• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2016 garden will you have more or less peppers ?

Indeed things don't always go as planned. I bought 25 more 10 gallon grow bags and still have 15- 7 gallon from last season I didn't use and I added 2 more 4x4 raised beds for next year on top of the existing in ground real estate for peppers and other veggies. 

I've not been growing before but am looking to fill the family greenhouse. Since I can get ghost, scorpion and reaper easily enough anyway, I'll be looking to grow more for flavour than for heat, with things likeTrinidad Perfume and Aji Pineapple in there. I'm also considering white Fatali so that I can make a pina colada sauce using no pineapple, coconut or rum, if you get what I'm planning.

i wouldnt say more or less, however, i'm going to get some yellow and chocolate reapers from pepper joe to try out!!! 

i'm also getting some more raised beds from some friends going to be doing a ton more this next year :)  

hopefully pasta sauce is making its introduction next year!!!!!!  

I had a horrible year this year with maybe 30 plants, 5-6 varieties surviving.  Bought the house we were renting so now I have ramped up production. Bought a sweet greenhouse/hoophouse  online and now have 150 seedlings popped in a spare room in the house, out of around 40 varieties..planning on >175  plants this year. I did 200 plants a couple years ago and yes it was hard work, but well worth it. All container growing. Hoping for huge progress this year and for many more years. My name is Andrew and yes I have an addiction.

Got to admit that my enthusiasm is at an all time low.  The ~2 dozen plants I have are pale from the cold and depleted soil, and I've rapidly grown tired of hauling them indoors or covering them on freezing nights.  With warmer weather scheduled for the next week, many of the remaining pods should ripen.  After that, I think I'll save just a bare handful of favorites from the next cold snap.  I used to feel strongly about saving or adopting away my green friends, but now the demise of a plant no longer seems such a tragedy.  I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.  

Spring seems a long ways off.  I have little enthusiasm at the moment, but will no doubt start some seeds in March or so.  If nothing else, more Cap267, A. Angelo and Amarillo are mandatory - they make utterly awesome salsa.   If they do well, the addiction will likely return.  If not (I lost a buttload to asshole birds last year), I might coast with the favorites and call it "good enough."

Do others go through a Winter Wilt?  ;)

midwestchilehead said:
Definitely less. I had 180 plants this year, and that is too many for me to keep up with. I'm still processing seeds, and have three refrigerators full of pods to go. My plant for next year is 60 plants, tops.
wow 3 refrigerators full of pods that's an insane amount of pods

Geonerd said:
If not (I lost a buttload to asshole birds last year), I might coast with the favorites and call it "good enough)
Built a bird-resistant structure for your plants. I did mine with chicken wire I could lift easily. Another AZ grower builds a large tent by putting pvc pipes 7' tall in buckets of concrete and then drapes bird netting between them to cover their huge hab plants. Birds ate 4 of my plants to the soil this year and flew away with a pile of pods before I put up the chicken wire & put out the fake rattler. Solved the problem.

MarianneW said:
Built a bird-resistant structure for your plants. I did mine with chicken wire I could lift easily. Another AZ grower builds a large tent by putting pvc pipes 7' tall in buckets of concrete and then drapes bird netting between them to cover their huge hab plants. Birds ate 4 of my plants to the soil this year and flew away with a pile of pods before I put up the chicken wire & put out the fake rattler. Solved the problem.

I did bird netting for a while. It was a pain and I was always trying to get critters untangled from it. So many dead toads and injured birds. 

Thanks for the info! I figured the bird netting injured birds--I use chicken wire cages. No injured birds so far, 100% success with plant protection. The birds Geonerd & I deal with are highly protected so it's helpful to know that the bird netting is injuring the birds.

Back