• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

15 Super Hots----1 Week

I recently purchased the following assortment of fresh peppers from Silver Surfer:

7 Pod Brown
7 Pod Primo
7 Pod SR strain
Barrackpore
Bih Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut
Douglah
Douglah X Scorpion Red
Douglah X Scorpion Red #2
Douglah X Scorpion Brown
Fatalii
Infinity
Naga Morich
Scorpion Butch T
Scorpion Morouga

My intent is to sample each while they are still fresh. Each sample consists of half a pod cut lengthwise from stem to end. The seeds will be removed for future use but all of the placenta will be left intact. The plan is to chew for a minimum of 10 seconds and then to do my best not to consume fluids. The "not consume fluids" thing is unrealistic but I'll give it my best.

I should mention that all of my experience with super hots has been limited to red bhuts. To date I've consumed 6 of them whole and raw and each time I've handled it like a wussy school girl.

Butch T
The package arrived today and I decided to start with the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. The pods were small but looked vicious. They were an angry red color, had a highly mottled texture and possessed nasty looking stingers. When I cut the pod open I saw a tremendous amount of placenta and a great number of seeds. Everything was coated with a naughty looking oil. It really looked like some kind of demonic 3D maze. Oh yeah, the smell was intimidating.

The taste was very pleasant. It was fruity and had a sweet citrus undertone. The heat started out very tolerable but it steadily increased for quite awhile. At the 3rd minute mark the pain had become unpleasant but I was still hanging in there. By the 4 minute mark I was in agony. Very soon thereafter I ran to the kitchen and started chugging milk out of the gallon jug. My tongue and throat were positively on fire. I felt it in me entire mouth but the tongue and throat were the hardest hit.

Up until the 16 minute mark I gargled with milk and drank water. Around that time the pain had subsided to the point where it felt bearable. The red bhuts hit me harder but only because the volume of my 1/2 Butch T sample was so much less than of a large, whole bhut. On a gram per gram basis the extra heat of the Butch T is definitely noticeable.

The pepper was awesome. I intend to grow this strain next year and definitely look forward to using it in an ultra hot sauce.

Nice review. I love Butch T's flavor as well. Looking forward to reading more of your opinions. I would recommend trying the Brown 7, SR 7, and Chocolate Bhut sooner than later... 15 supers in 1 week is very hard to do and you may loose some motivation as the week progresses not to mention the peppers may start getting soft.

you may also loose some intestinal integrity as the week of testing proceeds... However, good luck, keep us updatd on your progress.

Nice review. I love Butch T's flavor as well. Looking forward to reading more of your opinions. I would recommend trying the Brown 7, SR 7, and Chocolate Bhut sooner than later... 15 supers in 1 week is very hard to do and you may loose some motivation as the week progresses not to mention the peppers may start getting soft.

Beaglestorm, your reviews are awesome. It blows me away that you can be so articulate in the face of the hottest peppers on earth. I'm thrilled that you're getting a kick out of my reviews. The Brown 7 is indeed a little soft so I'll make that my after dinner snack.

My hat is off to you. Echoing the other's remarks, thats a tall order. I usually loose steam after 3 or 4. Then the samples get smaller and further in between. But anyways, great review of the Butch! How did your stomach feel afterwards?

I also try to avoid liquids, not because I wanna live through the pain, but because they never seem to help. Usually after 10mins or so all is well, except for the stomach.

But ill definitely stay tuned for more reviews! Keep em coming.

Matt

I must have done way too many drugs in my ill spent youth as the challenge of figuring out the multi-quote feature is proving to be overwhelming. To that end I'll just do a mass reply and basically say:

I eat spicy food everyday but I've never done anything like this before. If it becomes too much I may have to extend the 7 days to say 9 or 10 but I'm really going to try to avoid that. After this Brown 7 is out of the way the rest of my peppers will all be in pristine condition. I'd like to eat as many of them in this condition as possible.

So far I'm feeling fine which is good considering I ate a small bhut this morning. I had assumed that the package would arrive on Tuesday. The unfortunate result of my stupidity is a 3 pepper day. We'll see how my stomach feels after this next one.

I can definitely see problems with motivation and intestinal fortitude as the week progresses. As for now I'm having a blast. As long as I don't end up shooting blanks with a colostomy bag I say let the good times roll. I'll post a little later this evening on my experience with the Brown 7. Thanks everyone for following along.

Brown 7 Pot
The exterior of the Brown 7 was attractive but what really was beautiful was the interior. The walls are somewhat fleshy and there was a stark delineation between the darker exterior and the lighter creamy interior. The inner chamber seemed to slightly glisten.

I liked the taste of the pepper but I wasn't blown away by it. Although there was a slightly fruity taste to the pepper it seemed more earthy to me. The overall flavor was somewhat muted unlike that of the TS Butch T which was pronounced and almost explosive.

