• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2-3 plants per one pot

Was curious if anyone has ever tried to grow more than 1 plant per pot say 2-3 plants of the same strain in one 7 gallon or bigger pot? If so does this greatly diminish the overall vigor and production of the plants? It seems one year I bought some starts and one of the Habies was 2 in 1 and it grew into a monster. Granted it was in the grown but it was very prolific. Again just curious....

In my experience, 2 or 3 plants in one large pot will work, but they will most likely produce about the same as one plant in the same pot.

I placed 2-3 seeds per pellet to ensure some growth and now I've got multiple plants in 7 of them, so I hope that they produce like yours, Spanky!

I have had luck separating the ones that do double up in a pellet. I have had bonus ones in a flat that I have pulled apart and they did well too. The times I left them next to each other, they seem to fight it out with one plant being dominate and the other turning into a runt.

In my experience, 2 or 3 plants in one large pot will work, but they will most likely produce about the same as one plant in the same pot.

I had the exact same situation last year after multiple seeds sprouted in one of my pots. Both plants were happy, but they produced about the same amount of pods as one plant would have.

Hello Spankycolts... They will indeed be smaller and produce the same as 1 plant. I have found that to be the case as well. I think perhaps double a late season Habanero overwinter, then the next season separate the 2,you would have a crazy harvest !!!

I agree with Muskymojo 2 plants does not always mean more pods.

I also think having 2 plants together means more foliage for bugs to
hide in and all those extra leaves restrict wind/fresh air blowing through
the plant if you are growing them in a greenhouse.

You can grow more than one in a container, I use several 18gal tubs with 3 plants in each. No problem with bugs, airflow or sunscald. Plants varied per variety in height from 3ft to 6ft. I'd recommend only one plant per smaller container, unless you need to plant different types and your lacking space....as with my grow. Heard of the square ft garden....mine is the sq in......just kiddin
good luck with your grow

Greg

In my experience one plant per pot usually gives you the best harvest. Unless you're using 18 gallon tubs. :halo:

JIm Duffy (habanero500) grows 3 (I think) per 25 gallon container and gets pretty good yield....

What exactly is this 'clumping' technique that I've heard of then? Isn't it just planting more plants in the same pot? I've heard it can produce really strong and productive plants.

What exactly is this 'clumping' technique that I've heard of then? Isn't it just planting more plants in the same pot? I've heard it can produce really strong and productive plants.

Check out Neil's site at TheHippySeedCo
Greg

I see no incentive to growing multiples in one pot unless it is all that you have to work with. I had an app. 8gal decorative planter pot that I put in the front flower bed last year. In it I had 3 Black Pearls for some color contrast to the flowers. I had two extra Pearls that I put out back in my garden (couldnt just kill the lil guys!) The two out back were 3ft tall and the ones in the planter were MAYBE 18in......
Granted the pot was not huge, one may have done better. I found a 50gal pot/tub that had a tree in it. Might try three in that just to experiment.

Its nearly pointless to grow multiple plants in one container, unless you're getting into a whole other category of container ( raised beds or HUGE 300 gallon plus ). I can produce more peppers with one plant than the ten I could slam in the container. Besides, it is literally putting all your eggs in one basket. Something goes wrong...its all over.

All great points .. for me the consideration was based on space. Sounds like there is no upside whatsoever. Well back to the drawing board thanks!

Check out Neil's site at TheHippySeedCo Greg

I checked the site and found nothing. I even sent them an email many months ago asking about this, but never received a reply. Is there anywhere else to get some info on this? I know there was a thread on clumping here, but the link posted doesn't work anymore. Please help!

There would be obvious genetic advantages in terms of pollen directions- distributional and evolutionary improvement of the plant. They would compete only the fittest would survive. Assuming seeds were from different suppliers,towns, countries, etc. In terms of survivability- the pods would- should give you the best seeds. The chances of survival when a sickness struck, might be better two- too, he he . Therefore, there area few outright advantages- pollination, variation, evolution and survival. It might make them more- less delicious too. For the bugs too.

I checked the site and found nothing. I even sent them an email many months ago asking about this, but never received a reply. Is there anywhere else to get some info on this? I know there was a thread on clumping here, but the link posted doesn't work anymore. Please help!
Sorry,
From what I can remember, It was on one of the pepper eating video's......bhut jolokia?

I remember that video, but they just talk about a plant that was grown using the clumping method and promise to talk more about that later, but the video ends before they do.

Oh well. I'm growing 9 Thai Birds in one large pot at the moment, so will see how that goes.

Back