• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wiringpeople - lend me your smarts

No that wasnt a typo, I did mean wiringpeople. Im looking for confirmation on how to wire up 1, 2, or 3 lights for my grow, using a normal house light socket with a CFL, and an extension cord for cable. I know live goes one way, neutral for return, what Im really wondering about is how to join the socket to the cable while keeping it neat. Heat shrink? Tape?

Heat shrink if you can find it in the right size is always better than electrical tape IMO.

As far as wiring, what exactly are you wiring up? Are you cutting the extension cord and connecting the wires to a socket?

The plan is to chop up an extension cord, as it is going to be plugged into a normal wall timer, and it is definitely going to be done for cheapness. I saw a really good diagram on a dope site a while ago, but now I cant find the damn thing.

series or parallel?

Don't chop up an extension cord unless it is heavy duty. You can buy 12/2 wiring (with a ground) for about $6 for 20 feet. Cut the wire the distance you want each light to be from the other one.

I believe in saving every cent possible but I also know wiring fires are very common.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Don't chop up an extension cord unless it is heavy duty. You can buy 12/2 wiring (with a ground) for about $6 for 20 feet. Cut the wire the distance you want each light to be from the other one.

I believe in saving every cent possible but I also know wiring fires are very common.

Mike

I agree Mike. Then it is like a buck for a 3 prong grounded plug.

McGoo said:
what Im really wondering about is how to join the socket to the cable while keeping it neat. Heat shrink? Tape?

Use 3 metal or plastic juntion boxes. They are what you mount your lights, wall receptacles, etc. to. They are your safest bet. The wire gets clamped where it enters the box and then you use a wire nut to attach the two, three, etc. I believe it is called pig tailing.

Josh, you an electrician?

Just asking cause you always seem to give good advice about this type of stuff.

Txclosetgrower said:
Josh, you an electrician?

Just asking cause you always seem to give good advice about this type of stuff.

Nope...I guess I should really always attach a warning stating that. But anyway, I spent the summers through part of high school and all of college working with my dad who is a maintenance man. I picked some things along the way. I guess I should really leave the answering of electrical questions to Nova. I believe he is an electrician.

Josh said:
Nope...I guess I should really always attach a warning stating that. But anyway, I spent the summers through part of high school and all of college working with my dad who is a maintenance man. I picked some things along the way. I guess I should really leave the answering of electrical questions to Nova. I believe he is an electrician.

Thats cool man. I work with electronics, but I don't really mess with house wiring.

Also, I dont think Nova's advice would apply here, their electricity flows backwards. :lol:

I'm not an electrician either, though I have wired parts or all of four houses, replaced a fuse box with a breaker box, run 220 volt outlets - it's all about paying attention and doing a clean job.

Mike

My way of electrical work is usually Instructables or wait to see if my hair stands up, if yes, i know it's a hot wire.

I say just use a power strip and hide wires with duct tape. heh

**Not an electrician**

Wiring in series may be a problem in so much as if 1 bulb blows, the whole string may fail (dunno about CFL's tho'), like xmas lights. Also, resistance across bulbs theoretically will increase.

Parallel would be the way to go. Any metal fixtures used should be earthed for your safety.

I disagree about not going serial. Only if the fixture breaks (very, very unlikely) would more than one bulb go out.

YMMV, though!

Mike

N.E.C. or, the national electric code says to run in paralel. Wire all the black wires to the gold screws and all the whites to the silver screws.

Im thinking parallel so that the voltage is the same across all the lights, and also so they are redundant. Not that I would expect them to blow, they should be good for quite some time.

ring sting said:
**Not an electrician**

Wiring in series may be a problem in so much as if 1 bulb blows, the whole string may fail (dunno about CFL's tho'), like xmas lights. Also, resistance across bulbs theoretically will increase.

Parallel would be the way to go. Any metal fixtures used should be earthed for your safety.

I am not sure of the terminology but what I meant was send the set of wires into the first junction box. Wire nut the corresponding wires to the wires for the lights as well as to another set of wires going out that box to the next box. Then do that again with the following box to the third.

fineexampl said:
My way of electrical work is usually Instructables or wait to see if my hair stands up, if yes, i know it's a hot wire.

Yea my cousin usually just slaps at the wire to check. One time I was helping do some wiring in his house and I asked if a set of wires was live because I wanted to strip back the insulation to prep. them. His response was "yea I am pretty sure." Well, I wanted to cut an inch or so off the end to start fresh. For those of you that don't know, when you cross the black and white wires you not only trip the breaker they are tied into but also throw a shower of sparks. Luckily the dikes I was using were insulated and I didn't have my hand on the metal parts. The cutting edge had a nice melted cirle in it. Lets just say I double check the wires with a test when I work with him now.

Josh,

You're no fun! Try working (intentionally) with live wires. Out of necessity, I've done it a few times. Let me tell you - you pay attention to every detail (and usually end up with a tension headache).

I remember what some vet told me - it's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps.

Mike

Back