• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellowing Leaves...

I have been having trouble with a few plants. The leaves have yellowed on my oldest chinese varieties in pots. Other than the color they are still growing and producing pods. I have been giving all my plants a spray of Epsom Salts every 2 weeks. They just received a spray on Tuesday. They also have pelleted fertilizer scraped into the top of the soil. I had been using fox farm's products but since it basically rained from the end of May through June I added the pelleted stuff at some point in June. It is supposed to last several months. With Nitrogen and Magnesium covered I am wondering if I have some type of other deficiency going on. I have 2 chineses of the same age etc. planted in my raised bed and they look great.

Here are some photos of the yellowing...

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0040-1.jpg

Have you tried putting the Epsom Salt in the soil? Sprinkle a little (no more than a tablespoon) around the top layer of soil and water.

Other than that, it could be the soil pH, if it's too high or to low it can reduce availability of nutrients, even if they are in sufficient quantity.

The Ideal pH of Peppers is 6.5 to 6.8, also have you fed them any micro nutrients? A deficiency of some micro nutrients can cause yellow leaves. Miracle Grow has micronutrients that are water soluble, so you can spray them on the leaves in addition to in the soil.

I've been having the same problem Josh. I hit them with some foliar Epsom and they seem to get a little greener for a few days. Also tried the foliar MG. They are healthy other than color. May try some garden lime next or what Richard recommended - a sprinkle of Epsom.

bigt said:
I've been having the same problem Josh. I hit them with some foliar Epsom and they seem to get a little greener for a few days. Also tried the foliar MG. They are healthy other than color. May try some garden lime next or what Richard recommended - a sprinkle of Epsom.

I gave my cari. red a shot of superthrive. That really helped!

RichardK said:
Have you tried putting the Epsom Salt in the soil? Sprinkle a little (no more than a tablespoon) around the top layer of soil and water.

Other than that, it could be the soil pH, if it's too high or to low it can reduce availability of nutrients, even if they are in sufficient quantity.

The Ideal pH of Peppers is 6.5 to 6.8, also have you fed them any micro nutrients? A deficiency of some micro nutrients can cause yellow leaves. Miracle Grow has micronutrients that are water soluble, so you can spray them on the leaves in addition to in the soil.

I will have to try watering some epsom salts into the soil. Should I wait 2 weeks to do this since I just gave them a foliar feeding on Tuesday?

I am using Pro-mix BX. My water is basic so it could possibly be a PH problem. If that was the case I would think all the potted plants would be affected though.

The pelleted fertilizer I added was Osmocote Indoor/Outdoor plant food. I was really happy with the Fox Farm products, but it kept on raining and I wasn't able to water in any nutrients. At the time, I figured I should get something pelleted, but now I am stuck with the stuff for another 3 months or so.

bigt said:

You are using Osmocote as well, right? Maybe that is why we are having a similar problem?

joeknowsjolokia said:
I gave my cari. red a shot of superthrive. That really helped!

Thanks for the tip.

Silver_Surfer said:
Repot and check the roots. All of that rainy weather may have caused your problem.

Well I was originally thinking the same thing, but this is only going on with the potted chineses that are a month older than the other plants. If it had been the wet weather, I was thinking I would have seen this in all my potted plants.

Josh, I'm having the same problem with a few plants in my raised bed. It's not all of them, but just a few, and most of the yellow ones are the largest and podding normally. Very strange. I've tried epsom in the soil, foliar, fish emulsion, seaweed all to no avail. I've just resigned miself to let them do their thing, and get the soil tested next year. Very strange that you'd see this in potted plants though, unless it does have something to do with your water. In my case, the ones that get rained on the most are the ones getting more yellow. Strange...

FiveStar said:
Josh, I'm having the same problem with a few plants in my raised bed. It's not all of them, but just a few, and most of the yellow ones are the largest and podding normally. Very strange. I've tried epsom in the soil, foliar, fish emulsion, seaweed all to no avail. I've just resigned miself to let them do their thing, and get the soil tested next year. Very strange that you'd see this in potted plants though, unless it does have something to do with your water. In my case, the ones that get rained on the most are the ones getting more yellow. Strange...

