• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Wonder Where That Pepper Joe Went?

Hi all,

First post, but since I am new to the growing from seeds side of things, and most of those seeds are from Pepper Joe, I was wondering just how inaccurate (from personal experience) his sales are?

Am I likely to get one or two breeds that are incorrect, or only one or two that ARE correct?

I have used his seeds during two seasons and everything grew true except some scotch bonnets that turned out to be orange habs. Fairly certain he does not isolate his plants for pure seeds so it's very possible to get some crosses. I think in general the two main knocks against Joe are his creative naming and prices that are the expensive side.

Hi to everyone and THANKS to 'Pepper Lover'.
I'm thrilled to be back with TheHOtPepper forum.
Sorry to hear about some of these issues. Some are accurate, some are not.
Pauly....I think you will definitely be satisfied with my product...and if I'm wrong I promise to satisfy any problems that you may have.
100% GUARANTEED. And THANK YOU Pauly for being a customer. I will earn your confidence. I promise you that.
The one glaring issue that we've had in the past is with some cross pollination...primarily with a few Habs...the majority of our products are 100% pure and true as described.
Our business has grown substantially the last 2 years and I recognize that.... with my own seeds that we extract by hand that our test gardens in Baltimore, Philly, Myrtle Beach and Florida may be too small to prevent this issue.
I've sourced out a dynamite Farmer in Michigan that has a hundred acres or so...and guarantees me enough space to prevent cross pollination between the few Habanero species that we have had a problem with.
We extract many of our seeds by hand...no machines, GMO seeds, chemicals, etc. This exposes you to some risk. But my seeds are the only the prime seeds that pass our stringent standards. Many seeds are Organic and offered to you at no extra cost.
I DO NOT have 'drawings' on my 2011 website....only pictures. Check it your self at http://pepperjoe.com/ Also, I created 7 new website pages this year based on our customers interests..and one is purely picture driven at http://www.pepperjoe.com/hot-pepper-varieties/Chili-Pepper-pictures.html
Most are our very own origninal pics...a few are customers...and 2 are from Jeremy in this particular forum.
I think some posts comments are from a perspective of the 'old' Pepper Joe's. We now have a Chile Pepper Newsletter with 13,000 opt-in voluntary Subscribers. I have 6,000+ Facebook Fans. We don't 'take your money and run' but stay with you EVERY step of the way in your planting process. I don't want to 'toot our own horn' but I do want to respond to some of these comments. We've been featured on Martha Stewart Today, ABC News with Steve Levy, New York Times, LA times, Miami Herald, St.Louis Dispatch....etc.
We answer every email 100% of the times....and typicaly ship our orders within 3 days at no extra charge...and give 2 packs of free seeds with every order. Just please consider these facts and give us a chance.
Great Gardening and Fiery Regards,
Pepper Joe

Hi Pepper Joe,

I ordered seeds from you in October and you provided prompt and courteous service.

And I'm looking forward to seeing how these seeds grow for me in this upcoming season that is fast approaching.

Now, since you are here back on the boards again, I do have a question for you.

You have stated in your post above that you have a test garden in Florida.

In another thread on this forum, there was some discussion as to whether you were affliated with Regal Peppers located in St. Augustine, Florida, in some way or another.

Are you the owner or a partner in Regal peppers, or is there a relative involved in running that company?

The reason I'm asking is because I noticed that some of the pepper descriptions from Regal peppers were lifted word for word from your 2010 catalogue, and others were very similarly paraphrased to your pepper catalogue descriptions.

Rather than continuing to fuel speculation about any relationship you may or may not have with Regal Peppers, I think it would be better to hear the truth on this matter from you personally.

I'm not trying to put you up on a tribunal or inquisition stand here Joe, I'm just being unabashedly snoopy and other inquiring minds want to know as well. ;)

dvg

Hi Pepper Joe,

I ordered seeds from you in October and you provided prompt and courteous service.

And I'm looking forward to seeing how these seeds grow for me in this upcoming season that is fast approaching.

Now, since you are here back on the boards again, I do have a question for you.

You have stated in your post above that you have a test garden in Florida.

In another thread on this forum, there was some discussion as to whether you were affliated with Regal Peppers located in St. Augustine, Florida, in some way or another.

Are you the owner or a partner in Regal peppers, or is there a relative involved in running that company?

The reason I'm asking is because I noticed that some of the pepper descriptions from Regal peppers were lifted word for word from your 2010 catalogue, and others were very similarly paraphrased to your pepper catalogue descriptions.

Rather than continuing to fuel speculation about any relationship you may or may not have with Regal Peppers, I think it would be better to hear the truth on this matter from you personally.

