• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

YOUR Must Have Peppers..........

As I lose my noobishness, I realize that a garden full of super burners is not best:mouthonfire:. A good blend is important:).

Unlike AJ, I don't have permission to dig up the whole yard and just grow some of everything.;) I am limited to 30 plants.

My MUST have's are:

Frank's Hot Sweet
Jalapenos (I need ripe red ones to make my smoked red jap powder)
Nagas
Purira
Paprika

What are your tried and true? I really will take these suggestions seriously when planning next season. Thanks!!

Cheezy...I don't know how hot the puriras are but it seems you jumped from medium heat to nuclear with the naga...I truly would add two to your list....a scotch bonnet type (somewhere around 100K SHU) and a hab type (somwewhere between 250 and 500K)...that will give you a pretty good range and a few more peppers...JMO Cheezy...

cheezydemon said:
As I lose my noobishness, I realize that a garden full of super burners is not best:mouthonfire:. A good blend is important:).

Unlike AJ, I don't have permission to dig up the whole yard and just grow some of everything.;) I am limited to 30 plants.

My MUST have's are:

Frank's Hot Sweet
Jalapenos (I need ripe red ones to make my smoked red jap powder)
Nagas
Purira
Paprika

What are your tried and true? I really will take these suggestions seriously when planning next season. Thanks!!

Yes,I love smoking Jal's also,I'm wondering if you smoke the Paprika also?I have some great smoked Paprika I ordered from Spain and I'd love to replicate it.I'd have to agree with AJ on the Scotch Bonnets,probably at least a couple of colors-very versatile Chile

I definitely agree with must have japalenos they are good all around. I also have my crossed peter pepper/hanoi red which are great kinda thin walled but really good. This is my first year growing super hots and I will grow the Cumaria Ou Passarhino again, they have really good heat and good flavor and very prolific growers and producers. I will also grow Naga Morrich for this is what I been using in my home made hot sauce and the taste is mmmmmmmmmmmm. I want the fatlli next year for sure for the taste I bveen hearing about. And the final one is the chocalate hab I grew this one and the flovor is great, the heat was just awesome, I smoked some of these and concocted a sauce and the results were great good flavor up front and then the heat comes on and stays almost like the naga but not as extreme. Hope this helps and its just my own taste buds with the lab rats at work that I experiment on (if they only knew lol)

Must haves for me are poblanos(red and brown), Anaheims, jalapenos, fresnos, Scotch bonnets, Fatalii, and chocolate C.chinense(not sure which type is my fav yet)

I'd always grow some Cayenne type pepper and a few varities with little heat, but loads of flavor like Champion and Lombardo. Of course, some hotties, too but those have been mentioned a lot already.

i agree cheezy i figured for next season to clean up my act and plant what i originally loved about growing chiles habs! i went for superhots and new things i never tried before got some awesome hits but lacked the love that i have for a regular ol orange hab. on my short list of MUSTS for next year

Pablano Lots of Pablanos
Orange Hab
J. Scotch Bonnet
my weird bumpy mini naga thing chile whatever. i have to come up with a name for it but it tastes good and with the seeds is pretty darn hot.

Must have:

Scotch Bonnets
Orange Habs
White Habs
Aribibi Gusano
Datil
Antillais Caribbean

Is there a certain amount I'm meant to choose? Oh well..

Rocotos
Chocolate Habs
Peach Habs
Lemon Habs

cheezydemon said:

Okay! I'm going through a bit of a metamorphosis, myself. I've been growing peppers in my garden for about 15 years and have always had some fairly typical peppers: Jalapenos, Cayennes, etc. But this year I also have some Super-Hots and a better hab assortment. I've decided that next year I am going to have only Super-Hots or the very hot hab selection. My new outlook on life is, why am I wasting space in my garden (which is very, very small, after all) growing peppers I can buy at Safeway? And they're not even costly! I can even get Orange Habs at a local produce market that's not far from my home. But, I can't get Seven Pots or Scorpions or ... you get the picture! Just my viewpoint.:)

Must have I gues one of those below:
Arivivi/Aribibi Gusano,Rocoto's,Fatalii red/yellow,Salmon,Tiger teeth,Caiene,Peach habanero,Scotch Bonnet,Habanero Cappuccino,Pimenta de Neyde,Red Drop,Red Dominican habanero,Tabago seasoning,Chocolate habanero,Barbados,Thai's,Cayenne any kind,Peperocini,Bulgarian carrot,Brazilian Malagueta,Omnicolor & list goes on....

AlabamaJack said:
Cheezy...I don't know how hot the puriras are but it seems you jumped from medium heat to nuclear with the naga...I truly would add two to your list....a scotch bonnet type (somewhere around 100K SHU) and a hab type (somwewhere between 250 and 500K)...that will give you a pretty good range and a few more peppers...JMO Cheezy...

