• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Would anyone say there are certain milemarkers in fermentation?

Just curious. I'm still new to experimenting with fermentation. I made a couple batches of fermented reaper sauce, and fermented chocolate habanero sauce last year, and both turned out nice and funky. I let them both go two months before processing.

Now I'm fermenting a one gallon container of mango/onion/pepper/lemon/oregano/garlic/idkwhatelse and my container isn't great for fermenting. It bubbled over, broke the seal on the water lock, and there was a ton of salt all around the top of the lid. Before, I was using 1 quart mason jars, and I didn't have any problems with the ferment exploding/bubbling over. This one, though, I don't think I had enough head space.

SO. I can either dump some out, and continue fermenting, or move some of it to another jar, continue fermenting, or just straight-up process it all now. It's only been one month.

What difference is there between one month and two? What difference is there between a month and a year as far as fermenting flavor? Is it significant? Is it worth waiting? I have no idea. I'm impatient. But I mean, at what point should I call it quits, or at what point should I say, "just a few more months, and it's golden?" Does it consistently age and grow in flavor, or does it take a significant amount of time for a difference to be noticeable?

I'm not saying I can't tell the difference between a fermented sauce and a vinegar-based sauce, but I have no idea how fermented sauces differ from one another if made similarly, but aged and processed separately.

I guess if I'm really curious, I could conduct such an experiment myself, but I'm just curious. My hot sauce ferment has been bubbling/brewing for 28 days. I'd wait longer, but the container sucks, so I'm eager to process it.

Day 2 or 3 is a mile marker to me, when you see that fermentation kick off so you know the colony has started well.

Approx week 2 is one as well. Thats when i notice the ferm really slows down. If things start to get yeasty here I'll stop a ferm but If I can make it to week 4 I'm happier. I haven't done a 45 or a 90 day yet. I will one day but I'm always to anxious to make a new sauce.

Alright, I opened it up and processed it. The funk was good; no kahm yeast, no mold. I blended it, boiled it, and gave it a taste. Found out I completely fucked up the brine. I think I estimated it at 7% (I don't have a kitchen scale, but I plan to get one soon). Way too salty. Didn't know what to do to dilute it other than add water, but I didn't want to dilute the heat, so I added a cup of vinegar and two cups of brown sugar and put it on the stove. Turned out a little better, but it still wasn't that great.

It's too bad, cause I made a whole gallon of the stuff, and now I have 19 5oz bottles. IDK if I should give it away, or what. I shouldn't have bottled it at all, but I convinced myself it was better than it is.

I think if I were to attempt something like this again, I'd ferment only the peppers, then use fresh fruit. Somehow the mango flavor was completely lost over the course of fermentation, and I didn't add those to the jar until they were extremely ripe. 

If you were to attempt it again spend 10 bucks on a scale and weigh out your salt. Then your spot on and don't have something to salty. I don't know how to fix to salty.

Back