I'm not trying to put you up on a tribunal or inquisition stand here Joe, I'm just being unabashedly snoopy and other inquiring minds want to know as well. ;)

dvg

Hi DVG. Thanks for your order...and again I promise to gain your confidence.
I have absolutely no relationship with Regal Seeds in Florida.
Frankly, I never heard of them so just googled them and checked out the site.
I see where your question came from...THERE IS some verbage that was obviously taken from my website, like on the Charleston Hot Pepper. I'm not concerned about it because the content is here and there in some pepper descriptions...
and "Imnitation is the greatest form of flattery". Actually Regal has some great pics that I was impressed with.
My test gardens in Florida are in F :lol: ort Myers. My brother, 'Pepper Bill' and his wife Veronika grow some varieties for me.
I try to get geographicly diverse locations in different Regions of the country to ascertain how my seeds do in different climates.
Pepper Joe

Hello Pepper Joe!I was wondering if there is any difference between the Giant ghost pepper that you sell, and the bhut jolokia sold by the nmsu chile pepper Institute?If not why are you selling it for more than they are?

Hello Pepper Joe!I was wondering if there is any difference between the Giant ghost pepper that you sell, and the bhut jolokia sold by the nmsu chile pepper Institute?If not why are you selling it for more than they are?
I engineered our Bhut Jolokia...meaning I kept the largest peppers and grew that seed, then kept the largest pepper, and grew that seed, etc. and the Ghost Pepper kept growing larger. I don't know how large the current NMSU Ghost is? Or how much they are selling it for? I obtained seeds from them many years back and don't know the current status on their Ghost.
I do know I've seen the Ghost Pepper seeds sold for up to $12. Lately I've seen some companies selling it very inexpensively.
There doesn't seem to be any price resistance when you have a quality product... I had to put a limit on ours of 3 packs per order and it still sells out every year.

Have to say I think this thread is not exactly a great reflection on this forum/community. Strikes me as childish and petty. I have no issues with threads that call out scam artists and people who are out to intentionally take advantage of buyers but have seen zero evidience - in my own dealings or elsewhere - that joe falls into that category. Anyone ever had dealings with Joe that he hasn't tried to make right if you feel you were wronged? Has he ever taken your money and stopped responding to your emails? Ever failed to ship an order and hassled you about sending a replacement? Anyone here believe Joe is just out to take your $$$ and provide no value? The other stuff - knocking his catalog/site, claiming he's just here to stir business, doesn't know enough about peppers, etc are all claims that could easily be made about a number of other members here who sell products - some of which have posted in this very thread. Not sure why there's a need to single him out. I don't know Joe at all outside of being a customer and reading what he's posted online, was just disappointed to see a community I've really enjoyed for the past few years take a such a high schoolish approach to criticizing another member of the pepper growing community which we are all so passionate about.

This is my first post on the Pepper!(long time lurker) I am no pepper growing newbie and I ordered seeds from Joe this year to try a different supplier then I have used in the past to see if your seeds will do as good or better. Some people assume they know why Joe is on this forum (info or money) but last time I looked there is more than one person on here trying to make a dollar and who knows everything about growing peppers?? That is why I am on here to see different growing techniques and just to enjoy talking to other pepper heads! I will not judge someone before I give them a try…So here is the list I got from Joe under the doom. We will see how they do...

Caribbean/Hab blend
Pepperoncini
Cubanelle
Giant Jalapeno
Early Jalapeno
Black Jalapeno
Hot Banana
Tabago
Red slim pepper

We will see how they do...

Caribbean/Hab blend
Pepperoncini
Cubanelle
Giant Jalapeno
Early Jalapeno
Black Jalapeno
Hot Banana
Tabago
Red slim pepper

Welcome :welcome:

I grew the banana, tabago and red slims from joe last year and all did well. Not a fan of the tabago or hot banana but they still grew well. Ordered (and received in 2 days) the 3 pack of jalapenos this year and will be growing some of each to see how they do.

I never heard of pepper joe until I read this thread, and having read it, sounds like joe realises there was mistakes in the past and has got them sorted or is in the process of sorting them. He not reimers that's for sure!!!!!!!

I'm glad to hear things are being improved. Positive change is always good! Best of luck Pepper Joe.

It's your business of course, but my only issue has been re-naming of varieties that already exist and portraying them as 'new.' The chile world already has WAY too much of this and it's bad for growers. I'm not singling you out because it happens often. Nevertheless, it's a practice that is not looked upon favorably, especially if the end grower finds it is the same as an existing one.

Take care and welcome back.

Chris

Back