• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pusa jwala

Anyone on here ever tried this one?
I hear it has great flavor (like apples) and some heat!!!
Any opinions on how this would compliment hot sauce?

Trying to track down seeds in North America.

Thanks
Kim

I love em, they fruit like crazy, taste great, and look great too.

They are used a lot in curries etc, I'm going to make an indian chilli pickle when a few more of mine a ripe.

They sell them everywhere around here. Great to eat raw or blended with some olive oil, garlic and jalapenos.

It's hard to find them ripe though, they sell them green. If i find them ripe i'd be happy to send some seeds your way.

Gar said:
I love em, they fruit like crazy, taste great, and look great too.

They are used a lot in curries etc, I'm going to make an indian chilli pickle when a few more of mine a ripe.
=========================
Sounds like you're pusa whipped. ;)

Seriously, I've never heard of them before. That's one of the reasons I frequent this board. I learn alot.

i love them !

if i need to mellow down from the Bhuts ill eat them instead... and yes you can buy them anywhere... very popular, they are also called Finger Hots..i think..lol

Fire Angel said:
Anyone on here ever tried this one?
I hear it has great flavor (like apples) and some heat!!!
Any opinions on how this would compliment hot sauce?

Trying to track down seeds in North America.

Thanks
Kim

Hey Kim,

what is it you are looking regarding seeds ?

i have a few i can send to you, what are you after ?

You are the reason I am looking for seeds ya crazy Aussie!!!!
I saw the video you made.
I may have to send you some of my hot sauce in the fall!:hell:

Take care Neil

Kim

theHippySeedCo said:
here is the test i did of them, think they are the most widely grown chilli in India as well, i can see why tooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvdJNBKfvr4&feature=channel_page

and yea Appleish..

my Favorite non super hot.. just crossed it with a superchilli and call it THSC SuperPusa

i may be mistaken about Pusa Jwala being called ' finger hots '.... i just looked at Neils ( The Hippy seed company ) video again and discovered that they do look alike but may infact be different.. can anyone tell me more about ' finger hots ' ? please... i eat finger hots all the time and love them... i always thought they were Pusa Jwala... help..

I thought I would resurrect this thread. Just tried my first Pusa Jwalas last night. I cut them up fresh and green and used them as a condiment alongside some grilled chicken. They had some good heat for an annuum, and good pungent green chili flavor (My wife and I like the flavor of green chilis). Better than other cayenne/de arbol types that I've tried. I got the seed from seedsofindia.com The plants are growing fast and bushy and are quite prolific, they grow similar to a De Arbol meaning they have a "tree shape". I'll try and post a pick sometime in the future.

I grew the Baker Creek "India Jwala" for 2 seasons: big, healthy, bushy plants, with lots of pods, like you said, but mine never really developed much heat or flavor. I really wanted to like them, being a more exotic version of Cayenne...

Maybe yours is a different variety?

Edit: Okay, I'm a doofus. Just re-read your post. I'll leave my photo up anyway, for comparison.

Jwala 05Nova2010.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pic exactly the texture of your pods, but I think mine are much more wrinkled? They definitely have heat, but less than a green thai or birdseye type.

Here is my plant from last season. Got my seeds from the Chiliman I believe. Pods were very hot for an annuum and I liked them fro drying into powders.

LateJunepods009.jpg

They're not available in any supermarkets here, except for every once in a great while. I didn't like them, practically zero heat, and they tasted like grass. I might like the ripe ones better though.

It's hard to tell from the pic exactly the texture of your pods, but I think mine are much more wrinkled? They definitely have heat, but less than a green thai or birdseye type.

There was very little wrinkling. The heat was mild, like a tiny Anaheim.

Here is my plant from last season. Got my seeds from the Chiliman I believe. Pods were very hot for an annuum and I liked them fro drying into powders.

LateJunepods009.jpg

Nice plant, Mike. The leaves on yours seem larger, and at no time were the pods on my plants erect. Also, yours have that characteristic wrinkling at the stem end.

They're not available in any supermarkets here, except for every once in a great while. I didn't like them, practically zero heat, and they tasted like grass. I might like the ripe ones better though.

Yours sound exactly like the ones I grew. The ripe pods had no flavor either.

Back