The heat of the pepper was primarily relegated to my tongue. This was much appreciated as all of my previous super hot consumption had resulted in my throat being utterly scorched. The heat grew for 3 minutes and then seemed to hit a plateau which lasted another 2 to 3 minutes. The heat was intense but manageable. I actually succeeded in abstaining from any fluid consumption. Approximately 12 minutes after consumption my mouth felt warm but the pain had all but subsided.

On an unrelated note I didn't wear gloves. I washed my hands thoroughly afterwards but alas, that wasn't enough. I took a piss prior to writing this. The below the waste burn is almost as bad as the mouth burn. A rookie mistake to be sure.

On a final note, my stomach is slightly upset (an hour after ingestion) but it's hard to tell whether or not to attribute that to the Brown 7 or the cumulative effects of today's pepper consumption.

ive made that rookie mistake more than once :rofl: good review though. good look on :cool: your journey through the superhots

Nice to hear they arrived and you're having fun with them. :)

I'm looking forward to your encounter with the rest of the pods. ;)

I just hope you make it through this fiery marathon well tempered and unscathed. :mouthonfire:

I really do need to get a pair of gloves. Without them I'm bound to either repeat or get some oil on/in another sensitive region such as my eyes. Perhaps I'll venture out this afternoon and pick up a pair. I'm assuming that latex may impart an off taste to the peppers?

Yep SS, the package did indeed arrive. BTW, thanks for the freebies. The peppers are certainly providing for quite the gustatory adventure.

My stomach was a little upset when I woke up this morning. Yesterday I had consumed a small bhut and plenty of ultra hot powders in my meals in addition to the Butch T and Brown 7 samples. My stomach now feels completely fine. With the exception of my fresh pepper samples I plan on keeping my food mild today. I think that by spacing the samples out and not over-doing other heat sources I should be OK. We'll see as the week progresses.

I think I'm going to take a piss now and AFTERWARDS cut into a delightful SR 7. Let the good times roll...

I just wanted to make a suggestion to help with the stomach distress that often comes with eating many supers. Before you eat them have something really starchy. I use top ramen and/ or flour tortillas. I have found that this helps me consume more peppers without the stomach discomfort so I can enjoy more fresh pods.

I just wanted to make a suggestion to help with the stomach distress that often comes with eating many supers. Before you eat them have something really starchy. I use top ramen and/ or flour tortillas. I have found that this helps me consume more peppers without the stomach discomfort so I can enjoy more fresh pods.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try that for my next pepper.

Slight change of plans. I was delving into my pepper treasure trove looking for the lovely SR 7 when I noticed that my Barrackpore seemed ever so slightly soft. The SR 7 seemed very firm and more of a deep orange than an angry red. I decided that the SR 7 could wait and promptly changed my menu selection.

I don't want to get overly redundant stating that each pepper looked cool/scary. Just about each and every pepper looks that way. The Barrackpore would have looked shockingly scary to me a couple of months ago but I feel that I'm becoming a little desensitized to the appearance of the super hots. I guess what I'm trying to say in a most long winded manner is that the pepper looked cool but it's competing in a tough crowd.

When I cut the pepper open I was greeted by an awesome smell. The pepper had a strong smell that was both sweet and invigorating. I spent roughly a minute just smelling the pepper. Now when I cut the pepper in half one section was not just larger but contained the vast majority of the placenta. I went with the larger, more placenta heavy half.

The heat hit me fast and strong. Up to now all of the super hots that I've consumed had started out being very manageable and slowly worked up in intensity. This one started out really strong and seemed to hit a peak approximately 2 minutes after I swallowed. The burn was everywhere in my mouth and throat. Even my cheeks felt warm.

I drank ice water but I didn't freak out and start gargling with olive oil or doing anything over the top. Tears poured out of my eyes and my nose ran. Roughly 8 minutes after swallowing the pepper the pain subsided to the point where it was manageable. I really liked this pepper's heat. On a side note, my stomach feels fine.

I'm inclined to revisit this one but this time without the placenta. Because the heat hit me so hard and fast I didn't really get a good sense of the pepper's taste. I'll do that this afternoon.

It would help if I had a digital gram scale. As the size of my samples varies pretty greatly I'd like to be able to minimize my "apples to oranges" comparisons.

I went back and re-tasted the Barrackpore without any placenta. The taste was sweet and cherry like. I'd certainly give the Barrackpore high marks for both heat and flavor. An awesome pepper to be sure.

Great reviews! Sounds like your getting used to em. Wait, next week youll reach for the hotsauce and dump half a bottle on your tacos before you even realize there MAY be something spicy on the plate!

I cant wait to hear more.

Matt

Back