• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
JBMSC.jpg

Leave comparison of 5 young plants

I took a photo including a number of seedlings in the same shot.

Top: Aji Cristal
Middle: Limón, White Bhut
Bottom: Limo Blanco, Scotch Bonnet TFM

The young Limón plants in the photo very closely resemble the other two young Limón plants grown from another seed source. The leaves are showing signs of Calcium hunger but are not heart shaped as some of the other C. Chinense plants. I included them in this comparison as they are a Peruvian variety just as the Limo Blanco.

I transplanted the Limo Blanco and the Scotch Bonnet TFM plants to 18 cm pots yesterday. The root system of the Limo Blanco plant was extensive. They circled the bottom of the 10 cm pot instead of poking through the drain holes.

JBMSC.jpg

Leave comparison of 5 young plants

I took a photo including a number of seedlings in the same shot.

Top: Aji Cristal
Middle: Limón, White Bhut
Bottom: Limo Blanco, Scotch Bonnet TFM

The young Limón plants in the photo very closely resemble the other two young Limón plants grown from another seed source. The leaves are showing signs of Calcium hunger but are not heart shaped as some of the other C. Chinense plants. I included them in this comparison as they are a Peruvian variety just as the Limo Blanco.
Nice lookin' little planties there, harry. :cool:

I transplanted the Limo Blanco and the Scotch Bonnet TFM plants to 18 cm pots yesterday. The root system of the Limo Blanco plant was extensive. They circled the bottom of the 10 cm pot instead of poking through the drain holes.
All my plants seem to do that unless I have them sitting on some earth--in which case they have no problems finding the holes. Smart little cookies... :lol:

Noticed something strange in some of my pots today and upon closer inspection...

IMG_6467.jpg

Fungus gnat larvae! :eek:

Quite and odd discovery though as I haven't seen too many of the little bastards flying around lately. (I always seem to get heaps at the start of Spring but they mysteriously vanish by the time Summer comes.)

Then I noticed something else in my pots...

IMG_6459.jpg

Hypoaspis miles mites! :D

It would certainly explain a lot......

Trippa- I'm starting to think that because starting early caused so many problems, especially fungal that perhaps starting late in the season and overwintering is not such a bad idea. Considering I only got about 1/5 planted and germinated I may just keep going when I have spare time.

Gas- hey those Jalamundos are doing good thanks. Will have to pot up soon.

Where the hell is everyone? THP is dead tonight. :(

Was just looking at some old photos of my first season and seeing as I'm bored as all hell, I'm gonna share with you all the horror story that was.

This is when I decided I needed a grow light: :lol:

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

First incidence of broad mite attack... not that I knew what it was at the time!

BhutJolokia.jpg

Damn possums!

IMG_1161.jpg

ExplosiveEmber.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

Never did figure this one out...

IMG_1091.jpg

The good guys (Hypoaspis predatory mites) which I ended up killing thinking they were baddies... :shocked:

IMG_0417.jpg

Very sickly lookin' Hab pods:

IMG_0952.jpg

(In the plants defense though, it *was* recovering from possum attack)

Planted about 1000 seeds from some dried pods I got from an Indian grocer and finally got one to grow:
Guntur.jpg

...And would you believe I still have the plant? I have overwintered it twice now and have yet to see one single pod! The bloody thing hardly grows but I am not giving up on it until I see a pod dammit!
IMG_6482.jpg

My first seed start--the necessities:
IMG_1177-2.jpg

awww takes me back - to last year when I started :P It seems like such a long time tho!
This is my first full season and I won't be happy with less than too many pods to fit in the freezer.

On another note one of my bokashi tubs is full of juice and I will be spraying my plants with it tomorrow. It was really sunny today and I have to water my buckets. That should do them until friday when the forecast is for rain.

I got my first ever purple flower on a Hungarian Black plant and some other wild winter starts have pods on them.
My over wintered Barrackpore that i thought was cactus actually came to life throwing two leaves about two inches long out in about three days!

Mr over wintered butchy is looking good too as he comes back for round three. Other plants are doing slow because of nute lockout issues but will come good with time i think, weather has just changed to nice chilli growin weather. Woot!

Gas those seedlings were so leggy ! :lol:
I hope in the next week to start putting some photos up. I have had to write up a daily planner though so I can start getting some stuff done so am trying not to spend as much time on the internet. Bloody FB, emails and THP take up too much of time so trying to cut down.

Yesterday was a nice day so I decided to clean up another garden bed.My back is very burnt from being out there :( :onfire: . Weeded it and added dynamic lifter and blood and bone and turned the soil. Will water it in this week and allow it to start breaking down and releasing nutrients and then will hopefully plant on the weekend since it is going to be cooler and cloudy/raining.

Well Here is my latest updates. Apart from a couple of set backs I have been going ok so far although luckily I have been home to save them a couple of times from rogue winds/storms.

Still have Douglah/Fatalli/RHF-1/Bulgarian Carrot/Birdseye HTM/another trinidad scorpion and Purple flash to hopefully add to my collection if I can get them to germinate this time (Fingers crossed :pray:)

IMG_20111101_173732.jpg

Whole family (minus a few hopeful new arrivals)

IMG_20111101_174212.jpg

Older Family (soon to be repotted to twice as big containers)

IMG_20111101_174200.jpg

Middle Size Family (Just repotted)

IMG_20111101_174149.jpg

Young family (Some now need to be repotted)

Some more specific ones

IMG_20111101_174039.jpg

Explosive Ember

IMG_20111101_173943.jpg

Terrible photo of my first bonda ma Jacques pods

IMG_20111101_173907.jpg

One of my Yellow 7 pot/pod podsRogue Bishops Crown

IMG_20111101_173742.jpg

Super Chilli and Numex Twilight

IMG_20111101_174046.jpg

Black Prince

IMG_20111101_174224.jpg

Numex Twilight pods

IMG_20111101_174235.jpg

Aji Lemon pods

Some of them are looking pretty average really but I am hoping a re-pot of them will give them another boost in terms of vigour again.

Boobies... heeheehee

Nice baccatum flowers/buds on your chinense Yellow 7 Pod plant... are you sure it's not your Bishops Crown? :P

Going off, man! Everything looks great! :onfire:

Hmmm well you do raise an interesting point although it was definitely from a THSC seed pack of Yellow 7pot/pod (I didn't get my Bishop crown seeds until well after these were up and growing so unless a rogue seed was in the bag it by all intents and purposes should be a Yellow 7 pot/pod)
But I do have another plant of the yellow 7pot/pod (From the same seeds) and it is completely different shape/growth habit (you can see it to the right/left of the tall yellow 7 pot depending on what photo you are looking at on the tray with the other 3 smaller plants and it is the bigger one)
The flowers look the same as the Bonda Ma Jacques to me so it should/could still be a chinense.

Now you have me concerned , but the only way it isn't is if the seed was a a rogue or crossed one from the pack as it hasn't been miss-labeled of that I am sure.

Back