• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2016 - JoeFish Arkansas Grown

I have wanted a garden for awhile now. So Sept. 2013 I picked out a spot and started working on my spot.  All the rest is history.

My grow list... Since I was skeptical about starting seeds I ordered plants.  Hopefully I will start everything myself next year.

A Picture of my Garden spot.  It is about 21' x 27'
1zv9186.jpg

And my soil test....
http://postimg.org/image/n09oi22fn/

I only see very few, and they show up at the end of August here. Though it seems the more years I garden, the more the bad guys show up. Yet another reason to end the garden early and plant the cover crops...Aphids, I don't see them until late August, and only on the peppers I choose to keep growing until a frost. I'm 50-50 on continuing doing so..

Devv said:
I only see very few, and they show up at the end of August here. Though it seems the more years I garden, the more the bad guys show up. Yet another reason to end the garden early and plant the cover crops...Aphids, I don't see them until late August, and only on the peppers I choose to keep growing until a frost. I'm 50-50 on continuing doing so..

So you think that whenever the bugs start showing up and ruining perfectly good tomatoes and peppers, call her off and plant cover crops?  That stinks Devv!!!!  These dang peppers take all season to get their mind right and start making goodies.  I got some Jalapenos that refuse to get red......  AHHHHH....

I know what you are saying just making it sound worse than it actually is.  If I could rewind I think I might have pulled my tomatoes late August and saved all my heartache.  They haven't bothered my peppers much though so Im glad they are there.

In other news my greens,beans,and lettuce are looking splendid!!!!!
Sawyer said:
Pick off every adult you see.  Monitor your plants closely and smash the eggs and/or recently-hatched nymphs.  I slacked off on them and they wound up killing all my squash vines.  Then migrated over and killed my late-planted short-season squash and cucumber as soon as they came up. 

Thanks Sawyer but I have kind of given up on my maters.... It is sad.  NEXT YEAR AWAITS THOUGH :surprised:
Anyone got any red jals or serranos?  I need some.

Loving the pictures, and glad to see you were able to get a dehydrator so you can enjoy them through the winter. I bet your freezer is overflowing too...Ill have a little something coming your way in about a week

beerbreath81 said:
Loving the pictures, and glad to see you were able to get a dehydrator so you can enjoy them through the winter. I bet your freezer is overflowing too...Ill have a little something coming your way in about a week
Yeah the drying stuff was a lot easier than I thought. Do you mix your powders any. I'm thinking about trying a few.

Anthony you would be so proud of me. I got me a ferment going, it's a Rooster sauce style and think its goin to be delicious.

ive only just started to experiment making mixes with my powders, So glad you started fermenting, the rooster sauce I'm sure will give you a flavor profile to be proud off....let us know how it turns out.

JoeFish said:

So you think that whenever the bugs start showing up and ruining perfectly good tomatoes and peppers, call her off and plant cover crops?  That stinks Devv!!!!  These dang peppers take all season to get their mind right and start making goodies.  I got some Jalapenos that refuse to get red......  AHHHHH....

I know what you are saying just making it sound worse than it actually is.  If I could rewind I think I might have pulled my tomatoes late August and saved all my heartache.  They haven't bothered my peppers much though so Im glad they are there.

Well here by early July the Tomatoes are done. All the fruit has ripened, and if any is left on the plants is small and won't ever reach a normal size. Don't forget my Tom's hit dirt in early March. By the time I plant them they're in 1 gal pots, I set them at the bottom, snip off the leaves so just the crown is there and fill the pot to the crown. As the plant grows above the rim of the pot I snip more leaves and add more dirt. By the time they hit the garden they have some flowers and are 12-15"s tall above the pot. I flood ditches to water as we don't get enough rain here, at dirt day I once again cut all the leaves except the crown and bury the roots and stem so just 3"s or so sticks out of the dirt. I lay them at a 45° angle so all the stem is in the ditch. All that buried stem is now turning to roots, and they grow like crazy. I need my peppers and Tom's setting fruit ASAP, or the heat puts the brakes on.

By mid to l late August the peppers are pretty spent. I can keep them running for a fall harvest, but then the bugs go nuts and the soil gets depleted. So I just plant more ;)  And then freeze them. I do have 12-15 plants still going in pots and a raised bed. I'm getting a "dribble" of pods, but we have enough fresh that I'm still freezing. Here it's almost October and they're starting to flower again.

You just have to figure out what works best for you, in your environment.

beerbreath81 said:
ive only just started to experiment making mixes with my powders, So glad you started fermenting, the rooster sauce I'm sure will give you a flavor profile to be proud off....let us know how it turns out.

I have pics of the progress on the hot sauce!  I will post them soon as I get time.

