• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yellow Rocoto

My three year old Yellow Rocoto plant is doing very well so far. It's blooming now and I actually believe I'm getting pod set. This plant has never produced fruit before and I'm crossing my fingers......

Rocotopod-1.jpg

YRocoto-1.jpg

Looks like a pepper to me.

Three years without fruiting, you've got more patience than I do. Have you done any research to see if there are any specific parameters it needs to be fruitful?

Good luck with it this year.

Bob_B said:
My three year old Yellow Rocoto plant is doing very well so far. It's blooming now and I actually believe I'm getting pod set. This plant has never produced fruit before and I'm crossing my fingers......

Very nice looking plant.

Is it normal for a yellow rocoto to take 3 years to produce fruit?

chilicutter said:
Maybe it's lack of something or something too much;)
Is that good diagnose:lol:

I believe that's precisely right, chilicutter. Not enough cool nights and too much Florida heat.:lol:

I dunno. I keep mine in a warm, yet not too hot environment with direct light 24/7 and in Hydroponics. it was actually the youngest plant to flower as I needed to pinch several buds when it was less than a month old. a very impressive plant with a thick stem and beautiful growth.

If it's like my Manzano Red, you just have to hand pollinate. You'll get more than you can eat.

patrick said:
Looks like a pepper to me.

Three years without fruiting, you've got more patience than I do. Have you done any research to see if there are any specific parameters it needs to be fruitful?

Good luck with it this year.

No real research other than searching pepper growing websites like this one. Mostly what I've been able to distill from my search efforts is that they don't really like very hot environments. This species is indigenous to the highlands in Peru and Bolivia. I imagine the temperatures are mild during the day and cold at night. During the summer growing season in Panama City, it's mostly just very hot...

But, this year I got a very early start and we've had a mild to cool spring. That may translate into a nice Rocoto harvest. I hope..

Both my Red Manzano and Yellow Rocotto have pods on now,several.I've always heard of problems with these but my plants are solar grown,full sun since sprouting just like all the rest of the hoard.I've had zero bud drop with them and plan on letting them roll until I get some bud drop.Wind polinated...I'll see if i can't get some pics up on the pods on thread tomorrow.

PepperLover said:
good looking plant i love rocotos my best chilis

Thanks and that's what I keep hearing about Rocotos being one of the best. I am so glad I've finally got some pods. I've moved the plant slightly so that it gets only morning sun and stays out of the afternoon heat. Right now, it's blooming like crazy and it seems to be podding.

Could be a good season!

Update on my 3 year old yellow Rocoto....

It's definitely the most active pepper I have so far. Many pods are developing and I see the bees pollinating.

IMG_1067-1.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Holy Cow - That looks like an apple on my 21 inch monitor. Great day in the morning!

Anyway, have you done a video on eating one of those units?

How does it taste? I've got to know.

Great photo.

Thanks for sharing.......

Back