• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yet Another DIY LED thread

Pretty heavy reading TX. Went a bit over my head. Should not be necessary to create such advanced circuits for DIY LED projects.

Billy-
Nice looking project- I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results I'm getting out of my 12" LED stoplight so far. One reason I started with it was the luminosity and wavelength and power consumption are all regulated by DOT specifications.

You really should research the LEDs to find what wavelength they are- which shouldn't be too hard really, pretty much all I've researched I've been able to determine the wavelength. While over the internet from the other side of the planet they look to be 'about' right, I'd prefer knowing for sure, if it were me ;)

caroltlw said:
Yeah, I'll have to read that later. Beer + electronics ain't as easy as it used to be.

Sure it is....Don't worry..this won't hurt a bit...

beer-testing.JPG

Whaaat?! Ya mean this isn't beer testing?

QuadShotz said:
Sure it is....Don't worry..this won't hurt a bit...

See, the problem is I OPENED the beer and ingested it.

I really need to dig up all that stuff I researched last year but it's on a different computer and I'm feeling lazy lately.

Hinky said:
Billy-
Nice looking project- I'm EXTREMELY happy with the results I'm getting out of my 12" LED stoplight so far. One reason I started with it was the luminosity and wavelength and power consumption are all regulated by DOT specifications.

You really should research the LEDs to find what wavelength they are- which shouldn't be too hard really, pretty much all I've researched I've been able to determine the wavelength. While over the internet from the other side of the planet they look to be 'about' right, I'd prefer knowing for sure, if it were me ;)

Thank you. About the wavelengt, I think it would be impossible to get the spec, since I bought it from one of the eBay sellers. But I guess we can assume that the wavelengths would be the most comon (and cheap) ones. So for the red about 630 nm is likely. Not sure what's most common for the blue ones. 485 nm?

BillyIdle said:
Pretty heavy reading TX. Went a bit over my head. Should not be necessary to create such advanced circuits for DIY LED projects.

Haha yeah, sry bout that.

Of course I have a multimeter :) Can't do this kind of project without it. But to measure the current running through one single series of LEDs, I would have to disconnect it. I don't have the accurate numbers in my head, but the PSU delivers about 19.8V at full load and if I remember correct the whole circuit draws 14W. That's a total current of 0.7A. Divided by 28 series of LEDs that's 0.025A per series, which is right on spec for the LEDs.

Gary18 said:
ahh this will be intresting to see how it goes your leds aint pumping put very many lumens mind you but still sure it will be fine heres a calulator http://led.linear1.org/lumen.wiz

red per led . lumens 0.645
blue per led. lumens 1.432

I hope that in scotland, your periods serve the purposes of commas in America because...

If you are only pumping out 0.645 and 1.432 (Not 645 & 1,432) then there may be a problem:lol:

Back