• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
If nothing else though having a bit of a gap in your growing season with less plants can also give you a chance to break bug/disease cycles and generally clean up the garden. If you start plants in April (when I still had all my plants) you have to tend to them while your others are still producing and possibly pass on issues to them (if you have any).
Great if you have the space though.
Yeah, to be honest I don't need any more chilli plants, still got more than 10 surviving from last season.
If fact I started again in April because it was so easy, put seeds in pots on the window sill and forget, don't need to do anything.
I will see how they go over the winter left outside with again no attention. If they survive with a light water every 2 weeks that's the way to go here.

But germinating them was so easy, I was just more for an experiment. I doubt I'll take any full grown plants with me when I move, so was just experimenting how easy it would be to start again as I had heaps of problems last winter, and I was going to give most of what I have grown and what I was germinating away to friends/family anyway, as it would be too hard to move them long distance. (hopefully moving long distance as I hate Perth!)

But anyway, if the april seedling manage fine over winter outside, this experiment definitely proved that if they can survive mild winters, better to germinate before winter. Obviously better for people with really low winter temps to do it indoors and later than autumn. But my early ones are doing OK in an ebay cold frame box outside. Didn't need heat to germinate, never had a light on them. Sure they'd do better with a light on them and indoors, but my experiment was "In Perth, can you germinate without heat or light in late summer/early autumn, and keep them alive over winter"... I'm sure they'd be twice the size now if they were in a warm place with lights, but I just wanted to start them early and keep them alive costing nothing more than a $30 small greenhouse/cold frame box kept outdoors.

So far they are doing better than any winter seeds with heaters and lights for me,

South, trying for Mt Barker and working in Albany. Got to sell my block here first though.

Of course if I move there, there will be frosts and I will have to start later in winter and use heaters and lights...

Yep she`s cold down there in winter, mind you Esperance is closer & i like that place very much.

Id personally go only as far south as Bussleton/Dunsborourgh but that could be as i like my diving. :party:
And also because its protected slightly from them Antartic chills being in that little cove they have.

Bridgetown`s nice as well but Margret it totally overrated IMHO.

Mezo.

Yeah, but need a job, lots of business, so that limits it to close to bunbury or albany. Want somewhere ~30min away from either of those towns where I can get a 1500-2000sqm m block and house for around $200k.

Might go FiFo though in which case I can live anywhere, but the mrs...
So better not. Better get local work and be home every day. All I know is I got to get out of Perth, expensive, tiny blocks, high priced rents, crappy drivers and traffic etc.

Winter Scorps....

IMG_7668.jpg

So help me if I find maggots in 'em!

I can get my protein some place else, thank you very much. :P

Still haven't done anything along the lines of any kind of netting yet. Should probably look in to it but I'm guessing a lot of $$$ will be involved. (That being said, it will probably end up being much cheaper in the long run!)

F'in Bunnings... why do I even still bother? Went in for four things today... came out with bagel. (Yeah, Trips, no more Organic Link either). Asked some bloke while I was there about Debco products, and *apparently* they won't be stocking any of them anymore. (Nice bloke but I dunno though... he may or may not have been just someone who put on a Bunnings shirt and was hanging around the place.....)

Ridiculous. Never stepping foot in a Bunnings again.

Anyone know where to get peat moss? 'Cause screw it... I'm making my own SRM.

Make a deal with ya, Meez... you fork out the moolah for my plane ticket and I'll bring you back some for nuthin'! :D

You got two hopes there Gas, Bob Hope & no Hope. :P

I can confirm guys we gain an extra 60 seconds on the sunset tomorrow (5.01pm) and by Thursday we gain 120 seconds (5.02pm) roll on spring. :party:

Mezo.

You should be able to buy bales of it at any garden centre (I know bunnings have bags of it ;) )

Looks like we can get perlite and vermiculite and pumice all straight from ebay from ausperl now for cheap and 21 bucks shipping (total $39 for 100 litres shipped)!!

