• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

Update on my part, after the 40ish degree heat a week or so ago these guys got a little messed up, but they're back up and running now.

Aji are in the middle tray closer to the camera :)
2e1bznn.jpg

KAOS said:
Haha. Isn't that one of those Aussie as f*** heat pads.

Keep it up Damien. After transplanting those are going explode with the good weather you having.
Yep, should be getting the 2nd planter box up and running soon. once that's done there will be no stopping me  :rofl:

karoo said:
Looking good.
Glad to see the gas is turned off. ;)

Haha, and at the bottle for extra safety  ;)

I'm not dead!!!!

(yet)

Yesterday is the half-way point of out little competition, so time for another score update:

NIL ALL

:rofl:

But KAOS is awfully close!

Meanwhile, my No.1, sown 6 months ago today, has not a single flower!

But No.2 was kind enough to give me a photo opportunity! :woohoo:

About bloody time! :rofl:

Here's a look at the two of them:

Seeing as its been so long, No. 1 is on left, No. 2 is on right.

No.1 wasn't really phased by its decapitation at all.

And the cut caused no problem either.

Good to see everyone else coming along nicely too, I think that the competition is going to be very, very close, and the winning pods will be pulled in May!

All The Best, TBG.

P.S I have a radical game plan up my sleeve, but....

Keep All Operations Secret

(I'm yet to come up with a TBG acronym :rofl:)

Well on that note here's a little half way update!

The potted model has a few more flowers on it now and.... my first POD!
e1EFPJFl.jpg

The in ground model is now flowering too!
IbGYkPIl.jpg

Its not as bushy as the potted one but with them both flowering, I really have no idea which one will perform best. At this stage it's gunna be a gamble which one I choose as the official entrant.

karoo said:
I have assumed that you haven't harvested yet , because then you have to pick your plant!?

Nothing picked yet, but plant choice will be down to one of two plants. They have the best structure out of the lot (in terms of potential nodes for pods).

The ripening pics are from plants in smaller pots or have been until going into the garden. I think pods and ripening are proportional to pot size.

If this is true then I'll be seeing flowers mid Jan and ripe pods by Mar. Not much time before frost then.

drathag said:

Its not as bushy as the potted one but with them both flowering, I really have no idea which one will perform best. At this stage it's gunna be a gamble which one I choose as the official entrant.

Good going Drathag

Pod is looking true and hopefully it's one of many for you.

Looking good!

Just a word on the plant selection/harvesting rules/procedures, seeing as we're about to see some happen.

a) You don't have to choose your plant until your first "registered" harvest.

b) You can harvest from any plant without it being "registered" in the competition.

c) You can "register" a plant that you have already begun harvesting, however, only the pods picked after "registering" are eligible to be counted towards your weigh-ins, i.e no backlogging.

Example: I have two plants, plant 1 and plant 2. Plant 1 is producing pods, but I prefer the growth pattern of plant 2, and intend on using it as my "registered" competition plant. So I start to harvest from plant 1. In a freak storm, plant 2 is destroyed. So I now "register" plant 1 as my competition plant, and begin recording its harvests. 

All pods I pick after registering can count towards my competition weight. However, I can't count the pods I picked before registering.

BUT once you have registered a plant, you cannot change plants. So don't register until you are sure. Although I'm sure exceptions could be made if your plants are destroyed by a storm, but we'll worry about that when we come to it.

Does that make sense to all? If anyone has any issues, voice them, if not, that's the way things will work!

Weight it ... that ones just a baby (and I left my scale at work)

Very juicy crunchy bite with a refreshing fruity taste and ever so slight bitterness.

Totally different flavour to any chilli I've eaten before and I like it.

Not as hot as I thought it would be, but I have been munching on the Citos and they pack a punch so it's all relative i guess.

Good work, Jarrod! Your description of the
aji's flavor and texture was right on. 

drathag said:

Those plants look great - growing like vines
and big leaves - classic Aji Amarillo!  

I'm enjoying seeing how the Ajis perform in
the Southern Hemisphere  :cool:  Can't wait to see
pics from the rest of the competition...

Seeing the progress you guys are making is getting me nervous.

My plant of choice (but not chosen yet) is only starting to get some flowers now so I'm about 3-4 weeks behind in reality.

Good going Drathag ... if that's your competition plant then I reckon you in the lead so far.

Back