I hear ya. It certainly is strange which can get frustrating. You put so much work into them you want them to be perfect. As long as they continue to grow and produce pods I will be happy. I am just concerned that the yellowing may lead to something else. I have only 4 of my plants in the ground and they are very happy. I am actually going to put another bed in next season where my two rows of pots are. This way the majority of my plants will be in the ground. While I think pots have several advantages, I feel more comfortable planting them in the raised beds.

I have seen this year that both beds and pots have their advantages. Some of my plants have really gone wild in their raised bed homes, while others not so much. However, all the chinenses I've got in promix are HUGE and really healthy. I think a good mix of both is nice. I figure this way, I can overwinter a few potted plants that I like, but I dont have to invest a ton of cash in pots and ProMix to get a decent harvest.

Josh said:
You are using Osmocote as well, right? Maybe that is why we are having a similar problem?

Yes, Osmocote 14-14-14, but just a few are yellowing. None of my Tomato Tone plants are yellowing that I have noticed, but they are in a Pro-Mix/Pro-Moss mixture. Could be coincidence, not sure. I'll experiment and if I hit on anything that works, I'll let you know.

Josh said:
Well I was originally thinking the same thing, but this is only going on with the potted chineses that are a month older than the other plants. If it had been the wet weather, I was thinking I would have seen this in all my potted plants.

If you've ruled out a root problem try dissolving a cup of dolomite in 5 gal of water and water the yellowed plants with that your next 2 waterings. It all won't dissolve and will leave a little sediment behind in the bucket; just discard it.

I just remembered I had a Red Hab go lime green earlier this year and that treatment brought the color back in around a week.

Silver_Surfer said:
If you've ruled out a root problem try dissolving a cup of dolomite in 5 gal of water and water the yellowed plants with that your next 2 waterings. It all won't dissolve and will leave a little sediment behind in the bucket; just discard it.

I just remembered I had a Red Hab go lime green earlier this year and that treatment brought the color back in around a week.

I had beleived mine was caused by lack of trace minerals. To me, this is why superthrive corrected it. It only happened with the one plant. (also in promix)The only fert was Dr Earth which is like a dry chicken poo!http://www.drearth.com/products/blended/

I've got a few with the same problem, all in pots. Last week I fed them some Epsom salt/worm castings tea through the leaves and seen no change. Yesterday and today I watered in some worm castings. Now it's wait and see again.

Josh, I have only one itching desire!!!!!

No really, I've been dealing with the yellowing leaves, too. On my super hots in pots. I moved some of them off my deck where they had full sunlight all day long. Now they get only afternoon sun and they're greening up for me. I've tried everything else and they don't work. That's why I use pots. I can just keep moving them around until they're happy. Kind of like what I'm going to do with my parents.......

i would suggest more shade time...

i have full sun plants that are yellowing, i also have the same seeded plants in more shade and they looking fantastic...

they have all been fed the same...

shade is key with certain varieties i think... based on my experiance that is...

scarpetti said:
Josh, I have only one itching desire!!!!!

No really, I've been dealing with the yellowing leaves, too. On my super hots in pots. I moved some of them off my deck where they had full sunlight all day long. Now they get only afternoon sun and they're greening up for me. I've tried everything else and they don't work. That's why I use pots. I can just keep moving them around until they're happy. Kind of like what I'm going to do with my parents.......

Hotpeppa said:
i would suggest more shade time...

i have full sun plants that are yellowing, i also have the same seeded plants in more shade and they looking fantastic...

they have all been fed the same...

shade is key with certain varieties i think... based on my experiance that is...

Damn...I don't really have a place I can move them to. I think I am going to have to try some of the suggestions above and hope for the best. If that doesn't work I will just have to learn to accept them for who they are in all their yellowy ugliness haha.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys. That goes for everyone. I certainly appreciate it.

Josh said:
Damn...I don't really have a place I can move them to. I think I am going to have to try some of the suggestions above and hope for the best. If that doesn't work I will just have to learn to accept them for who they are in all their yellowy ugliness haha.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys. That goes for everyone. I certainly appreciate it.

My mom always said, You need to talk to your plants! Josh, have you been talking to your plants? I didn't think so, now get out there and say something nice to your yellow plant... go on!

Back