• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Worst Hot sauce you've ever tasted?

fineexampl said:
mad-dog-357-bullet.jpg

Mad Dog 357 was by far the absolute worst i've tasted. it was just totally unpalatable and had an awful awful taste.

I might be the only person here who thinks Frank's Red Hot isn't bad. I admit, it's bland and boring and not worth buying for regular use. However, when you need to make wings for people who do not like heat, it's the easy sauce to use.

I don't think Franks is all that bad either. I've eaten my wifes left over wings that were made with Franks wing sauce. Pretty good actually. Just lacked the heat. I prefer my Defcon wings, but Franks really doesn't taste bad at all. I think I'd have to say that I like Dave's Insanity Sauce probably the least. I'm not to fond of the taste.

chilehunter said:
the whole "ass kicking" line of sauces!

Completely agree. My aunt, bless her heart, knows I love hot stuff. She was visiting my parents in AZ & brought me back a mini sampler pack of the original, wasabi horseradish, cajun, & garlic ass kickin' sauces. I sampled each one from the bottle. Vile, vile stuff, each one of them. They're still in my fridge but I never use them. I keep them just to remind myself that my aunt loves me :).

That being said...I've tried the ass kickin' jelly beans. Those aren't too bad.

Hey Shotta,

I think you should try t get to Jindivick chilli festival this year in February, go around, have a try of what's there!

I gotta agree, the aussie makers have got some really good sauces. Check out the reviews here and elsewhere on the interweb, and remember that there is a difference between extract and natural sauces.

Enjoy!

RS

OK, bent, remember that 'angry grandma's' chilli beef stir fry stuff? That wasnt so good.

Also, that Korean soy chilli paste, not so hot.

The desert island thread has some good tips of what ppl like..

it's so bad & i felt so ripped off after buying a bottle of their "Extreme Heat Habanero" that when i see him at festivals I dont even stop for free samples.

Gives us all a bad name.

bentalphanerd said:
the entire Byron Bay Chilli Co range comes to mind...

I loved their Mango hot sauce....but that's only because I absolutely love mango and that sauce was primarly mango.

Just had the 3 million, 4 million, and 5 million SHU pure extracts from 357 Magnum (yes, in that order all within 3 minutes of each other)............CRAPTASTICAL! Keytone city!

A few years ago I picked up a novelty sauce.... PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals ..... Because the label was funny. I kind of knew it was going to be a crap sauce, but never could have I prepared for the vile, putrid, pinkish, bile flavored mess that is this sauce.

What I don't get.... Do the makers of these sauces really think they have something good to market? Just trying to make a quick buck? What's the story here?

As a future hot sauce entrepreneur, it offends me to no end, because these sauces automatically put a bad light on my sauces for people not that familiar with my products. I'm finding it increasingly difficult getting my sauce into stores, because the owner thinks I have a "gag in a bottle". Then, I have to crack open a sample to prove that I'm serious.....and it's getting on my nerves.

DevilDuck said:
What I don't get.... Do the makers of these sauces really think they have something good to market? Just trying to make a quick buck? What's the story here?

Usually it's to make a quick buck, but the sad part is that's not always the truth.

DevilDuck said:
As a future hot sauce entrepreneur, it offends me to no end, because these sauces automatically put a bad light on my sauces for people not that familiar with my products. I'm finding it increasingly difficult getting my sauce into stores, because the owner thinks I have a "gag in a bottle". Then, I have to crack open a sample to prove that I'm serious.....and it's getting on my nerves.

Welcome to the industry buddy! :lol:

DevilDuck said:
A few years ago I picked up a novelty sauce.... PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals ..... Because the label was funny. I kind of knew it was going to be a crap sauce, but never could have I prepared for the vile, putrid, pinkish, bile flavored mess that is this sauce.

thank you for that insight on PETA sauce,I was wondering about putting them on my list to try, now I won't.

I don't know if this is 100% true or not to use this as a good judgement on sauces. I tend to stay away from gimmick sauces with gimmick names/labels, I figure they need some stupid name or graphic label to sell the sauce since its basic crappy sauce.
or am I wrong to think this ?

chilehunter said:
I don't know if this is 100% true or not to use this as a good judgement on sauces. I tend to stay away from gimmick sauces with gimmick names/labels, I figure they need some stupid name or graphic label to sell the sauce since its basic crappy sauce.
or am I wrong to think this ?
Nope, you aren't wrong. I do the same thing. But I also look at sauce consitancy, ingredients, etc etc.

imaguitargod said:
Nope, you aren't wrong. I do the same thing. But I also look at sauce consitancy, ingredients, etc etc.

thats good to hear then, thats its not wrong to judge by the name of sauce & label. of course I'm not talking about well known brands that have plenty other sauces that are not gimmicks.

I also look at the ingredient list but sometimes they're just basic chiles/vinegar/salt or something else, where I question if its any good.
then I always come back to why the name/label is it because they need that to sell it.

imaguitargod said:
Mayo in hot sauce?!?!?! Wow, you must really have been drunk.

wouldn't the mayo curdle????

But I have to admit...the worst tasting sauces I've ever tasted has been some concoctions I've made. Expirementing and blending to come up with new recipes for sauces...you'd be surprized at what you can come up with....:lol:

ring sting said:
Hey Shotta,

I think you should try t get to Jindivick chilli festival this year in February, go around, have a try of what's there!

I gotta agree, the aussie makers have got some really good sauces. Check out the reviews here and elsewhere on the interweb, and remember that there is a difference between extract and natural sauces.

Enjoy!

RS

Unbelievable, you have made my day RS.

I could of sworn I saw advertisments for a chilli festival while driving through Gippsland a couple of years back. You think I could find it by Google? tried Melb/ Aus/ Vic/ Gippsland /Chilli Festival and got nothing. Was beginning to think I dreamed it.

Thanks again.

Back