• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

You know what really grinds my gears?!?

It's probably been covered already but it happened to me just today. I'm on the bottom floor of a building waiting for the elevator to go up (the only direction to go from this floor).  A lady comes up and also presses the button...  It really grated my cheese, as if I were too stupid to press the button myself... Really? Is it just me?

WarrantMan said:
It's probably been covered already but it happened to me just today. I'm on the bottom floor of a building waiting for the elevator to go up (the only direction to go from this floor).  A lady comes up and also presses the button...  It really grated my cheese, as if I were too stupid to press the button myself... Really? Is it just me?
Haha.

Very common occurrence here in NY. I have witnessed it both ways. Some people always press the button no matter who is there. I think it could just be a reflex as elevators are so common here. I have also witnessed people just standing there because they all thought the other person pressed the button.

Elevator etiquette is fascinating to watch.

There is always that person that has to stick their hand in as the doors close, then you have those that press the wrong floors. Then there are the prople that feel they are so important that they have to conduct business in the elevator...we have lots of fun with those people. We just start having a really loud, obnoxious, inappropriate conversation over their business conversation.

One of my favorites was a woman who stepped onto the elevator, with nothing in her hands and asked me to press her floor. I just laughed at her.

I dislike spicy or hot reviews and the reviewer is glamed up like Elvis and screaming at me in a raspy, over hyped way. Or when they act like theyre dieing from the heat. I actually enjoy spice and heat and do not panic when it gets hot.
I also get annoyed with some hot sauce claim their product is xxx hot and its like water on my food. Its like some companies are all about hype and not substance.

Totally cop, but I think you'll get the point. For a few years, I "drew the short straw" and had to work a traffic detail at our waterfront park for July 4th festivities that concluded with a large fireworks show. The event drew many thousands of people. Without fail, after the fireworks show had ended - there was always (not sexist, just stating facts) that a frantic woman would run up to me and exclaim "officer, I don't remember where I parked my car!" I so wanted to say "lady I don't remember where you parked either, I wasn't with you, I was here before you..." Being the gentleman, I never said it of course but it "grinds my gears" (a new phrase for me.)  Really? What can I do but state the obvious? 

When all the pizza toppings slide off the slice before I'm even halfway finished with it.

That's caused by what's called poor "cheese lock." The unmelted cheese at the edge needs to overlap the sauce border with a fair thickness so that it burns just a bit as the crust rises in the oven. It's a lot easier if the sauce border is nice and circular (or straight on a square pizza). The sauce needs to taper down to the dough, too; sloppy spread creates a thick bead of sauce round the border which softens and flows in the oven causing the cheese at the edge to move. It takes skill and practice to do it quickly, but most pizza makers are fast food kids who turn over quickly, and most pizzas are ordered and made during peak times when everybody's scrambling.

Crime and punishment really grinds my gears. Our society is entirely too tolerant of crime and entirely too squeamish about punishment. Rights and responsibilities are interdependent and should be treated so.

Last edited:
People who tailgate me on the highway while I'm on cruise control then passe me like Nascar racers but 3 minutes later I'm right behind them so to keep my set speed I have to pass them too. When this little "game" repeat itself a few times it really pisses me off so floor it until I no longer see the asshole in my rear view mirror!

When this little "game" repeat itself a few times it really pisses me off so floor it until I no longer see the asshole in my rear view mirror!
Reminds of the time I was driving back to Texas from Alabama and me and this other car were passing each other back and forth for most of the trip. I'd stop for gas or food and somehow we'd catch back up with each other. It became a game lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bou
Sheesh, i cant figgur out how to quote the posts about sloppy cheese pizza. But if that's what grinds your gears.....i hope other things become more important.

I drive 15 to 45 minutes to our jobs as electrical contractors. At ~8.00am in 10 miles of that journey, i might see 5-10 oncoming vehicles.

Yea... we live in BummFrick Nowhere.....PonyExpress delivery service....walmart is 45 miles away...same for the closest fast food joint...no food delivery of any sort....domino's is 45 miles away...

After the last couple years...and for many years before....i am grateful to be not grinding gears on the daily commute.

When you're forced to change your password, then you gotta think of a new one.
And the NewOne you think of tells you..."you can not use a prevoiusly used password..."

I think I live where you live @salsalady.

What's grinding my gears you ask? Those pesky little Sciaridae. No idea what you call them in English, in Dutch it's rouwvarenmugjes. I drowned the potting soil mix in cooking water, that wasn't enough to battle any lurking eggs, ready to hatch? 😤

sciaridae = fungus gnats - nasty little buggers
Yea... we live in BummFrick Nowhere.....PonyExpress delivery service....walmart is 45 miles away...same for the closest fast food joint...no food delivery of any sort....domino's is 45 miles away...
This is me as well - 45 minutes for a takeaway, by the time you get there and back you're not hungry any more.
50 minutes to the nearest garden store - probably just as well in my case :lol:

I do enjoy the peace and quiet though and wouldn't want to live in a city again

DMV - (Department of Motor Vehicle )
The need to make a appointment with them for things, while they have 5+ people behind the counter and only serving 2-3 at a time.
Yet I could of been in /out done without their BS 1 day ago or 30mins ago waiting on appointment .
Seriously ....you need to make a appointment for your test......3 people doing NOTHING !!!!!....... come back next day ....4 people doing nothing !!!!!!!!!! F your appointment BS and wasting peoples times

Back