• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Your homegrown peppers may not be as hot!!

we all grow hot peppers and we all hope what they produce will be what we read but they most likely will not be as hot .
why????
well alot of what we grow come from parts of the world that we cannot replicate with our indoor grow lights and greenhouses.
I have grown peppers like jalapenos and cayenne that one year were very hot and the next could be eaten with a little ranch in a salad with no heat .
so your dorset naga bla bla whatever seeds may look like there cousins but they may not be as hot as you think.
this year I will be growing alot of superhots and I hope they pack the punch that they should...
have fun

Well that depends on your growing skills.
I'm sorry to say, but you can't complain that an environment where you can control everything, is not what the plant needs to produce hot pods. :neutral:
Have you ever thought that maybe (but just maybe) the results aren't the same, because your "replication" of conditions is not good enough?

If you want hotter pod than you may need to stress your plant. I leave certain hotties in the greenhouse and let them dry out somewhat and this produces hotter peppers although non stressed peppers are hot enough for me and most people.

Here in North Texas last summer, we had an extremely wet season (I think it was 5th all time rain fall for the year). I think that too much water kept my peppers from getting really hot. They had fire to them but not what I expected. The hottest one I grew was the Caribbean Red Hab...

I'm pretty shure with the good light, room & fertilizer you can grow hottest pepper than outside ....just imagine how big juicy and hot a pod of naga can be under a 1000w HPS in a aero/ultrasonic grow room :hell:...probably a lot hotter than one in the nature !

I too am of the opinion that sunlight is best, but with enough money you can come pretty close indoors while controlling other important variables. the only thing is if you don't have that money to spend then you never will get the extra heat out of growing peppers in, say, a canadian environment.
but a naga will never be a jalapeno. this could actually be a reason why we have to keep breeding hotter chile, so that when we grow them at home in our less then perfect conditions what we get still has decent heat.

If you have a lot of money, or maybe you get free electricity (like the Electric Company employees here), Xenon arc is the way to go! :party:
50KW (or even more!) of pure light! just remember to put your sun glasses first. :cool:

POTAWIE said:
Indoors/hydro you can control many variables but nothing beats real sunlight in my opinion.

ok ok not for cheap ...but If you put 10x 1000w (with cool tube)in a room of 4x4x6foot with 1 plant inside the room it will probably beat the sun light !? of course , this is totaly stupid to do it because it will cost you a lot of money and probably burn your house:oops:...but it's just an exemple

...for me the sun is just a source of light and heat so I don't know why you can't beat it with an artificial light ?

Omri said:
If you have a lot of money, or maybe you get free electricity (like the Electric Company employees here), Xenon arc is the way to go! :party:
50KW (or even more!) of pure light! just remember to put your sun glasses first. :cool:

i have neither of those things...

rainbowberry said:
My Cayennes last year had no heat at all and tasted like an uncooked pea.

Omri said:
Well that depends on your growing skills.
I'm sorry to say, but you can't complain that an environment where you can control everything, is not what the plant needs to produce hot pods. :neutral:
Have you ever thought that maybe (but just maybe) the results aren't the same, because your "replication" of conditions is not good enough?
I don't doubt you there Omri at all but it was my first attempt at growing anything (apart from cress on loo roll as a kid) so even to get a pod that tasted like an uncooked pea was an achievement for me last year.

Try and err will get you there, but I'm more of a planning guy.
I believe everything can perfected with detailed plans.

My Habaneros were grown in the same room though and did really well, you'd think Annuums would do better with the summer we had in England last year. I'm still picking ripe peppers off my Hab plants a year later. It's definitely trial and error, more error with the Cayennes last year though.

I've always found that seeds I purchased from a reputable supplier/nursery were as hot or hotter than store varieties. This may be due to the fact that they selectively breed their seed plants, so you are pretty sure you will get something similar to the mother plant. If you buy peppers in a grocery store and try to grow the seed, there is no telling what the mother plant was pollinated with, and you can end up with something entirely different from the mother plant....just speaking from experience.

well that's just it, stuff that's grown for grocery stores are selected for crop size and reliability not quality. it's the same reason why store bought tomatoes taste like nothing while the ones you grow yourself have actual flavour...

Back