: Looking good Mega, milkman and lavatung BTW

Back