• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I have so many they have started coming inside the house.

Hmmm, protein.

HomerMmmm.jpg

Mezo.

Early in the season I had a fungus gnat infestation on my seedlings that were under lights inside. I tried the sticky paper and it caught lots of adults but they had already left their larva on the soil top so they never were gone. I eventually washed the roots clean with a spray bottle of water and weak hydrogen peroxide solution and then repotted them into new soil. I also sprayed pyrethrins around the lights and the shelf. This killed off the adults and the larva, but after a long while they slowly started coming back. I hung up the sticky traps and sprayed the soil with the hydrogen peroxide stuff again and this kept them gone til the plants were potted up and went outside.

Of course it's easy to rinse the roots when they are small and in plastic cups and you don't have too many. I don't know if this is an option for you guys.

You have to spray the soil because the gnats feed on fungus on the soil, and lay their eggs or larva in it. The sticky traps aren't enough. Got to kill them and their food source and their baby nursery.

hi all

just a few quick questions.. i live in nsw wollongong and have got a few of my chilli plants in pots as they are finally big enough to go outside.. the problem is its my first time growing and im not sure if there ok outside all seasons in australia ? also im growing them in coir as i find it holds moisture way better then the other soils i have tested.

below is a video of the largest plants i have outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNq9JD3U4K8

so here are my questions

1. do my plants look ok ?

2. will they be fine outside all seasons ?

3. is coir soil ok to use for plants of this size ?

hi all

just a few quick questions.. i live in nsw wollongong and have got a few of my chilli plants in pots as they are finally big enough to go outside.. the problem is its my first time growing and im not sure if there ok outside all seasons in australia ? also im growing them in coir as i find it holds moisture way better then the other soils i have tested.

so here are my questions

Your plants fine & Dandy.

Looking at your average temps id say you are borderline chilli growing, do you get frosts?

Cant help you with soil, sorry.

Mezo.

Best person to answer this would probably be Nova as he is closer to Sydney then most people on here.

I would say they will be fine (as they will be fairly well established by the time winter rolls around) and I wouldn't think it would get that cold down that way would it?? Growth might slow right up and I doubt you will get any pods setting but it will get a head start for next spring/summer

Best person to answer this would probably be Nova as he is closer to Sydney then most people on here.

I would say they will be fine (as they will be fairly well established by the time winter rolls around) and I wouldn't think it would get that cold down that way would it?? Growth might slow right up and I doubt you will get any pods setting but it will get a head start for next spring/summer

Well if frisky is taking the risky down there Trips i feel much more happier now.

But yeah like you say, old man Nova is the man to ask.

Mezo.

Mezo,

Try to keep the plants out of the direct weather in the winter period, say under a veranda or awning. I'm guessing you'd be a good bit cooler down at Wollongong than here and I have problems with really cold periods of the year.

Hab seem to die in winter around here Central Coast, superhots seem to just make it in the open if your lucky. My superhots just pull through the last of winter each year.

100% Coir will be a very wet medium, don't over water as it will hold moisture for a very long time if you do and the plants will die. I would normally use maybe 30% coir at the most. If you already used it just be careful and repot later on after summers gone and they have had a chance to get bigger/stronger.

:)

hi all

so here are my questions

Terracotta pots are better to grow chillies in during the cooler and wetter months if they are unsealed. If they are going to get wet a lot (overwatering or rain), coir is bad, it holds moisture, and you don't want that, you want drainage. The porous terracotta helps, but I'd go heavy on well draining mixes (wood chippy types or adding a lot of perlite to regular potting soil), if they were going to be out cooler weather or in the rain. I only use 10% coir in the summer to hold moisture, wouldn't use it at all in autumn or cooler times.

Normally it is best to start your seedlings at the start of spring or end of winter, some people start earlier indoors under lights to try maximise their season. If you get frost this winter it may kill your plants. So you may need to move them inside if thats the case, or use a green house, havn't used one before so I have no idea whats good. Overwatering can be a major issue for chilli plants especially when their still small.

Chilliover has got himself a nice little greenhouse, ask him where he got it & how much he paid for it?
he`s got some nice little shelving in there as well.

Mezo.

Thanks for the referral Mezo.

Greenhouse link. I actually think the quality is good for the amount paid. Their price has gone upto $67 but if you pay via paypal then you get 20% off using ppmar2012 . Postage is around $11.

http://www.crazysales.com.au/large-apex-roof-greenhouse-3m-xj-1022.html

Another option (if you have the space) is a wedding Marquee like what ive got, im using the big 9m x 3m here.
They are not airtight but that's not a bad thing as it allows for breathing, but they are always white & it provides
a built in sun screen/diffused light & they are so cheap now ($128) so that's a lot of bang for your bucks & real estate.

If you racked it out properly you could have tens of thousands of seedling on the grow. :D

Mezo.

thanks all for the amazing help :)

Thanks for the referral Mezo.

Greenhouse link. I actually think the quality is good for the amount paid. Their price has gone upto $67 but if you pay via paypal then you get 20% off using ppmar2012 . Postage is around $11.

http://www.crazysale...3m-xj-1022.html
looks perfect i think ill buy one of those and change my coir to soil and try keep them out of the weather as much as possible and cut back a bit on watering from what you guys have shown me here.

once again cant thank you guys enough for all your helpful tips

Anyone tell me what these are? my mate just turned up with them, he got them from Wooly`s & said they are called "Chilli Balls"

chilliballs.jpg

Cheers,

Mezo.

I don't know what they are called, we have them in our woolies too but i have never bought any. I have a sneaking suspicion that they would be killer filled with cheese and roasted in the oven, or if you are JayT the microwave..

Oh yeah you would probably find that they are a hybrid too.

I don't know what they are called, we have them in our woolies too but i have never bought any. I have a sneaking suspicion that they would be killer filled with cheese and roasted in the oven, or if you are JayT the microwave..

Oh yeah you would probably find that they are a hybrid too.

I thought the same especially the red one, its huge & heavy but just wondered if they had a real name.

Im going to cut it open, keep the seeds, taste it, and grow my own if they are any good. Then if they are any good ill re-name them "Mezo`s big red sore balls" :D

Or its Latin name would be "Mezo`s magnus rutilus vomica ballius"

Mezo.

Back