• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
If there were no tag, with hybrid stamped across the top of it , what physical indicators would the plant display, to show it was hybridized? What is it that you look for?

I was looking to see the calyx of the pods for signs that the hybrid was improved via crossing with a Capsicum Annuum variety. The biggest hint though if the tag didn't specify that it was a hybrid is the pod shape being wrong.

I found their web site where they have stated that they're Coming To The Web Soon since 4 November 2010.

Can someone advice me on this. My previous seedlings were all healthy and happy but these new seedling aren't very. The leaves seem to be yellow in colour and the stems very thin. Each plant seems to only have 2-4 leaves. These are my super hot lot. Scorpion, red bhut, choc bhut, butch t etc. Any ideas ?

IMG_2983.jpg

Can someone advice me on this. My previous seedlings were all healthy and happy but these new seedling aren't very. The leaves seem to be yellow in colour and the stems very thin. Each plant seems to only have 2-4 leaves. These are my super hot lot. Scorpion, red bhut, choc bhut, butch t etc. Any ideas ?

Have you changed much from your first lot? (ie., soil mix, light exposure, etc)

Are you feeding them? Yellowing means they aren't getting the nutrients - for whatever reason - pH, overwatering, too many or not enough nutes or wrong balance.
If the previous ones were fine then something has changed with this batch and they don't like it.

Those seedlings look a little like mine when I leave them in their jiffy pellets for a little too long.
My guess on what is wrong is they are lacking some nitrogen/nutrients or the soil may be a little too wet for them or both.

I would get them out of the cups into a more aerated mix and give them a 1/4-1/2 strength feed of some fish ferts (NPK of 2:1:1 or similar) and get them into a little more light with some good airflow.

See if that helps

Those seedlings look a little like mine when I leave them in their jiffy pellets for a little too long.
My guess on what is wrong is they are lacking some nitrogen/nutrients or the soil may be a little too wet for them or both.

I would get them out of the cups into a more aerated mix and give them a 1/4-1/2 strength feed of some fish ferts (NPK of 2:1:1 or similar) and get them into a little more light with some good airflow.

See if that helps

I follow your suggestion. Any idea what fertiliser to use though. I have been using seasol but these seedling haven't had any yet.

I haven't been feeding them anything. I do probably need more air circulation..

I follow your suggestion. Any idea what fertiliser to use though. I have been using seasol but these seedling haven't had any yet.

I haven't been feeding them anything. I do probably need more air circulation..

Seasol has hardly any nitrogen or phosphorus in it, and by comparison a good deal of potassium and natural growth promoters and micro nutirents.
While this will help young seedlings produce greater root mass initially and help with transplant shock and plant stress in general it will not be a sufficient source of food once the plants start producing more foliage.

My advice would be to get a nice gentle organic liquid fish fertiliser (Ie NPK of 2 to 3:1:1 or something similar) as this will not likely burn the young plants roots especially at 1/2 strength but will give them a nice fast boost of growth at the same time with plenty of calcium (trucker/cargo mineral) to help the plants uptake the goodness.

I use this as my first liquid fert usually (not the granules the liquid)

ecofish
and
ecofish analysis

It has plenty of calcium (more then potassium and phosphorus) and a good amount of Nitrogen which is immediately available to the plants, but won't burn them at half strength.
Its available at bunnings and is cheap which is an added bonus.

IMG_2983.jpg

I agree with all of the above, the potting mix doesn't look much chop either - looks like woodchips.
Get some premium potting mix, the best stuff is at your local landscape supplies centre.

I feed at that stage with the likes of powerfeed - high Nitrogen - If you stick with the liquid ferts it is hard to burn unless you go over the directions.

I think jungle rains on the mark, cooler weather less water needed and not enough sunlight :)

Superhots are slow growers, keep that in mind when comparing to prior seedlings.

Hope they work out for you :)

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will definitely get the fert. The potting mix i got was labelled premium potting mix at the supplier. I think it's also been the rainy weather and all. The temps been going up and down like anything.

I use seed raising mix in my cups first (more sand than wooodchip) then once they are healthy in to bigger pots with 'potting mix"

I also fill my cups to the brim not half way.

Mezo.