Don't get me wrong, I love the super burn of the naga, I just want some mild tasty ones too!

scoville said:
Yes,I love smoking Jal's also,I'm wondering if you smoke the Paprika also?I have some great smoked Paprika I ordered from Spain and I'd love to replicate it.I'd have to agree with AJ on the Scotch Bonnets,probably at least a couple of colors-very versatile Chile

I have found that even powdered red bell peppers make great paprika. I have given up trying to get "real" paprikas.

Any mild red pepper with good sweet flavor is a good paprika.

POTAWIE said:
Must haves for me are poblanos(red and brown), Anaheims, jalapenos, fresnos, Scotch bonnets, Fatalii, and chocolate C.chinense(not sure which type is my fav yet)

Right on! What do you do with poblanos? Rellenos?

rainbowberry said:
Must have:

Scotch Bonnets
Orange Habs
White Habs
Aribibi Gusano
Datil
Antillais Caribbean

Is there a certain amount I'm meant to choose? Oh well..

Rocotos
Chocolate Habs
Peach Habs
Lemon Habs

Great answer! Thanks!

PrairieChilihead said:
Okay! I'm going through a bit of a metamorphosis, myself. I've been growing peppers in my garden for about 15 years and have always had some fairly typical peppers: Jalapenos, Cayennes, etc. But this year I also have some Super-Hots and a better hab assortment. I've decided that next year I am going to have only Super-Hots or the very hot hab selection. My new outlook on life is, why am I wasting space in my garden (which is very, very small, after all) growing peppers I can buy at Safeway? And they're not even costly! I can even get Orange Habs at a local produce market that's not far from my home. But, I can't get Seven Pots or Scorpions or ... you get the picture! Just my viewpoint.:)

My mistake this year was not growing any pepporoncinis, bells, and only 1 hot/sweet and 1 paprika.

All superhots is great for one year, side by side comparisons have caused me to phase out Golden Bullet habs, 7 pots (I think) and 1 or 2 others, but all super hots is NOT where it is at. You have too many that are too similar.

Jalapeno
Serrano
Ornamentals galore;
Little Elf
Purple Tiger
Aurora
Bolivian Rainbow
Medusa
Thai Hot orn.
Fatalii
Orange Hab
Some more...

If I was limited to only one pepper I could grow, it would be a Hungarian Hot Wax. Not very hot, but with some heat, especially when ripe. Long peppers, a heavy producer. I usually (okay - this year and last) get at least 20 6-8" peppers per plant, and I haven't been able to get them outside until the middle of June. Bad, since frost free is the middle of May.

Mike

I MUST have at least one New Mexico type or two or three, it varies each year.
Lately I am getting into the native NM chiles from the Pueblo Indians. They are smaller than the commercial varieties but have lots of flavor and are quite early producers.
No favorite variety so far but I must have FRESH green chile every year. If it's good red too that's a bonus.

I am working on my list of peppers that I really like and will grow next year.

Fatalli
Caribbean Red
Cayenne (a few different varieties)
Naga Morrich
Bhut Jolokia
Pasilla Bajio
Bulgarian Carrot
Hungarian Black
Romanian Hot
Aji Lemon
Poblano
Jalapeno
Serrano
Charleston Hot
Atomic Starfish
NuMex Big Jim
Hatch (if I can get them to grow)

A friend of mine found some wild peppers on his ranch in Texas when he was a kid and he gave me some of those and every seed has sprouted. They are some tipe of Piquin or Chiletepin. Great flavor and heat.

I am sure I will add some more. I am expanding my garden for next year.

well since potawie hasn't answered yet i'll tell you what i've done with pablanos.

yes they are really good as vessels for rellenos.
but defiantly not all

i like to dry them in a dehydrator to make powder(obviously) and this powder is sooo great. it's amazing what they smell and taste like as ancho powder. instead of making powder you can also dry them and make ancho chips soo tastey!!

back to rellenos, they are great inside a relleno with sateed shallots in wine, a soft cheese, and shitake mushrooms.
mmmm..

teh purple penguins said:
well since potawie hasn't answered yet i'll tell you what i've done with pablanos.

yes they are really good as vessels for rellenos.
but defiantly not all

i like to dry them in a dehydrator to make powder(obviously) and this powder is sooo great. it's amazing what they smell and taste like as ancho powder. instead of making powder you can also dry them and make ancho chips soo tastey!!

back to rellenos, they are great inside a relleno with sateed shallots in wine, a soft cheese, and shitake mushrooms.
mmmm..

I mixed some fresh Yellowtail with homemade salas, jalapenos, mushrooms and cheese then stuffed the Poblanos and baked them. Really tasty.

Back