Devv said:

Well here by early July the Tomatoes are done. All the fruit has ripened, and if any is left on the plants is small and won't ever reach a normal size. Don't forget my Tom's hit dirt in early March. By the time I plant them they're in 1 gal pots, I set them at the bottom, snip off the leaves so just the crown is there and fill the pot to the crown. As the plant grows above the rim of the pot I snip more leaves and add more dirt. By the time they hit the garden they have some flowers and are 12-15"s tall above the pot. I flood ditches to water as we don't get enough rain here, at dirt day I once again cut all the leaves except the crown and bury the roots and stem so just 3"s or so sticks out of the dirt. I lay them at a 45° angle so all the stem is in the ditch. All that buried stem is now turning to roots, and they grow like crazy. I need my peppers and Tom's setting fruit ASAP, or the heat puts the brakes on.

By mid to l late August the peppers are pretty spent. I can keep them running for a fall harvest, but then the bugs go nuts and the soil gets depleted. So I just plant more ;)  And then freeze them. I do have 12-15 plants still going in pots and a raised bed. I'm getting a "dribble" of pods, but we have enough fresh that I'm still freezing. Here it's almost October and they're starting to flower again.

You just have to figure out what works best for you, in your environment.

That's good info right there!  Im want to get my tomatoes bigger next year before put them in the dirt and plant them like that too.  I planted out the first part of May this year.  When do you think I should start them?

The one in the green jar is red jals, garlic, brown sugar, ghost pepper salt, and regular kosher salt.

The clear jar is bishops crown, red Anaheim, 1 reaper, brown sugar, and kosher salt.

Does anyone have any reaper seeds they would like to sell me for next year? I've been burned twice now getting habs instead of reapers. I'd only need one plant, so say 5 seeds or so.

pvpaul7 said:
Does anyone have any reaper seeds they would like to sell me for next year? I've been burned twice now getting habs instead of reapers. I'd only need one plant, so say 5 seeds or so.

If I were you I would order seeds from chileplants.com.  I can vouch for them being the real deal.  If I sold you seeds they might be crossed. 

Nothing wrong with that Joe! Good looking soil.

I see you have Bermuda, isn't that a constant battle to keep out of the rows? I have eradicated about 99.9% out of the garden, I see it, I pull it. The only chem I use is roundup, and that's outside the garden fence. No mist in the spray just a weak stream so it won't drift. I keep a 24" perimeter sprayed (or try too). That stuff is mas invasive!

Give the Tom's at least 12 weeks before planting. They typically germ in less than 7 days here. They do get leggy as they outgrow the lights quickly, but all that gets buried anyway.

BTW: Nice looking ferments!

Nothing wrong with that Joe! Good looking soil.

I see you have Bermuda, isn't that a constant battle to keep out of the rows? I have eradicated about 99.9% out of the garden, I see it, I pull it. The only chem I use is roundup, and that's outside the garden fence. No mist in the spray just a weak stream so it won't drift. I keep a 24" perimeter sprayed (or try too). That stuff is mas invasive!

Give the Tom's at least 12 weeks before planting. They typically germ in less than 7 days here. They do get leggy as they outgrow the lights quickly, but all that gets buried anyway.

BTW: Nice looking ferments!
Thanks Devv that's high praise coming from you. The Bermuda is a pain in the neck, but I manage to keep n controlled with pure hate and determination. I also usea little roundup to help me out. Bermuda is such a pretty grass, and everyone here has it or some hybrid version.

I used to have a big problem with Bermuda, but finally got it under control.  There are a couple of spots around the garden perimeter where it keeps trying to creep back in, but I pay close attention and pull/dig it up.  I like it in the yard.

Sawyer said:
:P 
I used to have a big problem with Bermuda, but finally got it under control.  There are a couple of spots around the garden perimeter where it keeps trying to creep back in, but I pay close attention and pull/dig it up.  I like it in the yard.
I like it in the yard too Sawyer, its beautiful and tough... Like me :rolleyes:

great work in and out of the garden buddy, the ferments look really good. Like the red shot in the bowl....killer!! Maybe just a tad full but no worries, should have some bubblin action going on huh?

beerbreath81 said:
great work in and out of the garden buddy, the ferments look really good. Like the red shot in the bowl....killer!! Maybe just a tad full but no worries, should have some bubblin action going on huh?

Yeah she is bubbling.  Its a little more full than I would like...  Can/should I take some out?

You're not supposed to open once it's up and running. The possibility of introducing yeast, which creates a white scum on top could happen.

And yes place the bottles on a plate, so it won't hit your counter top in the event of an overflow..been there, done that ;)

Back