I'm updating the list to add the Habanero Peach, one Locato and the Floriana Jalapeño:
  1. Brazilian Starfish NOT 2010-2011 (probably a hybrid)
  2. Brazilian Starfish NOT 2011-2012 (probably a hybrid)
  3. Fatalii NOT (Orange Hab)
  4. Floriana Jalapeño Fireless Eater
  5. Fluorescent Purple NOT
  6. Habanero Peach NOT (mild to heatless)
  7. Habanero Red NOT (was meant to be Choc. Brown)
  8. Habanero Yellow NOT (pointy Orange Hab)
  9. Jalapeño NOT Mild
  10. Limo Blanco NOT (dominant Annuum features)
  11. Locato NOT (larger bottlenecked pods)
  12. Pequin NOT (mislabelled Tepin)
  13. Rainbow Thai NOT (likely NuMex cultivar)
  14. Scarlet Lantern NOT (dominant Annuum features)
  15. Scotch Bonnet NOT (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom)
  16. Seven Pod Red NOT
  17. Tepin NOT (mongrel hybrid)
  18. Trinidad Scorpion NOT (at least 1 of 3)

The White Bhut NOT now brings me up to 19:
  9. Jalapeño NOT Mild
  16. Seven Pod Red NOT
  19. White Bhut NOT (pods never white; mongrel flavour)

The pods on the first plant have never been white or anything near white. I ate half of a small pod after dinner to find it a very similar flavour to the other mongrel Chinense x Annuum pods. I'm not fond of any C. Chinense pod that tastes like Annuum.

Seasol has hardly any nitrogen or phosphorus in it, and by comparison a good deal of potassium and natural growth promoters and micro nutirents.
While this will help young seedlings produce greater root mass initially and help with transplant shock and plant stress in general it will not be a sufficient source of food once the plants start producing more foliage.

My advice would be to get a nice gentle organic liquid fish fertiliser (Ie NPK of 2 to 3:1:1 or something similar) as this will not likely burn the young plants roots especially at 1/2 strength but will give them a nice fast boost of growth at the same time with plenty of calcium (trucker/cargo mineral) to help the plants uptake the goodness.

I use this as my first liquid fert usually (not the granules the liquid)

ecofish
and
ecofish analysis

It has plenty of calcium (more then potassium and phosphorus) and a good amount of Nitrogen which is immediately available to the plants, but won't burn them at half strength.
Its available at bunnings and is cheap which is an added bonus.
mercury is a bit scary even though its a trace element..

9. Jalapeño NOT Mild
  16. Seven Pod Red NOT

The pods on the first plant have never been white or anything near white. I ate half of a small pod after dinner to find it a very similar flavour to the other mongrel Chinense x Annuum pods. I'm not fond of any C. Chinense pod that tastes like Annuum.

Wow!
I have a few NOTS too (as far as I can tell from my slim pickings) - But that! That's heavy! ^^

9. Jalapeño NOT Mild
  16. Seven Pod Red NOT

And then people wonder why we get so upset over one plant not coming true, well when you get lists like this ( i always get a few but not as many as this!) it explains why you get a bit angry. What a waste of time, space and money! I hope your next season is better Harry

If you eat fish/seafood you eat mercury simple as that and the older and bigger the fish the more mercury you ingest.

So it is not unusual to have trace heavy metals in seaweed and fish derived fertilisers at all. The main thing for me is it's itemised so you know its been tested for and they are being transparent.

Something to think about if you have eaten an apple pip in your life you have injested a trace amount of a compound which converts to cynide in your body.

im not into the cheap ferts with mercury... strange.

This is my grow list updated..
Scotch Bonnet
Aji Limon
Dorset Naga
Prik Nee Noo
Trinidad Scorpian
Trinidad 7 Pot
Cayenne Rough
Habanero Orange
Birdseye
Long Dragon
Fiesta
Bell
Inferno
Fatalii
Firecracker
Anaheim
Jalapeno
Tabasco
Chocolate Habanero
Cayenne Smooth
Aurora
Vietnamese
Big Jim
Bhut Jolokia
Fire
Habanero Red
Naga Morich
Siam

Beef Jerky - from a beef jerky packet - not sure as yet
Big Red - my own description
Red Heart? woolworths chilli heart/ball shaped

I may have over capitlised on the Bhut Jolokia and Orange habs..

IMG_0530Medium.jpg

IMG_0529Medium.jpg

It's only 0.04 parts per million. There are scarier things to worry about. I concur with Raelacea that this fertiliser manufacturer that this just shows the manufacturer has put their product through a process of analysis. There are other products that do not have a complete analysis available.

Wow!
I have a few NOTS too (as far as I can tell from my slim pickings) - But that! That's heavy! ^^
And then people wonder why we get so upset over one plant not coming true, well when you get lists like this ( i always get a few but not as many as this!) it explains why you get a bit angry. What a waste of time, space and money! I hope your next season is better Harry

This many Nots has left me a bit jaded. 50% of the varieties I purchased from one vendor have resulted in Nots.

There's still some potential to hit 20 and beyond. I have some plants that have yet to yield fruit. With my luck my one remaining hope at having a true Seven Pot will turn out a Not.

Back