• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Yellow leaves on seedlings....

'If your hot pepper or chile plants have leaves that are beginning to yellow, this may be caused by excess nitrogen in the soil. To check, look at the plant carefully. If the lower leaves of the plant are yellow and the veins in the leaves are dark brown or green, this is probably the problem. Luckily, if this is caught early, you can still save your pepper plant. Begin over-watering the plant for the next few water cycles. This will flush out the excess nitrogen and allow the plant to recover.'

i always thought nitrogen would make your leaves greener ?

could the yellowing of the leaves be because i am already feeding them nutes ? i am feeding them on every water which is every second day/or when the top of the coco dries out...

021.jpg

Last year I used rainwater (sometimes ice water that I had to warm up) and never tried to balance it. But I was growing in dirt.

Mike

Hotpeppa said:
will do...

if i water them do i have to PH balance the water when using coco coir ?

I've heard that coco retains moisture very well. You might be over watering. If the top is dry, it doesn't mean it needs more water necessarily. Stick your finger in a little deeper & check. I thinks it's almost easier to kill seedlings with too much water as opposed to too little. I never used any nutes with seedlings other than that seed starter solution I used this year made from a weak concentrate of Bloom Booster. I'm not even sure that did anything special. I don't think PH of the water is critical either as I never did it. I think seedlings just like light, heat and air more than anything. With some water.:)

bigt said:
I've heard that coco retains moisture very well. You might be over watering. If the top is dry, it doesn't mean it needs more water necessarily. Stick your finger in a little deeper & check.

I am a breeder of tropical arachnids for museums, zoos and the pet trade so I can say that you are absolutely correct about the coco retaining moisture very very well. I have used both coco and peat for tropical arachnids so I am very familiar with this. Both retain moiture very well and therefore it would indeed be very easy to over water a plant when grown in this type of "dirt".

IMO that looks like a classic case of light burn. How close do you have that 400W HPS to those seedlings? Personally, I'd wait til the plants were on their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves before I pull them from under fluoros and move them to HID lighting.

Can you get a bigger pic?

TX,

I have a bunch of seedlings under a 150 watt HID (about 12" at the least from the canopy) and the leaves are not yellow. Of course, there is a huge difference between 150 watts and 400 watts.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Do you water from the bottom?

Mike

no, i hand water them from the top... thats also a good idea, but most are not in a tray..i guess ill have to get a smaller tray to fit all the small pots in and also try watering from the bottom.. i did want to do that but the coco gets really dry on the surface and fast... i was told that you should let the coco dry out like that...

i have to try a few things before they bloody die on me... ill start by watering less with no nutes first to see if that helps.. also try watering from the bottom.. hope it works, i would hate to see them die on me.. the one plant looks really yellow..:(

AJ, from advice he got from Pam, recommended bottom watering to me last year. It really helped my plants. The plants get their food from the roots and the roots are at the bottom.

If the plants don't start wilting a bit, they aren't dying of thirst!

Mike

A complete fertilizer is, generally speaking, better than an incomplete one. I don't use hydroponic solutions, tried it once and was very unhappy with the results. Someone who does use them sucessfully may be better able to advise you.

My general feeling is that they've had too much nitrogen, and it is causing problems with the uptake of other nutrients. Doing nothing may be your best course of action, but I confess I would be itching to try misting them with some Epsom salts in water.

Patience may be a virtue, but it's not one of mine. Ahem.

Seriously, wait for one of the folks who use hydroponics solutions to weigh in, they'll be better able to advise you.

Pam said:
A complete fertilizer is, generally speaking, better than an incomplete one. I don't use hydroponic solutions, tried it once and was very unhappy with the results. Someone who does use them sucessfully may be better able to advise you.

My general feeling is that they've had too much nitrogen, and it is causing problems with the uptake of other nutrients. Doing nothing may be your best course of action, but I confess I would be itching to try misting them with some Epsom salts in water.

Patience may be a virtue, but it's not one of mine. Ahem.

Seriously, wait for one of the folks who use hydroponics solutions to weigh in, they'll be better able to advise you.

Thanks Pam..

starting to stress out a little... after all the hard work i have done babying these seedlings i may be killing them..grrrrr !

i should of just gone with a good dry loose soil like i did last year instead of all this hydroponic bullsht...so far i am not a big fan..

i think i like the traditional way of doing things... dirt, water, and sun....

anyways... i hope some of you hydro guys can help...

im going to leave them alone.. no water for a few days.. and i may even put the worst ones on the windowsill for some natural light...

i may even get some epson salts that so many people swear by and try it out...

:(

I had great results last year taking some A to Zinc multiple vitamins, crushing them up and mixing them with water then adding that cocktail to plants.

Mike

Back