• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Not good to hear Mate. Looks like you are getting on top of it now though.
I'm ruled by my stomach and the bastage demands good food. So ever since I moved outa home I learnt to cook.
Definately takes time though and I know where you are coming from sometimes you just can't be bothered.
Nothing better than sitting down to a nice Rib Eye , some home grown toms and a Chilli or two :drooling:

The Boats coming along, I won't put a time on it as it always seems to bite me in the bum! Will be all worth it when I can go out for a fish.

Sux with the Beer though they need to invent a Beer that's good for you. man would they make a killing!

Micca

I think I have an Asian Birdseye x Capsicum growing. It definitely has the Asian Birdseye growing habits, but it's thicker and the bottom of the pod has that capsicum style ridges. Seeds are at the top of the placenta only and not along the entire pod like a typical Birdseye. Wife took a bite, its certainly got some Asian Birdseye heat but it has that thick and juicy pod texture of a Capsicum.

Thoughts?

2015%2520-%25201.jpg

dHWZ9ti.jpg

Since I don't do 'glogs' I'll spam some of my photos in here.

NFI what this is, I bought some Reaper seeds from chillico.com.au last year and this is how one of them turned out. Pod shape is all over the place on this plant, some look like choc. habs, some look like Choc Morugas and some like Scorpions. It's not a superhot, heat is similar to a Fatalii but the flavour is really nice:
rAMUxFV.jpg

Biker Billy Jalapenos starting to get some 'corking':
CcOnvs3.jpg

Peach Bhuts just about to ripen:
jYxixl9.jpg

Yellow 7 Pot, I've had about 6 or so ripe ones so far:
r3G9o4q.jpg

Naga Bhut:
8WduaO4.jpg

Aphid guarding one of my White Bhuts :liar: The little guy went to 'Aphid Heaven' about 2 seconds after I took this photo:
3YbIKOE.jpg

I don't get a lot of sunlight in my yard so my plants take their time to get going and pod up.
Still waiting to get pods on my Choc. Hab, Butch T, Yaki Blue, Moruga, Reapers, Yellow Moruga, Choc. Bhut and Brainstrains. At least the all look pretty healthy though!

How is everyone else doing?

nuclearDays said:
dHWZ9ti.jpg

Since I don't do 'glogs' I'll spam some of my photos in here.

NFI what this is, I bought some Reaper seeds from chillico.com.au last year and this is how one of them turned out. Pod shape is all over the place on this plant, some look like choc. habs, some look like Choc Morugas and some like Scorpions. It's not a superhot, heat is similar to a Fatalii but the flavour is really nice:
rAMUxFV.jpg

That's a ripper of a pod mate! Looks awesome. Just need to cross it with something bumpy to make it even more wicked :D

I'm behind you on ripening pods. My overwinter NOT Scorpion is delivering pods at about 8-10 per week at the moment.

Biker Billy Jalapeño is at about the same stage as yours - starting to cork.

Aphid squashing has become a daily thing for me lately too  :mad:  I had a couple of smaller seedling pots lined with the dead on the rim the other day. I was getting close to grabbing some toothpicks and setting up pikes with them on it, but I couldn't be bothered going full medieval.  :D

Looking great there Nuclear.
Unfortunately mine have been pretty neglected this season. I brought a secondhand boat and been spending all my time doing it up for the water so Chilli's have taken a hit.
Looking forward to Autumn that's when I usually get lot's of poddage.

Micca

Shurbryn said:

I had a couple of smaller seedling pots lined with the dead on the rim the other day. I was getting close to grabbing some toothpicks and setting up pikes with them on it, but I couldn't be bothered going full medieval.  :D

Haha ... DO IT!!!
Man, now I have this image of aphid heads stuck on spikes, Ned Stark style :P

Micca302 said:

Unfortunately mine have been pretty neglected this season. I brought a secondhand boat and been spending all my time doing it up for the water so Chilli's have taken a hit.
Looking forward to Autumn that's when I usually get lot's of poddage.

Micca

Pfft ;)  Jeez m8, how much time are you spending on the boat reno? Are you renovating the gawd damn Titanic or something!
But seriously, good luck with it, sounds awesome!

Hahaha the neighbours did call it the Queen Mary!
Has taken quite a while because I don't know what I'm doing hahaha
I had a guy lined up to do sanding back, bogging and painting but he did a runner on me so I decided to do it myself.
Never painted before and run into all sorts of trouble with runs etc. Youtube has been getting a hammering from me trying to learn how to set up a spray gun to paint 2-pack paint.
If you don't put enough on it won't come out the "wet look" and looks crap but too much you get runs specially on the vertical surfaces. I think I am the overspray king too Hahaha.
All a learning curve, I think I should stick to growing Chilli though  :P
Getting there now and have taken the old crappy outboards off and have put on some real nice second hand ones.

Micca

Great looking pods, Shurb!

I'm guessing with that really light green colour its a peach something or other?
Sort of looks Bhut-ish in the top piccy but the 2nd one doesn't look like a Bhut!

Looking great there Mate. Definitely save seeds you can get some wicked shapes from this one.
Mine too threw lots of different shapes but all looked cool.
Wait until they ripen should love the taste and heat if you love Chinenses.
It's a Peach Ghost Scorp Nuke.

Micca

Nice looking haul, Aussie!  The Bahamian Goat is a great chilli, and one of my favorites.  Looks like your plants are putting out plenty of pods for you this year.

You bastages and all your plants and pods.... :snooty: haha

I got dick all growing ATM. I just can't be bothered battling against the summer here anymore. And it's always gonna win anyway haha. I'm so hanging for autumn. :D

Got some bits and pieces (pics) from back in Spring or whatever that I'll try and post later, but yeah, right now... dick. all. :(

Fantastic haul there Aussie, nice to see someone getting some Harvests :cool:

Plants looking nice and healthy there Milkman, once they start podding it will be a sea of colour.

Micca

Thanks ivplay, nuclearDays, Shurbryn and Micca!

Check out the capsaicin testing results on the peppers pictured above in the following thread:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53217-capasaicin-analysis-bahamian-goat-yellow-bhut-and-chocolate-bhut/

Pretty much what we expected from the taste test. The choc bhut is brutally hot. The tests were done on sizeable batches of dried pods, so represent the average. Our taste experience is that BG and choc bhut peppers have consistent heat levels, but the yellow bhut varies more from pepper to pepper. 

Awesome work with the testing, Aussie. :dance:

Hopefully one day, there will be a breakdown on how the different capsaicinoids effect the 'heat profile' of peppers ie: pure heat vs sting, duration of burn, immediacy of burn etc.

Aussie said:
Thanks ivplay, nuclearDays, Shurbryn and Micca!

Check out the capsaicin testing results on the peppers pictured above in the following thread:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53217-capasaicin-analysis-bahamian-goat-yellow-bhut-and-chocolate-bhut/

Pretty much what we expected from the taste test. The choc bhut is brutally hot. The tests were done on sizeable batches of dried pods, so represent the average. Our taste experience is that BG and choc bhut peppers have consistent heat levels, but the yellow bhut varies more from pepper to pepper. 

Nice going there Aussie. Great to have access to the equipment to test instead of killing ourselves like I do taste testing them.
Us seasoned growers have always said that on average the Chocolates have more consistent heat levels. That's why I have always said the Douglah is underrated and to me the average heat would be higher than the average heat on some of the record breakers.
It is BRUTAL.
Nice work

Micca

Back