Interesting when you see the make up of the stuff.

Typical Chemical Analysis
Typical Physical Properties
Silica 74.0% Specific Gravity (g/ml) 0.055-0.30 g/ml
Aluminum Oxide 14.0% Colour Off white
Ferric Oxide 1.0% Fusion Point 1260 – 1340 C
Calcium Oxide 1.3 % Softening Point 871 – 1093 C
Magnesium Oxide 0.3%
Sodium Oxide 3.0%
Test Methods
Potassium Oxide 4.0% 1 Chemical by XRF
Titanium Oxide 0.1% 2 Moisture by drying 110 C for 1.5 hrs
Heavy metals Trace 3 Org. Content – weight of matter soluble in carbon tetrachloride
Sulphate Trace 4 Spec gravity by water immersion
Moisture 0.3% 5 PSD by dry sieve on BS410 sieves
Organic Content <0.1% 6 Loose bulk density by DIN 53194
Thermal Conductivity 0.0361@0 C

And what is 100 liters anyhow? how many Kg`s is that? its light as shit & pictures mean nothing.

Mezo.

Pfff... longer days mean nothing when it's been cloudy as hell here the last couple days! :P

Are you talking about those 5L bags for $7 or whatever ridiculous price Bunnings are charging, Trips? :lol: Even if I was gonna pay that price, wouldn't help... just another item they didn't have in stock today. ;)

Damn good price on the perlite, vermiculite and pumice though (even including the shipping)!

EDIT:

(Meez, next time you are around a Bunnings, have a look at what they charge for a measly 10L or something of perlite ;))

(Meez, next time you are around a Bunnings, have a look at what they charge for a measly 10L or something of perlite ;))

Whats a Bunnings? :P

Ive not stepped foot in one for over a year Gas, they don't have them in the country, ive not seen television for over a year either & don't miss the shit.

Mezo.

Interesting when you see the make up of the stuff.

Typical Chemical Analysis
Typical Physical Properties
Silica 74.0% Specific Gravity (g/ml) 0.055-0.30 g/ml
Aluminum Oxide 14.0% Colour Off white
Ferric Oxide 1.0% Fusion Point 1260 &ndash; 1340 C
Calcium Oxide 1.3 % Softening Point 871 &ndash; 1093 C
Magnesium Oxide 0.3%
Sodium Oxide 3.0%
Test Methods
Potassium Oxide 4.0% 1 Chemical by XRF
Titanium Oxide 0.1% 2 Moisture by drying 110 C for 1.5 hrs
Heavy metals Trace 3 Org. Content &ndash; weight of matter soluble in carbon tetrachloride
Sulphate Trace 4 Spec gravity by water immersion
Moisture 0.3% 5 PSD by dry sieve on BS410 sieves
Organic Content <0.1% 6 Loose bulk density by DIN 53194
Thermal Conductivity 0.0361@0 C

And what is 100 liters anyhow? how many Kg`s is that? its light as shit & pictures mean nothing.

Mezo.

idea of the Size of a 100litre Bag

F'in Mezo.... :rofl:

Hey, talking about toms before, you guys heard of this one: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/purple-tomato-debuts-%E2%80%98indigo-rose%E2%80%99

My first thought was GMO.... but apparently not so!

Might try and track down some seeds.............

my experiment was "In Perth, can you germinate without heat or light in late summer/early autumn, and keep them alive over winter"... I'm sure they'd be twice the size now if they were in a warm place with lights, but I just wanted to start them early and keep them alive costing nothing more than a $30 small greenhouse/cold frame box kept outdoors.

So far they are doing better than any winter seeds with heaters and lights for me,

Yeah, you definitely can. I did this last year with about 10 Habs. Planted/germinated in Autumn, overwintered them in a greenhouse without anything more than just closing it up overnight and they were great the following season.

Back