• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Yellow leaves on seedlings....

18" should be plenty with a 400W....So i guess it's not light burn. That is very strange though, i guess it could be fert burn but doesn't really look like that either. You have these in straight coco?

What ferts are you using?

And are you pH'ing?

Don't think it could be overwatering either....that is really really hard to do in coco unless you just have the pots sitting in stagnant water.

Are only the seedlings in the large pots yellowing?

Txclosetgrower said:
18" should be plenty with a 400W....So i guess it's not light burn. That is very strange though, i guess it could be fert burn but doesn't really look like that either. You have these in straight coco?

What ferts are you using?

And are you pH'ing?

Txclosetgrower said:
Don't think it could be overwatering either....that is really really hard to do in coco unless you just have the pots sitting in stagnant water.

Are only the seedlings in the large pots yellowing?

its straight coco...

and i just took a look at the tray and there is stagnet water in it from the run off that i never noticed before... but i have some pots that are ontop of other trays avoiding the stagnet water and they are a little yellow as well...

hmmmm... i will empty the tray out and then im not sure what to do ?....

oh, and i do have some is small pots that are yellowing as well...

some are really green though... my pablano red is super green, along with many others... just a few are going yellow, i would say around 10 or so.... the dorset naga and the Bhut being the worst of them...

geeese... i just checked up on the worst one and it almost looks white.. its like the leaves are losing all the green pigment in them...

maybe i should just re pot the worst ones with fresh coco then water in a day or two with just water...

Hotpeppa said:
geeese... i just checked up on the worst one and it almost looks white.. its like the leaves are losing all the green pigment in them...

maybe i should just re pot the worst ones with fresh coco then water in a day or two with just water...

Man, that sucks. I think is has to be the nutes or too much water. Your light doesn't look close enough to be causing problems IMO. I was going to try some coco too and now I'm glad I didn't mess with it. I'm going to plant another round of seeds in Pro-Mix and see what happens. Just give them water, light and wind - that's it. Seems to work for Cappy! :)

bigt said:
Man, that sucks. I think is has to be the nutes or too much water. Your light doesn't look close enough to be causing problems IMO. I was going to try some coco too and now I'm glad I didn't mess with it. I'm going to plant another round of seeds in Pro-Mix and see what happens. Just give them water, light and wind - that's it. Seems to work for Cappy! :)

well i transplanted the worst ones into a new pot of coco.. then just gave them a little ph balanced water... i think its the nutes.. maybe i started to soon with them...

from now on i will only water them every three days with no nutes until they are a little bigger...

i also noticed a green film on the surface of the coco.. could this be algae ? and is it something i should be worried about ?

Hotpeppa said:
well i transplanted the worst ones into a new pot of coco.. then just gave them a little ph balanced water... i think its the nutes.. maybe i started to soon with them...

from now on i will only water them every three days with no nutes until they are a little bigger...

i also noticed a green film on the surface of the coco.. could this be algae ? and is it something i should be worried about ?

I found a decent page for seed starting and it had this:

Mold is growing on the top of the soil surface. It doesn't appear to be hurting my plants, but should I be concerned? Mold is an indication that the growing medium is too wet. It will not harm your plants as long as you take quick action. Withhold water for a few days and try to increase air circulation around the containers by using a small fan. You can also scrape some of the mold off or try transplanting the seedlings into fresh soil.

here's a link to the whole page - good info imo: http://www.gardeners.com/How-to-Start-Seeds/5062,default,pg.html

The lesson to be learned here is to lay off the nutrients with chiles. They are not very selected and grow in nasty soil where they are native.

"Turbo" does not work with chiles.

Your growing methods are probably the problem, not the hydro.

The green stuff is algae and the best you can do is control it, not eliminate it. It doesn't hurt the plants.

slowly starting to change colour again...

willard3 said:
The lesson to be learned here is to lay off the nutrients with chiles. They are not very selected and grow in nasty soil where they are native.

Your growing methods are probably the problem, not the hydro.

The green stuff is algae and the best you can do is control it, not eliminate it. It doesn't hurt the plants.

Well i layed off the water and the nutes, scraped out the mold on three of them and repotted about five of them...

so far so good, the colour seems to be coming back on the yellowing leaves which i am very happy about.:)

I just have one question for everyone.. if i lay off the nutes, what will the plants have for food in coco coir ?

im assuming there isnt anything in it as it isnt soil...

how long should i wait to start feeding them nutes ?

ooops, one more thing... what does " turbo " mean regarding chilies ?

Good! I'm glad they're doing better. I think the thing to remember about fertilizing is that a little bit can go a long way. I don't work with hydro nutes, so you might want to ask someone who does, but my general recommendation for folks is to use half as much half as often as the package recommends.

My preference is for fish emulsion and seaweed/kelp solutions, but I'm in the minority here. I'm not comfortable feeding my plants a steady diet of hormones.

It could also be a coir related nutrient problem. Here's something I was recently reading

"Growers using coir (coco peat) growing media should be aware of the CEC, potential for nitrogen draw down and calcium retention in the fi rst few weeks of use and make regular use of leachate analysis and nutrient adjustments to counter such problems. In the later stages, leachate analysis will assist in fine tuning nutrient programs to avoid potassium depletion and prevent deficiencies long before they can impact on yields and fruit quality"
http://www.columbiapublications.com/tomatomagazine/december2006/greenhousenutrition.htm

willard3 said:

Hotpeppa said:
Well i layed off the water and the nutes, scraped out the mold on three of them and repotted about five of them...

so far so good, the colour seems to be coming back on the yellowing leaves which i am very happy about.:)

I just have one question for everyone.. if i lay off the nutes, what will the plants have for food in coco coir ?

im assuming there isnt anything in it as it isnt soil...

how long should i wait to start feeding them nutes ?

ooops, one more thing... what does " turbo " mean regarding chilies ?

RE: "Turbo" A turbo charged engine is forced induction - you're forcing more air into the cylinder so you can add more fuel and make a bigger explosion which equals more power for the engine. I think what Willard was trying to say is that you can't force chilis to grow faster by feeding them more nutes. You can optimize growth with a variety of factors and nutes are one of them, but you can overdo any factor and reduce your results. Finding that balance to optimize growth and production is what we all strive for.

Back