• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Xanthum gum

Does anybody know the best way to incorporate Xanthum gum into your sauce- whisk, blender, etc? And what might be a good amount ratio to prevent separation in sauce?

I usually add xanthum gum during the final blending, which is done right before putting my sauce back in the sauce pot and getting it hot to bottle it. That way I don't end up with any clumps. I don't have a specific ratio, I just add 1/8tsp at a time until I'm pleased with the consistency. Btw, 1/8tsp at a time isn't much, but I usually make really small batches (4 woosies worth at the most).

About 1/8 tsp (or less) per cup of sauce for 0.25% which I found to be more than enough to thicken and avoid separation.  If you go with too much it will be like ketchup and kinda slimy.   I also added during the blending phase, if you dont mix it in quickly and thoroughly enough, it will clump up.

The best way to incorporate Xanthan Gum is during the blending process, at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon per quart of finished product, depending on desired consistency.  At Pirate's Well, for our Hot Wing Challenge we want the consistency to be similar to that of Tabasco Sauce, which is the same as when we bottle it for sale.  Remember, the object of Xanthan Gum is not to thicken your hot sauce.  It is to keep it from separating during it's shelf life

If you have a durable blender, add either water/vinegar and or sauce to the container. Bring the blender up to speed to create a vortex in the middle. Pour the desired amount of Xanthan (less is more) through the hole in the lid into the center of the spin. I use a product called Tixacan Rapid 3. Works either with hot or cold......the blend usually takes about 3 minutes to smooth out. I like the slower pour and particle stabilization when using a loose juice or vinegar base.
Good luck

Back