• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

Sorry to hear about the breakage TBG.

At least it's just the top section so plant should be good as new in a couple of weeks.

Did you consider 'grafting' it at all? I had a tomato plant that broke just the same and I just taped it up and she healed no problem.

Good luck anyways and game is not over by a long shot ... humidity has kicked in and so have the aphids.

It's gonna be a long summer fighting bugs

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
:rofl:

Just found a bud in a fork on one of the side branches, so might not be as delayed as I thought... :hmm:
Grafting would've been a good idea that I wouldn't have thought of at the time.

I probably would've put rooting hormone on is and stuck it in some water with hopes people would still consider it the "same plant" lol. But, probably not. In any case I would've had an extra plant to harvest outside of the contest.

Good luck bouncing back though!

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
While inspecting/admiring the plants, I decided I didn't like one of the ties on Amarillo No.1, and prompt set about breaking it so I could retie it to my satisfaction. Rather than go to an grab a pair of scissors, I attempted to break the string with my hands. It worked, but it also throttled, cleanly cutting off the plant just below the first fork - so goodbye main stem and all the buds on it.

Ouch!  The plant will definitely bounce back and grow
like gangbusters, but it's a good reminder of the old
adage "Haste makes waste".  Wish I had a nickel for
every time I've learned that lesson!

PaulG said:

Ouch!  The plant will definitely bounce back and grow
like gangbusters, but it's a good reminder of the old
adage "Haste makes waste".  Wish I had a nickel for
every time I've learned that lesson!

Indeed! Luckily for me, the result of my haste doesn't look to be disastrous, and I'll try to remember in the future!

Sorry to hear about the setback TBG. I'm sure you'll bounce back fast!

Quick update. Potted Amarillo seems to be steaming ahead. Nice and bushy now and some easily visible buds slowly getting bigger. I'm thinking I got my potting mix right this year. In ground Amarillo isn't as big or bushy yet but there are some visible buds. Bring on the flowers and pods!

Potted Amarillo
ZmuH4Gbl.jpg

MjJ4yDbl.jpg

In ground Amarillo
LvSA0Hul.jpg

XsupFvjl.jpg

karoo said:
Great stuff and congrats!!!! :woohoo:

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
About time! :rofl:

Good stuff, KAOS leading the way.

Thanks guys.

It was a nice surprise when I went out to water. Granted it's only three of them turning ... on my least preferred plant ... and I'm still waiting on the bloody fat ones that are starting to look like farmers market Jalapenos with their corked skin.

Don't know about leading the way. Plenty big, but very few flowers so I guess time will tell.

KAOS said:
Nice going Drathag.

Good amount of pollen on that flower. Can't wait for it to pod.

First one is always a nice victory.
It was absolutely loaded with pollen! It's not isolated and there's plenty of flowers on my other plants - we'll see what happens!

How's everyone else going?

Good to see things progressing in the southern hemisphere!

The Aji Amarillo will drive you crazy with their slow-to-ripen
tendencies  :rofl:

Back