• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2016 garden will you have more or less peppers ?

Jackson13 said:
I had 70 pepper plants this year cutting back to 40 and adding  20 different kinds of tomatoes.
Yes same here decreasing the peppers and adding more tomatoes, tomatillo, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, strawberries.

Doing more peppers this year. But I am focusing on what I like. Already have Caramel Bhut, Caramel Moruga, Bih Jolokia and Indian Carbon Germinated and growing under the LED's until plant out. Planing on adding the Fatalli, MOA Bonnett and Bahamian Goat and 7 pot Burgundy to the mix when the season changed around March.

SavinaRed said:
in Florida you can grow all year long correct ?

Most of Florida you can.We get really cold weather around here.Those that live in Miami and areas near by there can.I will be able to shortly with lights. :party:  

I had 125 plants this year with 40 varieties with a few surprises as usual.  Next year I think I am gonna shoot for 150 plants with 30 varieties. 

I think I have this superhot thing out of my system (for now) so might experiment with some milder types next year for tapas, smoking and powders. Grew about 70 varieties this year in pots. Maybe 30 in ground next season and get back into growing a lot of other fruit and vegetables. I get a kick out of growing the superhot seedlings though, so may keep some running stock to give away / swap for beer.

I am increasing slightly from 24 plants to maybe 32 plants.  I had 12 varieties this year, but I am cutting the variety to 8 types.  I will have half chocolate type super-hots, and the other half will be milds like Aji Rainforest (if I can find seeds) and New Mexico chiles.

I'm going from close to 80 plants down to about a dozen. I just don't have time at the moment to manage that many again

My 2016 grow will be more refined the theme will be scotch bonnet varieties & baccatums
I have ordered more tomato varieties to complement my peppers & some to sell at the local farmers market.
I will not grow any super hots next year my over winters are Yellow Moa,Red Moa,Aji penec & Hawaii Beach.
I will use some saved Yellow Moa seed OP & saved Aji Penec OP .
There is a good chance the aji penec is crossed aji melocoton & aji brazilian starfish was very close by .
I will try & keep the number down & sell extras at the farmers market .
I hope to get the apple pheno form the red moa again if so I will says seed next year & grow out.

I will cut down to at least half of the plants than this year - I had about 300 / almost 40 varieties. I intend to cut down to 15 varieties - to the ones I really liked - and add about 10 (max 15) varieties I have not grown yet to the list, just to satisfy my curiosity. Gonna stick more to the Habaneros, a few different super hots for sauces and powder and some annums/frutescens... for snacks....
So overall, less peppers and hopefully not much less yield.
Will see if I'll manage to follow the plans :)

Growing about 25 large plants this year, which is limited to table-top space available and my willingness to shuffle the plants according to weather conditions.  I don't think this number will increase (we all say that...), but going into year 3, I finally have a good list of "must grow" varieties.

Rough plan:

Will grow at least 3 Cap 267s (Thanks Coheed, this is the most awesome pepper in the freaking Universe!), one or two Bishop's Hat, Braz Starfish, and at least one each of  Aji Colorado, Verde, Amarillo, and Angelo.  Plus a few new Baccatum.  (Dede de Moca sounds killer, but is damn rare!)  Will definitely keep Inca Red Drop plant, they're cool.

Nu-Mex 6-4H, Big Jim, plain Bell. Will replant several of Judy's Syrian/Turkish varieties. (I lost all this year.)  Need to replenish soil of existing L.T. Cayenne. 

Red Fatalii, YBS/O7P, Bij-J, and Bande ma Jacques plants will be 3, and will get the bigger pot they deserve.  Will likely keep 1st year Yellow Fatalii.
Will add several likely sounding medium hot Chinense that arrived on a recent train.  Will give/sell big Moruga plant.  It didn't produce much of anything this year.

For my spring season planting, I plan on ripping out 5 mature plants to build raised beds, one of which will be for peppers. I'll likely plant at least 10 in there. I've picked up Mayan love chiles and Aji cristal to plant (both Baccatums) and I'll plant some MOA yellows and some different anuums in there. Probably more poblano hybrids or NuMex Sunsets as they're versatile. Peruvian rocotos are going into the bed I'm building this weekend. It is directly under a large tree--should be perfect rocoto territory. My goal is to have around 25-30 mature plants at once.

Geonerd said:
Of course we all know how quickly the "I'm reducing next year" plans tend to go to hell...   :D
Yep. I am in the same boat. Last year I had around 40 plants, this year in the 80 neighborhood. I said that that was it. I was going to restrict myself to 40 plants maximum again for year three. I too have a fair amount of powder left from last year, so froze this years harvest to use 'fresh', rather than ground. Also, I too said I would grow more milder varieties next year to try something different. Well, every morning I wake up after saying that, I think, 'what the hell did I say'? So I am again planning to do a big grow in 2016. Just more varieties, and the old trusted ones. Why do I keep lying to myself? Anyone else share this problem? 

I am building a new greenhouse just for peppers. I will be adding 250 plants for next year that will start producing by February. I tried a few types this year that I won't grow again, and I will probably try the same amount of new ones for next year. As an example, Aji peach, Duffy's chocolate brain, and BBM are out, and MA Wartryx, Cappy's chocolate brains, and Aji Jobito are in.
I will just be adding more plants of the favorites like reapers. I will grow 4 times more reapers, and 3 times the promos. I will also grow more bhutlahs now that I have gone through my first extra generation to stabilize what I like. Of course, I am selling peppers and just want to have enough for everyone who asks for peppers. Tom

Back