• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic You know what really grinds my gears?!?

EvanWilliams1988 said:
It's even worse when they pop while your socks are still on.
Then you gotta peel the sock off of an already tender spot
haha yea that's what i meant to write. welds to your sock.

i used to get poison ivy SUPER bad... i remember my socks welding to my feet when they were covered in these gross blisters. my feet would itch so bad id grind my heel into the top of my toes to itch them. this pops the gross blisters though and you get this yellow stain on your socks that dries out to a crust. taking off the socks leaves all sorts of lint and shit in the poison ivy crusty fluid area too.

so glad i dont get it that bad anymore.

queequeg152 said:
haha yea that's what i meant to write. welds to your sock.

i used to get poison ivy SUPER bad... i remember my socks welding to my feet when they were covered in these gross blisters. my feet would itch so bad id grind my heel into the top of my toes to itch them. this pops the gross blisters though and you get this yellow stain on your socks that dries out to a crust. taking off the socks leaves all sorts of lint and shit in the poison ivy crusty fluid area too.

so glad i dont get it that bad anymore.
I use to get the same thing when I'd skin my knees.
Strings from the hole in my jeans would start healing into the wound.
God,that sucked so bad having to rip them out.

Damn... I'm screwed! My father's father died in his 40s. My dad died last year at 59. His half brother died last week in his 50s. And just found out his other brother, David, died on Sunday, he was also 59...

I'm 31! I'm over the hill!

All these entitled brats demanding free college...

Ok, not everyone is college material and that is OK. Nothing wrong with that. However, that doesn't mean that they are doomed to work at McDonald's and live on the dole.

Instead of demanding universal free college, these kids should be exploring the trades. We will always need plumbers, electricians, construction workers and, what brought up this conversation, the 23 year old kid who is installing carpet and tile at my mother's and sister's houses. He is clearing $90,000 a year. That is damn good money for here in Wyoming! There is no shame in learning a trade. They are honorable professions and who do you think is going to have more steady work? The plumber or the guy with a liberal arts degree?

Pariah said:
All these entitled brats demanding free college...

Ok, not everyone is college material and that is OK. Nothing wrong with that. However, that doesn't mean that they are doomed to work at McDonald's and live on the dole.

Instead of demanding universal free college, these kids should be exploring the trades. We will always need plumbers, electricians, construction workers and, what brought up this conversation, the 23 year old kid who is installing carpet and tile at my mother's and sister's houses. He is clearing $90,000 a year. That is damn good money for here in Wyoming! There is no shame in learning a trade. They are honorable professions and who do you think is going to have more steady work? The plumber or the guy with a liberal arts degree?
That's why I became a welder.
Can't understand this generation.
It's all about "what you can do for me"

There are less than 300 licensed electricians in the STATE of New Jersey (talk about opportunity!). But like Pariah said, how many of them youngsters don't want to "work" but have a masters degree in liberal arts, and $100,000 worth of college debt?

Little assholes.

I've been in the trades my entire life. I dropped out of High School to hang drywall. I'm not saying what I earn every year but, I own my own business, make my own hours, choose my clients, and do what I want, when I want. And I have zero debt.
So there.

I should follow that all up with the fact that there is no justification for how much it costs for a college education. They give free education to wealthy foreigners and sports jocks, but if you are from another state, wanting a specialty degree, watch out. Good luck paying that exorbitant amount of money for the rest of your life.

Scoville DeVille said:
There are less than 300 licensed electricians in the STATE of New Jersey (talk about opportunity!). But like Pariah said, how many of them youngsters don't want to "work" but have a masters degree in liberal arts, and $100,000 worth of college debt?

Little assholes.

I've been in the trades my entire life. I dropped out of High School to hang drywall. I'm not saying what I earn every year but, I own my own business, make my own hours, choose my clients, and do what I want, when I want. And I have zero debt.
So there.

I should follow that all up with the fact that there is no justification for how much it costs for a college education. They give free education to wealthy foreigners and sports jocks, but if you are from another state, wanting a specialty degree, watch out. Good luck paying that exorbitant amount of money for the rest of your life.
Hard work builds character.
It also has a way making you appreciate the few things that you do have.

Scoville DeVille said:

Little assholes.

So there.
Exactly!

queequeg152 said:
sweat is for poor people!!!
Silver and gold aren't the only riches bud.

I come home sweating and stinking to high heaven every day,but,I make a fair living and I sleep well each night.
I may not have a fancy truck(it gets me from A to B and is in good shape which is fine by me) or the latest gizmo,but,I have enough to give my family a comfortable life,and,that's better than any amount of riches.

also... im not a big union guy or anything, but man trade unions for actual skilled trades are really cool imho... i mean there is alot of reasons to not like unions, but for skilled trades that require alot of continuing learning and passing skills down to the younger folks? i definatly think they have their place.

i went to a trade convention for young people thing for my metal shop class in high school, and this real old guy i think was from some trade union guy showed me how to tape drywall... which i hated at the time, but looking back i think was pretty cool.

alot of the welding unions will help you apprentice, and get certs and experiance beffore you even get your card i believe.

If I get in at the refinery they are steel workers union. I've already passed the tests and interview process. i'm in the waiting to be hired candidate pool. Would be my first union job. I've been in pipelines and the petroleum industry for ~12 years. I used to work for BP pipelines but the location I was at was one of the few non unionized facilities. 

Back